Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why sell us freehold skins if 99% of players can't use them?

ClintHardwoodClintHardwood Member
edited July 2023 in General Discussion
AFAIK, most alpha 2 access packs are bundled with freehold skins, and many of us bought them thinking we would be able to use them. But now that freeholds are extremely scarce, and even if you manage to get one only one of nine family members get to display their skins there, can we get compensation for that part of the pack? I would happily take several months of subscription instead. A complete refund would work too so we can buy a different pack.

Comments

• Options
    Isn't the main thing you're buying the Alpha 2 access and the freehold skin is just a bonus?
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You'll get embers for unwanted skins but I suggest you keep the skins just in case.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    It's not 99%, it depends on how hardcore you are. Get into a large guild, work the corporate ladder and eventually you'll earn your right to a freehold paid by the guild
  • Options
    pgt1027 wrote: »
    Isn't the main thing you're buying the Alpha 2 access and the freehold skin is just a bonus?

For the alpha key and the subscription time, mostly. I'm normally not one for cosmetics, but I thought we would get to use them.
  • Options
    BlackBrony wrote: »
    It's not 99%, it depends on how hardcore you are. Get into a large guild, work the corporate ladder and eventually you'll earn your right to a freehold paid by the guild

But I'm still competing with the other 8 members of my family to show off my skins.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

But I'm still competing with the other 8 members of my family to show off my skins.

Just be the family head and implement your own skins. You don't have to use other people's skins if you don't want to then.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options

Ashes is just like real life. Those who came first get all the goodies. If you came in late, you need connections or money (wink wink).
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Ashes is just like real life. Those who came first get all the goodies. If you came in late, you need connections or money (wink wink).

I would be okay with that if that was what was promised in regards to freeholds, but what was promised is that we would have a use for these skins and easy access to the content locked behind freeholds. I understand that things change during development, but if something you sold can no longer be used as promised, not offering an alternate or better replacement is definitely misleading and to an extent fraudulent.
  • Options
    AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    AFAIK, most alpha 2 access packs are bundled with freehold skins, and many of us bought them thinking we would be able to use them. But now that freeholds are extremely scarce, and even if you manage to get one only one of nine family members get to display their skins there, can we get compensation for that part of the pack? I would happily take several months of subscription instead. A complete refund would work too so we can buy a different pack.

please back up your claim that 99% wont be able to get one?
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Abarat wrote: »

please back up your claim that 99% wont be able to get one?

The claim was 99% of players won't be able to use their freehold skins. There are a planned 50K registered players per server, and at generous estimate of 10 freeholds per node capable of housing (65 nodes at t3+), that's 10*65=650 freeholds per server. Only one set of skins can be applied per freehold, which means approximately 1% of the playerbase will be able to use their freehold skins.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    The claim was 99% of players won't be able to use their freehold skins. There are a planned 50K registered players per server, and at generous estimate of 10 freeholds per node capable of housing (65 nodes at t3+), that's 10*65=650 freeholds per server. Only one set of skins can be applied per freehold, which means approximately 1% of the playerbase will be able to use their freehold skins.
    Did I miss it in the stream? When did they say only one set? Iirc cosmetics are building-specific and there was enough space for ~6 buildings in the freeholds that were shown.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    NiKr wrote: »
    Did I miss it in the stream? When did they say only one set? Iirc cosmetics are building-specific and there was enough space for ~6 buildings in the freeholds that were shown.

No, you didn't miss anything, but not all 6 spots will have a building, and even if they did with one person each getting to place one skin, that's still a maximum of 8% of people that can use a freehold skin at any time. That's with extremely generous numbers. Realistically it'll probably be one or two percent.
  • Options
    i mean tbh i was only buying pre order for acess to alpha 2 the cosmetic was a bonus
    Referral Code : 8GTVW547SYDTHE6Nashesofcreation.com/r/8GTVW547SYDTHE6N
  • Options
    PherPhurPherPhur Member
    edited July 2023

You thinking you can actually grind hard enough to get a freehold is precious.

You ever seen a group of Indonesian gold farmers play an MMO? You know that having a freehold allows you to dominate the market with exclusive grandmaster benches right?
    5lntw0unofqp.gif
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2023
    This is a very valid question. A product was sold without a disclaimer that it would be hard or at times impossible to use. I'm sure if that been mentioned, fewer would have been bought.

Here I was worried that some skins would only be available at certain tiers, which also was not explicitly stated, and instead that is true AND we now know that many people will find them useless for long periods of time.

It is what it is but I could see some people who have spent a lot of money having an issue with this.

Imagine buying a television, getting it home and finding out it only worked in Tuesdays as long as you won the raffle.
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    You pay to support the game and play alpha 2, they give you EXTRA stuff but you just complain.

Stop paying for unreleased games, make better decisions, specially if your brain can't handle investing.