Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Cosmetics & Monthly Price

I've been looking at Ashes of Creation game development, and what's been produced appears to be very promising! The graphics and mechanics seem great, and I can't wait for the game's release. I do have a few questions, though...

Is the game hard set on a $15/month subscription fee?
MMORPGs are great as an escape and an adventure, but having a monthly fee is something that really wards off casual players. In my opinion, an upfront cost to buy the game followed by future purchases for large expansions seems much more enticing of a model than the monthly money drain...

Also, don't you think Ashes of Creation has gone a bit heavy on pre-release cosmetics?
From my tally, the Songs of the Sea pre-order package appears to have been the 50th cosmetic bundle since the game's announcement. Don't get me wrong, the items are visually appealing, but I think it would be great to save more cosmetics for the game's release. Cosmetic-wise, it looks like potential players are getting milked more than the cows in the Alpha Two Freehold Update.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I prefer $15/m, because that's easier to pay than $70 and then 30-40 for each expansion. Intrepid get more money this way too.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The owners won't make enough money for a upfront cost, expansion fee and buy to play model. I doubt the owners would make enough on a free to play model without P2W and P4C. The only way we will be able to play the game is through the subscription model. Some of us have enough cosmetics for life and for multiple toons already lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    RazThemunRazThemun Member
    edited July 2023
    I prefer a monthly sub fee than a high box price. Rather $15-20 a month than an $80 box price and then expansion box prices. Some games also do both. If the game is good then it is worth paying the monthly sub. If content dries up you can unsub and it costs nothing until you choose to return.
  • Options
    the ideal model is the monthly sub, but having it only take effect after you reach level 10 or something, so you are already hooked
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    not to be too snobbish, the monthly $15 will keep the amount of bozos to a minimum and maybe bots
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    g0lvqekr99oz.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Kionashi wrote: »
    the ideal model is the monthly sub, but having it only take effect after you reach level 10 or something, so you are already hooked

The issue is if the game is F2P until lvl 10, all the trolls, gold sellers, spammers, and general losers will stay under that to make unlimited accts.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think that the $15/month is very reasonable, cheap in fact.

If I take a lady out to dinner and spend $15 on her I don't expect near the pleasure I would get on a month of playing AoC. Heck, as ugly as I am I could spend a year's subscription on the date and be lucky to get a kiss on the cheek at the end of the evening!
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    A sub model is better.

It gives Intrepid the chance to do media buying and ad spend all year round vs only marketing during expansion releases. Will make a lot more money with a sub model.

m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    PherPhurPherPhur Member
    edited July 2023
    A sub model pays for the very large servers it takes to run every day, in this case the price of the game development as well(and the expansions), plus the cherry on the top is it dissuades people from just making a new account if they get banned.

Though for the few non bot farmers that get caught it's just the cost of operating.
    5lntw0unofqp.gif