Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

I had an idea concerning packs/pacs you can earn in game.

I was thinking from a completionist standpoint; I thought it would be neat that if you completed all quest in an area you could get a cultural pack as a reward, a mount of the most common animal in that area, clothing options common in that area, building options, different stuff you would normally buy in your store. Some of us dont have alot of disposable income, and another way to get mounts/cloths/building/etc would be cool.

Since completing all the quest would probably be too easy, and each node needs to be fought over with quests, instead make it an arbitrary number like 1000 or 10,000 quest completed.

Or make it like a WoW achievement; All areas explored, all normal quest lines completed for the different types of nodes, and successfully participating in the progression in all steps of every node type.

Just a thought...

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited June 2023
    What a shallow type of gameplaying.
    They offer you the greatest concept of a changing, living, fantasy world to adventure in and you are worried about a tab... about an icon... about a number that will be different that 100%?

Is that the best that the likes of wow had to offer? Instanced repetitive content and collection checklists. Checklists that had 0 impact in anyones gameplay and were there just to keep you from consuming the same, stale content?
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    My though:

These cosmetics were far better used to support the early and ongoing development by people that actually got involved before all the hype, and this use was better than providing cheap gameplay loops like in wow and the other gottacatchemall "mmos" out there
  • Options
    WHIT3ROS3WHIT3ROS3 Member
    edited June 2023
    I like achievements and collectibles so would love to see them spread across the world and having some fun cosmetic items as completionist rewards would be nice.
    They offer you the greatest concept of a chsning, live, fantasy world to adventure in and you are worried about a tab... about an icon... about a number that will be different that 100%.

Do you even play MMO's? What?
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited June 2023
    Steven has confirmed there will be in-game cosmetic rewards that are similar to the the pre-order packs, @juniorwizzard ... no issues there.

Although George's delivery can be abrasive sometimes, he does have a point.

If you decide to only participate in questing/exploration in Ashes, you restrict yourself to those in-game rewards. There are other playstyles such as PvP, crafting, raids, world bosses (and so on) that will have their own rewards.

In other words, I wouldn't be optimistic that cosmetic rewards will be weighted heavily in favor of questing completionism ... just because that's the playstyle you most enjoy.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    If you decide to only participate in questing/exploration in Ashes, you restrict yourself to those in-game rewards.

I don't think anyone has mentioned only doing one type of content. Although AoC being a sandbox means that people can pretty much do as they please. If someone wants to spend their time exploring and only that, that's up to them.
  • Options
    WHIT3ROS3 wrote: »
    I like achievements and collectibles so would love to see them spread across the world and having some fun cosmetic items as completionist rewards would be nice.
    They offer you the greatest concept of a chsning, live, fantasy world to adventure in and you are worried about a tab... about an icon... about a number that will be different that 100%.

Do you?
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited June 2023

Do you?

Your idea of what an MMO is and literally everyone else's idea of what an MMO is are not the same.

A game like an MMO needs (as in - actually NEEDS) to have things in it that dont appeal to you. The value in an MMO - as I am sure you yourself will agree - is the community all playing together.

If an MMO only contains things that appeal to you, then that community will be limited to people exactly like you. If that MMO contains things that appeal to others, then the community will contain a larger variety of people, and thus be a richer community.

I dont give a shit about achievements, nor about cosmetics. I have no desire at all to interact with what the OP is talking about.

However, I am aware enough to recognize that other people love achievements and cosmetics, and having things like this in a game will lead to a wider variety of people playing Ashes.

Since this can be added to the game in a way where it does not negatively impact other aspects of gameplay (as opposed to a family summons, for example, which would negatively impact other aspects of the game), then even though i would never interact with this at all, adding it to the game can be nothing but a positive thing.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You will never "100%" Ashes. There will be achievements, there will be collectibles. All the bells and whistles. But from all past statements over the course of development, certain content may never appear on your server based on decisions the players on that server make on which nodes to support, which season and area those nodes are active in, and a host of other factors. Where other mmos have a list of achievements you can earn, with those not earned "greyed" out, giving you hints as to what you are missing, it would drive tiny minds to terror of loss if they listed them. Most likely you will get a notification when you do get one, there may be a "tab" that lists them as earned or completed and the relevant rewards such as titles or cosmetics that come with it.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Achievements
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    I hope there will be a huge Achievement tab where the completionists can go through and try everything to do it all and i hope the rewards will include Cosmetics and Mounts so i think the idea is really good.
    I just want to travel through the World and complete many Achievements in every Region
    uwu
  • Options
    I just hope they don't do the same kind of set just 5 different colors 😂. Other than that I'm sure there would be in-game skins to achieve in various ways.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Do you?

Yes. Many. I understand the very simple and basic premise that there should be content in MMORPG's that appeal to different types of people so that you get a rich and diverse community playing it. If the game was made explicitly for you then nobody would play it, because it would suck.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I just hope they don't do the same kind of set just 5 different colors 😂. Other than that I'm sure there would be in-game skins to achieve in various ways.

97ouu0ei5y2v.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

Do you?

Your idea of what an MMO is and literally everyone else's idea of what an MMO is are not the same.

A game like an MMO needs (as in - actually NEEDS) to have things in it that dont appeal to you. The value in an MMO - as I am sure you yourself will agree - is the community all playing together.

If an MMO only contains things that appeal to you, then that community will be limited to people exactly like you. If that MMO contains things that appeal to others, then the community will contain a larger variety of people, and thus be a richer community.

I dont give a shit about achievements, nor about cosmetics. I have no desire at all to interact with what the OP is talking about.

However, I am aware enough to recognize that other people love achievements and cosmetics, and having things like this in a game will lead to a wider variety of people playing Ashes.

Since this can be added to the game in a way where it does not negatively impact other aspects of gameplay (as opposed to a family summons, for example, which would negatively impact other aspects of the game), then even though i would never interact with this at all, adding it to the game can be nothing but a positive thing.

then we should have instances where people can hide 24/7, microtransactions, equalized arenas, auto farm etc etc etc. because those things appeal to people, and then we will have a bigger diversity of players.

when do you stop adding things? ;)
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    You stop when it hurts the core game.

Instances that people can hide in 24/7 hurt the game. Instances that people can not hide in 24/7 do not hurt the game.

Microtransactions that increase player power hurt the game. Microtransactions that are cosmetic only do not hurt the game.

Auto farming for materials would hurt the game. Going out and gathering materials manually would not hurt the game.

Now, each of the above will have people that disagree. There absolutely are people that think the cosmetic shop runs the game, and there are people that think any instance would ruin the game. In most cases though, these disagreements are based on false assumptions people make about them.

Nothing in the OPs suggestion hurts the core of the game.
  • Options
    You stop when it hurts the core game.

Instances that people can hide in 24/7 hurt the game. Instances that people can not hide in 24/7 do not hurt the game.

Microtransactions that increase player power hurt the game. Microtransactions that are cosmetic only do not hurt the game.

Auto farming for materials would hurt the game. Going out and gathering materials manually would not hurt the game.

Now, each of the above will have people that disagree. There absolutely are people that think the cosmetic shop runs the game, and there are people that think any instance would ruin the game. In most cases though, these disagreements are based on false assumptions people make about them.

Nothing in the OPs suggestion hurts the core of the game.

well, there are very successful games with those mechanics, so they don't hurt the game???

they might hurt ashes tho, who knows? what op suggests seems reasonable, but too many achievements can be overwhelming too, especially if they give a nice reward.

I was replying to you since I think what you said is incorrect, since at some point you have to stop adding things. you go into a direction and add things that move the game in that direction. you can have other good ideas and not add them because they would move the game in a different direction.
  • Options
    well, there are very successful games with those mechanics, so they don't hurt the game???
    Those games had a different game[play goal than Ashes.

It is fairly safe to say that essentially unlimited instanced content didn't hurt WoW. That doesn't mean it wouldn't hurt a game with a different gameplay goal.
    I was replying to you since I think what you said is incorrect, since at some point you have to stop adding things. you go into a direction and add things that move the game in that direction. you can have other good ideas and not add them because they would move the game in a different direction.
    This kind of thing fits in with my comment above - if it doesn't hurt the game, you add it.

From a developer perspective though, this means you take in to account the resources that it takes to add it.

One of the reasons basically every game has achievements these days is because they take basically no development time.

I personally think they are stupid. However, the time it takes to add them to the game literally couldn't be spent better anywhere else. They are the easiest value add you attatch to a game once that game is made.

Now, if someone said Ashes should add in a horse racing circuit with like 20 tracks all over the games world, racing seasons, prizes etc, then I would say it sounds cool, but perhaps doesnt fit in with Ashes all that well. Take the same idea and switch it to ship racing and that may well fit Ashes well - but now I would say that the considerable amount of development time to add it to the game would be better spent elsewhere.
  • Options

It is fairly safe to say that essentially unlimited instanced content didn't hurt WoW. That doesn't mean it wouldn't hurt a game with a different gameplay goal.
    This kind of thing fits in with my comment above - if it doesn't hurt the game, you add it.

From a developer perspective though, this means you take in to account the resources that it takes to add it.

One of the reasons basically every game has achievements these days is because they take basically no development time.

I personally think they are stupid. However, the time it takes to add them to the game literally couldn't be spent better anywhere else. They are the easiest value add you attatch to a game once that game is made.

Now, if someone said Ashes should add in a horse racing circuit with like 20 tracks all over the games world, racing seasons, prizes etc, then I would say it sounds cool, but perhaps doesnt fit in with Ashes all that well. Take the same idea and switch it to ship racing and that may well fit Ashes well - but now I would say that the considerable amount of development time to add it to the game would be better spent elsewhere.

you are agreeing with me .-.

also, there are things that don't hurt the game and u still shouldn't add them...
  • Options

you are agreeing with me .-.

also, there are things that don't hurt the game and u still shouldn't add them...

No, they do hurt the game.

They hurt the game because of what adding them would mean cant be added instead. When I said "Since this can be added to the game in a way where it does not negatively impact other aspects of gameplay", that was taking in to account potential opportunity loss.
  • Options
    you cant add everything that can be added in a way where it does not negatively impact other aspects of gameplay, that will cause feature creep. the game needs a direction. therefore, you will miss potential players who would play the game if a certain feature existed, and at the same time, you will get players who will play the game since that feature doesn't exist. hence my examples with MT, instances, etc
  • Options
    you cant add everything that can be added in a way where it does not negatively impact other aspects of gameplay, that will cause feature creep.

Feature creep is the negative impact.

Again, it was taken in to account right from when I first said "Since this can be added to the game in a way where it does not negatively impact other aspects of gameplay", there is no need to expand any further on it.
  • Options
    feature creep doesnt necessarily impact the game negatively. more features are added to games overtime.
    again, everything that can be added to the game that doesn't negatively impact other aspects of gameplay cant and shall not be added, therefore you will always miss on players...but there will be people who will lay because those things don't exist, so you arent necessarily missing out on players, you are just replacing bob for tom