Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Idea: Adding Truffle Farming as an Alternative to Pig Killing

GrokeGroke Member
edited July 2023 in General Discussion
While I don't have any qualms about the pig-killing aspect, pigs were used for truffle collection back in the days. It might be interesting to explore an alternative method of raising them that involves truffle farming. This would not only add more depth to the husbandry mechanics but also provide players with the choice between instant bacon through slaughter or a long-term investment in truffle harvesting.

Comments

  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2023
    It would be kind of funny if players could put their best pig on a leash and take a walk in the forest to find truffles nearby.
  • Options
    alakoralakor Member
    but how will get tasty bacon?

    actually this could lead to an interesting mechanic. Maybe we should have an animal rep system. You can use your pig to hunt for truffles, but kill too many and the pigs will revolt lol. maybe they will attack, maybe you will only find poisonous mushrooms or they will lead you to an elite mob hehe.
  • Options
    I mentioned this in my feedback comment as well, glad to see I'm not the only one who thought of it. It could be an alternative husbandry path where you breed better truffle/mushroom-hunters than meat-producers. If the gathering process had to be contained within the freehold, you could maybe get some magical resources together to plant some special trees inside the freehold that provide the necessary nutrients/conditions for truffles to grow and bring the pig around to those spots.
  • Options
    superhero6785superhero6785 Member
    edited July 2023
    I wouldn't mind being able to just "gather" truffles from a pig, similar to gathering milk from a cow. Just a simple mechanical implementation of the idea behind "pigs generate truffles". Also a nice touch for our vegetarian friends to get more use out of their farm animals.
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • Options
    GrokeGroke Member
    Sengarden wrote: »
    I mentioned this in my feedback comment as well, glad to see I'm not the only one who thought of it. It could be an alternative husbandry path where you breed better truffle/mushroom-hunters than meat-producers. If the gathering process had to be contained within the freehold, you could maybe get some magical resources together to plant some special trees inside the freehold that provide the necessary nutrients/conditions for truffles to grow and bring the pig around to those spots.

    That sounds super cool! I love the idea of breeding pigs for certain attributes, I love whenever there is a cross between professions such as the gathering one.
  • Options
    GrokeGroke Member
    I wouldn't mind being able to just "gather" truffles from a pig, similar to gathering milk from a cow. Just a simple mechanical implementation of the idea behind "pigs generate truffles". Also a nice touch for our vegetarian friends to get more use out of their farm animals.

    That was my thought aswell, just a simple "collect", even then it would be more interesting for the player than how it stands atm where it seems like the right choice always is to kill. Simply clicking one button isn't enjoyable, but when a button press leads to both positive and negative outcomes, it adds depth and purpose to the game. And like you mention, there is no downside to giving as many people as possible a option.
  • Options
    GrokeGroke Member
    Nerror wrote: »
    It would be kind of funny if players could put their best pig on a leash and take a walk in the forest to find truffles nearby.

    that would be super cute, maybe even digging up other rare regeants could be an option :smiley:
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    I love the PvP implications of players walking their pigs to find truffles. Sounds like a vulnerable process.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    GrokeGroke Member
    Dolyem wrote: »
    I love the PvP implications of players walking their pigs to find truffles. Sounds like a vulnerable process.

    You're gonna have to bring a group of people to protect you walking your pig :D
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    Also to add to the idea. You could perhaps breed better pigs for more success in truffle farming. Adding different values to its you can find or raise. This would also give cause to protect your investment.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2023
    Groke wrote: »
    Dolyem wrote: »
    I love the PvP implications of players walking their pigs to find truffles. Sounds like a vulnerable process.

    You're gonna have to bring a group of people to protect you walking your pig :D

    Bringing back the whole PvPig thing from the stream :wink: It'll be like caravan PvP with defenders and attackers.
  • Options
    Never really been fussed with truffles. I'll stick to the bacon.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
Sign In or Register to comment.