Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Consequences of socially objectionable behavior

2»

Comments

• Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The actions of the toon reflect the character of the person playing it, without all the social constraints of the 'real world.' While game reputation does provide some constraint, someone who is an A-hole in life will be an A-hole in game.
  • Options
    Kilion wrote: »
    Depraved wrote: »
    problem with the list is i could just add people to that list because I don't like them, just to ruin their reputation.

Especially the first part sounds right to me, seeing how we will interact with overly sensitive teens and cozy solo lobby players. Which is why I would only support a personal journal to keep track of ones own experiences, rather than make these lists sharable. And for the same reason I suggested that you have to directly SEE the person standing in front of you to add them to the reputation files of your journal. Otherwise I fully agree people would just put others on black lists and share those to slander them.

in 20 years of mmorpg, I think I've only been kicked off of a party once so that I couldn't loot. and I've probs only done it 2-3 times to people who had scammed or done bad things to a friend or a guildie. id dare to say 99% of people wont kick or be kicked before looting.

And even if it were more than that - it seems like a worthwhile effort to adjust the software to check for actual participation in the fight rather than just group association upon opening the loot window.

I'm no software developer but I imagine the process to be something like this:
    1. Upon entering the fight: Add players in same group to a list.
    2. Check and tick box for participation in the fight based on archetype (since Intrepid already has a screening feature to spot bots it should be possible to extract data from that which confirms participation)
    3. Upon opening the loot window anyone on the open-fight list and who ticked the box for participation will be presented with the options earned through looting rights irrespective of whether they are still in the group or not, whether they are dead or not, irrespective of where they are.

This would also lock leeches out from getting loot they did not work for to earn.

Or make it a public vote to kick someone off the group.
    Or make such behavior reportable so that at least the one kicking will receive an ingame punishment - making them corrupt or lowering their reputation with the victims allies.

There are tons of options what could be done and I think what will ultimately be the line of action for Intrepid so that players can figure out how to deal with it themselves. And I think if that is what is going to happen taking responsibility like that can only be encouraged.

it would be easier to not allow kicking or inviting players to a party while they are in combat or at a certain distance e of a boss. also prevents some abuses in PVP =D
  • Options
    LaetitianLaetitian Member
    edited June 2023
    Nuub wrote: »
    My worst experiences in an MMO were when I experienced RL racism through the game, but after that, were the times felt victimized by disproportionate loot distribution. Makes me want to give up if I cannot earn a reward through merit and must also curry favor with the loot distributors.

I mean, chances are that if you get kicked from a party while completing a public dungeon boss, you still have your personal loot chance to the encounter. So you do have that chance to gain the loot through "merit." And compared to the average player in your party, your chance would only be a little over 10-15% lower (because they will still have tagging priority).
    Unless the game assigns all your threat/looting rights to the party while you're in it, and you don't get it back when you're kicked. Arguably, if that's how it works, that might be something to make a suggestion about. But again, we're talking about a pretty niche issue here.

In any case, for rare stuff, your solo loot chance is just a much lower chance than someone who's still in the party getting it, who happens to be the best candidate to be able to use the loot within that party.

The point of party loot distribution is to make it more reliable that some fair system, or someone who's trusted by most members of the party, will improve the chance that the loot goes where it can create the most value.
    If you're running dungeons with party leaders you don't trust, you have to be willing to take the (still fairly low!) chance that they might rip you off. If you are this opposed to that risk, just group with people you know. Or never group with anyone and see how much that will get you - just realise that you're reducing your chance of getting the stuff that you're most qualified for, and will have to trade your way to the stuff you need, which is fairly difficult when it comes to items in demand.
    Those are your options if you are that sensitive. It's a decent number of options to cope with your excessive sense of loss aversion and get satisfying results without every once in a while "losing" the rewards for investing 30-60 minutes of your life. If you want more options, be less sensitive, idk what to tell you...
    Most loot in the game will be trade materials, right? well, instead of a boss dropping one big certificate, drop 10 fragments of a certificate to promote more consistently even distribution.
    Yeah, also don't have any legendary equipment. Just give players item stat points for playing the game. :# /s
    No one but yourself can validate you for all the posts you *didn't* write.
  • Options
    KilionKilion Member
    problem with the list is i could just add people to that list because I don't like them, just to ruin their reputation.

Especially the first part sounds right to me, seeing how we will interact with overly sensitive teens and cozy solo lobby players. Which is why I would only support a personal journal to keep track of ones own experiences, rather than make these lists sharable. And for the same reason I suggested that you have to directly SEE the person standing in front of you to add them to the reputation files of your journal. Otherwise I fully agree people would just put others on black lists and share those to slander them.

in 20 years of mmorpg, I think I've only been kicked off of a party once so that I couldn't loot. and I've probs only done it 2-3 times to people who had scammed or done bad things to a friend or a guildie. id dare to say 99% of people wont kick or be kicked before looting.

And even if it were more than that - it seems like a worthwhile effort to adjust the software to check for actual participation in the fight rather than just group association upon opening the loot window.

2. Check and tick box for participation in the fight based on archetype (since Intrepid already has a screening feature to spot bots it should be possible to extract data from that which confirms participation)
    3. Upon opening the loot window anyone on the open-fight list and who ticked the box for participation will be presented with the options earned through looting rights irrespective of whether they are still in the group or not, whether they are dead or not, irrespective of where they are.

This would also lock leeches out from getting loot they did not work for to earn.

Or make such behavior reportable so that at least the one kicking will receive an ingame punishment - making them corrupt or lowering their reputation with the victims allies.

There are tons of options what could be done and I think what will ultimately be the line of action for Intrepid so that players can figure out how to deal with it themselves. And I think if that is what is going to happen taking responsibility like that can only be encouraged.

it would be easier to not allow kicking or inviting players to a party while they are in combat or at a certain distance e of a boss. also prevents some abuses in PVP =D

Yeah there could be fairly easy solutions for this from a programming perspective - if they are intended. Maybe that's what we need on this, a confirmation that Intrepid does not intend to further limit options of exploitation of "mercenary" type group members
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    LaetitianLaetitian Member
    edited June 2023

Yeah there could be fairly easy solutions for this from a programming perspective - if they are intended. Maybe that's what we need on this, a confirmation that Intrepid does not intend to further limit options of exploitation of "mercenary" type group members

I thought we just got exactly that confirmation, and that's what triggered this debate? This subsection of the debate seems a bit misguided to me.

Isn't that exact decision/principle that the quote here confirms, which was the impulse that this thread spawned from?
    In the context of the Q&A question, I am pretty sure "Yes, it will be possible (...)" is equivalent to "Yes, we plan not to prevent/prohibit (...)"
    No one but yourself can validate you for all the posts you *didn't* write.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Regarding disallowing adding members to groups near raid bosses: Sometimes a player will involuntarily be disconnected from the server while in a boss fight. When they log back in, still near the boss fight, they need to be added back to their party. We need to be able to do this.
  • Options
    I'm fully on board to have a Rating system for all players (1 star - 5 star, with comments). Someone go out of their way to help you? Give 'em 5 stars! They ninja loot? 1 star! If all you ever do is screw people over, then good luck finding a raid party with that 1.5 star rating....
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    "The best government is that which governs least." "That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves.".

Less tools by programming, more capacity for the community to regulate..
  • Options
    IskiabIskiab Member
    edited June 2023
    Just wanted to add that this is a PvX game. There’s less of this behaviour in PvP games because the player being wronged actually has recourse (in MMO PvP games at least).

It’s where the term ‘carebear’ came from. When someone makes you mad on a PvE server the only thing you could do is a ‘care bear stare’. On a PvP server people behave a lot differently because actions have consequences, and PvPers love drama because it makes PvP more interesting.