Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Weapons

George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
edited June 2023 in General Discussion
Some mmos that I have played allowed every character to hold a weapon and perform normal attacks with it. In those mmos some classes had unique, class skills that require a specific weapon to be equiped in order to activate.
A typical warrior would have, let's say 3-4 skills that required a polearm, 6-7 skills that required dual wield, 3-4 skills that required 1 handed weapons or two handed. Some skills could even be activate by two types of weapons.
The rogue of the same mmo could activate abilities with daggers and bows.
The knights mostly 1 handed/shield or two handed.
The archers 90% required bows. |
The mages required staves or magical swords.
All of the above classes had additional, non-attacking skills that could be activated to reinforce your stats or mobility, regardless of equipped weapon, yet when it came to ATTACKING you would see your character perform a motion with the equipped weapon and STRIKE the target. The weapon you spend so much time to craft or loot would NOT DISSAPEAR during combat.
Some supporting classes, like the bladedancer required dual wield for some skills. Most supporting classes and summoners would use a combination of bows, polearms, dual wield, 1h/shield or staves depending on the situation, however they didn't have many attacking abilities.
Many players would break the meta and use unconventional weapon combinations, sometimes making them the best players of the servers. But still. When it came to attacking, the weapon would not disappear from your hands.

Some mmos have weapon restrictions based on classes. Tera and FF14 for example pretty much tied the identity of the class to the attacking gameplay based on the weapon you'd choose to play with. Did you wannna play with a two handed sword? You'd be a tera slayer / ff14 dark knight, end of story. Did you wanna play with a 2 handed axe? You'd be a Tera berserker / FF14 warrior end of story. You couldn't have fun with another weapon, unless you made a new toon or in ff14 case (and L2) switched to a subclass.
The upside of these mmos where that classes (even though tied to a weapon gameplay) had a very distinct and rich identity.

ESO allowed every class to hold every weapon, with nice, striking animations for the skills-trees of each weapon. However, ESOs animations look glitched at competitive level, the meta is strong for rotational turtling/bursting PvP, and very small hotbars, which are mostly filled with buffs and only 1-2 attacking abilities. They ruined their combat.

I don't like BDO, but I like that they introduced two weapons per class. Their classes have also a strong, distinct identity. Ideally an mmo would create a large variety of classes that don't overlap with each other, and each of them has access to three weapons, so that people can create unique playstyles by either doubling down on one weapon, mastering it's combat, or become adept at switching weapons, covering a larger pool of roles and gameplays, based on the situation. The cherry on the top of the cake could be that all weapons could be visibly sheathed on the character like in Witcher 3, instead of pulling greatswords and bows out of their ass.

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited June 2023
    So what will AoC end up doing with weapons?

Will weapons be just items that, when equipped, you proc certain effects when spamming normal attack (Q or left-click) ?
    Will weapons be reduced in this mmo to mere stats/passive skills?

How separated will the archetype identity be from the weapon gameplay? "Ok, I am a Fighter and I cast spin-to-win and yellow magic hammers, running around with a bow" or will there be restrictions on the archetype abilities?

Will you be able to cast spin-to-win with a 1h/shield or only with a greatsword and daggers?
    How many abilities will the Fighter have with a requirement of each weapon type:
    dual wield
    greatsword
    great axe
    1h/shield
    polearm/spear/halbert

What about the rogue? What about the tank?

I am tired of hearing about lifeskilling in AoC, btw. A strong combat, class system and weapon-gameplay is the foundation of the characters we make in these games, mmos that is. Combat is the beginning of everything.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I am tired of hearing about lifeskilling in AoC, btw.
    Where have you heard so much about this that you are tired of it?

As to weapons, my preference is for a characters identity to be equally derived from class and weapon.

Specifically to Ashes, my hope is that all classes will be able to use all base abilities with any weapon, with any weapon restrictions being applied via augments.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Well, my dual wield ideation for my wizard has been kiboshed. Seems I will have to use the magical trinket to be min/maxed instead.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited June 2023
    Neurath wrote: »
    Well, my dual wield ideation for my wizard has been kiboshed. Seems I will have to use the magical trinket to be min/maxed instead.

Except min/maxed builds should only be required for end game content.

The vast majority of Ashes content should allow for dual-wielding wizards (if correctly balanced).
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Neurath wrote: »

Except min/maxed builds should only be required for end game content.

The vast majority of Ashes content should allow for dual-wielding wizards (if correctly balanced).

Yeah. You'll know I mean business when my sword is drawn and a shrunken head appears in my off hand lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Every developer I have ever interviewed have said the same thing: it's the crafting community that is the glue to these worlds.

RE: Your life skilling comment.
  • Options
    Fantmx wrote: »
    Every developer I have ever interviewed have said the same thing: it's the crafting community that is the glue to these worlds.

RE: Your life skilling comment.

Who have you interviewed?