Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

We have a new Lead Game Designer: Bill Trost

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Quite a nice career, i expect him to be a good addition to the team and i wish him the best of luck.
    I believe it would be a good idea if the community could have some Q&A session with him,
    i'm pretty sure many would be interested in having him answer some questions.

The questions i'm probably most interested in are:

What was the specific "Additional Designs" that he worked on NW?

How familiarized(design-wise) he is with the main games Ashes of Creation draws inspirations from?
    (Lineage 2, Archeage, Star Wars Galaxies and Eve Online)

Considering EverQuest was the game he started with and had most experience in, which aspects of EverQuest design he considers the most important ones and which of those aspects he believes Ashes would benefit the most?
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    @JamesSunderland what inspiration do you feel came from EVE?
  • Options
    pyreal wrote: »
    @JamesSunderland what inspiration do you feel came from EVE?

"i'ts regionalized economy and risk vs reward in transportation."

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Inspiration
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    What happened with the former Lead Game Designer?
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    He left to pursue a career in VR gaming, which was apparently his passion.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Nice. Hopefully, he’s on board with what’s been developed so far, and doesn’t result in a lot of rework.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    CadrorCadror Member
    Does Mr. Trost plan on giving AOC content that didn't make into games like EQ2?

Some examples (not sure if any is his) found here: https://archive.rpgamer.com/games/everquest/eq2/eq2oldss.html
  • Options
    Welcome, Bill! I hope you'll find a good way to use your astonishing MMORPG-development experience to make AoC something amazing!

Hope to see you in one of the upcoming livestreams!
    lizhctbms6kg.png
  • Options
    VissoxVissox Member
    I didn't like everquest or New world, but I don't really know anything about Bill or what design decisions he got to make, so I have an overall neutral opinion about this.
  • Options
    PherPhurPherPhur Member
    edited July 2023
    WHIT3ROS3 wrote: »
    Congratulations to Bill Trost.
    BaSkA_9x2 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if saying you've worked on Amazon Games or New World should be something you're proud of.

I certainly hope some of you don't operate in real life like you do online. Jesus, What a disgustingly rude thing to say. I would be hugely proud to have worked at one of the biggest studios in the world for one of the biggest companies in the world, to create a New IP MMO that has sold 20 million odd copies.

Wtf are you even saying, Amazon games isn't a big studio, not by any stretch of the imagination. Did you write that just because Amazing is so massive?

And it sold 20 million copies cause it was a little bit of eye candy, an MMO(we've been desperate for years), had lots of promises that weren't delivered, and was sold from one of the largest businesses in the world, a household name.

Sold THAT many copies and is critically acclaimed to be in the bottom of the barrel of MMOs, so much so it's a lasting meme in the community, nice. Typical corporate cash grab. Gotm! I would be ashamed and denounce them, in hopes any respectable companies would look kindly onto picking me up. Which I'm sure, between Steven and him, he has. How could you not lol.
    5lntw0unofqp.gif
  • Options
    Ya love to see it. I hope he bring some of the greatness of Everquest into the modern age
  • Options
    Not to be rude but why would anyone be excited about a developer coming on that was responsible for new world that was a gigantic failure ?
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Rebutko wrote: »
    Not to be rude but why would anyone be excited about a developer coming on that was responsible for new world that was a gigantic failure ?

In part because the person in question basically invented the modern MMORPG genre.
  • Options

there are some nw devs working in aoc already. i think we met one in a past stream. there is nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    RebutkoRebutko Member
    edited September 2023
    Just please don’t make this game anything like EverQuest or new world. We need
    Noaani wrote: »

In part because the person in question basically invented the modern MMORPG genre.

I have mixed feelings here. I think the mmo genre needs a complete overhaul and fresh ways of thinking if it’s going to survive. I understand his experience is adept, but if old themes of a past era are brought into AoC it will become another one in the dust heap. I sincerely hope he brings his expertise but not his experience.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 2023
    Just please don’t make this game anything like EverQuest or new world. We need
    Noaani wrote: »

I have mixed feelings here. I think the mmo genre needs a complete overhaul and fresh ways of thinking if it’s going to survive. I understand his experience is adept, but if old themes of a past era are brought into AoC it will become another one in the dust heap. I sincerely hope he brings his expertise but not his experience.

I think you have it backwards here.

A part if the reason many MMO's recently have been shit is because they have strayed too far from the original intent and purpose of the genre.

Going back to those roots is what is needed, not running even further from them.

This is kind of what the grand plan for Ashes is - Steven used to even wear a "Make MMO's Great Again" hat to reinforce that this is the goal.

As to New World and Bill's experiences with it, I would wager his major lesson from that is to avoid rigid deadlines - release the game when it's ready - not that I expect he had any say in the matter when it was Amazon corporate that essentially demanded the final release date (they wanted New World to be the cornerstone of Amazon Games).
  • Options
    Would be cool to see him on a livestream.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 2023

He wasn't responsible for New World. He worked on it but wasn't a lead on it.

If working on something == responsible for it then I'm afraid to tell you Ashes has an employee that used to work on Chronicles of Elyria.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    Talents wrote: »
    If working on something == responsible for it then I'm afraid to tell you Ashes has an employee that used to work on Chronicles of Elyria.
    We. Are. All. Doomed.

Ashes is a scam confirmed :s
  • Options
    [lp

That is entirely based on your position, the higher the position the more responsibilities you have.....I feel like you were trying to word this another way... You can definitely be responsible for a good amount of elements depending, though it doesn't mean everything is clear cut.

Not that there is much point on trying to assume what is right or wrong exactly unless you are told exactly why, or worked in the company and know.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Bill Trost was Creative Director for New World. I dunno how that does not count as a Lead.
    Ombwah is a Senior Quest Designer for Ashes - not Lead Quest Designer.

Creative Director does not mean Amazon Execs cannot dictate that their game must be more PvE friendly.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »

Bill Trost was Creative Director for New World. I dunno how that does not count as a Lead.
    Ombwah is a Senior Quest Designer for Ashes - not Lead Quest Designer.

Creative Director does not mean Amazon Execs cannot dictate that their game must be more PvE friendly.

That is actually interesting, didn't know he was the creative director and new world was designed as more of a survival pvp mmorpg to begin with before all the changes.
  • Options
    Honestly, I completely forgot they filled this role.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Hoping to see Bill join Steven and Margaret on the devstreams soon.
  • Options
    i thought tnw director was scot lane. bill is listed as additional design under nw credits.
  • Options
    well, this is the credits page from new world...

https://www.newworld.com/en-us/game/credits-launch

bill is listed as additional design.
  • Options
    I've been an EQ player since the beginning, and Kunark and Velious are some of my favorite expansions. I'm hoping he can bring some of that magic to Ashes!
  • Options
    Hi Bill, glad the guy that made a lot of the games I spent years and years playing is on the team! We're in good hands (always were, but even more so now)!
    i0xzy5byic4r.png