Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Suggestion: click to move + wasd

The main benefit from my perspective is camera independent of movement. Being able to run south regardless of whether the camera is facing south. I can kite away in a direction by left clicking the ground. While running I can hold right click to rotate the camera to survey all directions. I pan around to see an assassin hot on my tail and choose the perfect moment to turn on my pursuer. So the control scheme is helpful in PvP and adds an additional layer to gameplay.

The option to move with left click adds a precision to movement. Click exactly where you want your character to go and cancel this input with the escape key. It also allows us to focus that keyboard hand on activating skills, potions, and pressing key modifiers alt shift and control.

This control scheme can give respite to our keyboard hand after hours of wasd movement, which is still ofcourse our movement bread and butter.

The control scheme worked wonderfully in Guildwars 1. The 2005 tab targetting MMO, which is still active today, provides wasd and click to move simultaneously. PvP friends and I enjoy zooming out the camera and playing the game like a MOBA 🥰😂

We really arent sure if Arenanet intended things to go this way, but the game was, for the first few years of its life, intended for Esports.

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    How does it work with action combat?
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    With click to move characters can turn on a dime, which has certain implications.

Whichever way your character is facing is the direction your action combat skills will activate.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    How would you aim a ranged weapon with free aim?
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    We don't need 20+ year old click to move mechanics in a mmorpg no thanks lmao. That is in BDO and people used that to exploit bugs in the game.
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    We don't need 20+ year old click to move mechanics in a mmorpg no thanks lmao. That is in BDO and people used that to exploit bugs in the game.

Click to move is in WoW, and as you mentioned BDO. My understanding of the BDO mechanics you speak of, is actually micro skill related. Nobody here is in favour of exploits.

I am sure Intrepid are open to control schemes which raise the skill ceiling.
  • Options
    Boomers gonna boom.
  • Options
    theChazztheChazz Member
    edited July 2023
    KingDDD wrote: »
    Boomers gonna boom.

I acknowledge my boomer status but you must concede all the high quality & popular MMOs are decades old 😤😂

Stevens inspiration for Ashes comes exclusively from very old titles.
  • Options
    KingDDD wrote: »
    Boomers gonna boom.

Cause they want to relive this exact gameplay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwfOYJDfznc