Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Fortified Freeholds

NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited July 2023 in General Discussion
Inspired by this post by @JustVine , I want to hear what you guys think about fortifying our freeholds to some extent?
JustVine wrote: »
Mechanics of Theft: So I am really glad the team seems to have taken my criticism from years ago about how we needed the ability to steal from farmers or threaten them in some way, but there are some flaws with the current intended implementation. First of all nothing about security or defenses were noted and I think that is a real shame. You spoke a lot about the ability to customize your freehold, but let's face it, if you intend to introduce THAT much risk to a person using their freehold, no one is going to want to do it without options for more security. Guard NPC's and Pet monsters that when killed give the attacking players a small amount of corruption would be a great start. We should also think about giving players blueprints for walls, turrets, magical clouds of debuff effects and explosions, general traps, even ballistae. What is the saying? The home is a persons castle? Why not just roll with that now that freeholds are big enough to be a landed nobles estate. You definitely have enough room to do so and you will be implementing similar mechanics for node seiges and defenses anyway.

Over all I'm glad some risk was added to the system, but think we need ways to mitigate it somewhat.

With the shift from freeholds being primarily for single users to a more group/family oriented focus, and triple the size, I think it makes sense to add some defenses.

Especially with the new exclusivity they've introduced to freehold ownership (and that I hope they change to much less exclusivity), let us be able to defend the freehold properly after a successful node siege, as well as in general during normal gameplay.

Let us add walls tall enough that players can't just jump over them, and gates that require some time to break down. Let's be able to hire NPC guards manning an archer tower with turrets. The animal husbandry people should definitely be able to have guard animals roaming around. And like JustVine suggested, traps and magic clouds and so on.

I am not talking about a full fortress here, it still primarily a homestead, but please give us something. It should increase the monthly upkeep significantly of course, so players have to do a cost benefit analysis if they want to focus on profits.

I'd still rather we go back to smaller freeholds but many more of them than with the current change, but failing that, give us proper defenses please.

Comments

• Options
    I also suggested a few posts before to have some fortifications on the freeholds, so I agree :)
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Yep. I've been a vocal proponent of high walls and gates ever since we learned that others can pvp us on the footprint of our freehold. And with them now being even more luxurious and party-based - I'm even more for it. If freeholds gonna be one of the biggest player investments in the game - we better fucking be able to defend them when our node inevitably gets sieged.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    Yep. I've been a vocal proponent of high walls and gates ever since we learned that others can pvp us on the footprint of our freehold. And with them now being even more luxurious and party-based - I'm even more for it. If freeholds gonna be one of the biggest player investments in the game - we better fucking be able to defend them when our node inevitably gets sieged.

My take is the other way, you should be more vulnerable when your node loses. It should be that you want to defend it to begin with knowing the consequences. The node losing should be a big deal and open more land up for new people to old freeholds than the current ones staying in control.
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    NiKr wrote: »

My take is the other way, you should be more vulnerable when your node loses. It should be that you want to defend it to begin with knowing the consequences. The node losing should be a big deal and open more land up for new people to old freeholds than the current ones staying in control.

If the node went down, it faced a stronger enemy. Most likely the freeholds will go down too. Having some defense will not move the balance much.
    It will give a 2nd chance though. If that is good or bad depends on which side you are.
    Also the defensive structures should use the place of other buildings which would otherwise produce some income. It would be a balancing decision from player side: more money or more defense.
  • Options
    Am I missing something here? I remember them saying on stream/reading on discord that you can't steal or mess with resources from another player's freehold.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Ace1234 wrote: »
    Am I missing something here? I remember them saying on stream/reading on discord that you can't steal or mess with resources from another player's freehold.
    Nerror is talking about failed sieges. Giving players a better chance for their last stand.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ace1234 wrote: »

Steal by pking while they or their npcs are farming. Ez. The point is, you can't collect stuff on your freehold without risk to yourself or your crop even if it's not direct theft in a mechanical sense.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    I would assume there a timer leading up to a war on a node i think in this time freehold owners should also be able to prepare for war on there doorsteps by allowing them to reinforce there freehold incase the pillaging comes to them afterwards.
    the fortifications shouldnt be permament otherwise all freehold will become mini forts with walls however leading up to a node war freehold owners should be able to build some pallistide walls/basic defensives to adda little more defence (just like wooden walls with 2 gates on either side just to reduce the entrances in for the vunerability purposes. Afterwards the vunerable period the walls should come down though.
    Could make these walls be buildable like 10meters from the footprint of the freehold aswell so it doesnt clip into anything built already.

This also adds a resource sink too since you would need to construct resources to build them aswell.