Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Freehold Insurance

LughlaochLughlaoch Member
edited July 2023 in General Discussion
Based on the last update video and the freehold discussion/video, sounds like it's possible to have a freehold destroyed. Considering the seeming vast amount of time and money one could invest in the creation of their piece of paradise, what type of insurance policy could I buy to protect my investment. Not kidding. Going for realism here? I don't know that I have the playtime or tenacity for a freehold, but just the thought (as in life) of losing my home to circumstances outside my control would deter my from investing without some way of recouping my time & money should disaster strike. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    invest on people, they will help you defend it.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Depraved wrote: »

Investing in people is one of the lowest returns possible.

I mean, all it takes is someone with slightly deeper pockets and not only is your investment lost, but it could turn out to be the thing that takes you out.
  • Options
    Protect your node to protect your investment thats what you can do.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

I mean, all it takes is someone with slightly deeper pockets and not only is your investment lost, but it could turn out to be the thing that takes you out.

what i mean is make friends, join a guild, etc...defend your things together .-.
  • Options

what i mean is make friends, join a guild, etc...defend your things together .-.

Never trust anyone you meet in game.

For all you know, that person you met in game could be me.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited July 2023

nah ur in europe imma be in na east xDDD

trust to a point.. but yeah ive had some bad experiences trusting people in a game..but if you can never trust anyone, you can never get anything done. you trust to the point of being able to handle the consequences if there is a betrayal, and not more than that.
  • Options

nah ur in europe imma be in na east xDDD

trust to a point.. but yeah ive had some bad experiences trusting people in a game..but if you can never trust anyone, you can never get anything done.

You don't know where I am or where I will play.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited July 2023
    i thought you were in europe for some reason.

is this you? https://www.instagram.com/noaani/?hl=en

maybe you are in asia :D:D:D
  • Options
    Nope, I don't use Instagram - or any social media.
  • Options
    the ig thing was a joke...
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    i thought you were in europe for some reason.

is this you? https://www.instagram.com/noaani/?hl=en

maybe you are in asia :D:D:D

Noaani, people who drink that much Green Tea are usually friendly. What the hell happened?
  • Options
    Lughlaoch wrote: »
    I don't know that I have the playtime or tenacity for a freehold, but just the thought (as in life) of losing my home to circumstances outside my control would deter my from investing without some way of recouping my time & money should disaster strike. Thoughts?

Loss is going to be a big part of this game, whether it's node loss, freehold loss, resource loss, etc.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    LegendaryIIILegendaryIII Member
    edited July 2023
    Based on the last update video and the freehold discussion/video, sounds like it's possible to have a freehold destroyed. Considering the seeming vast amount of time and money one could invest in the creation of their piece of paradise, what type of insurance policy could I buy to protect my investment. Not kidding. Going for realism here? I don't know that I have the playtime or tenacity for a freehold, but just the thought (as in life) of losing my home to circumstances outside my control would deter my from investing without some way of recouping my time & money should disaster strike. Thoughts?

Insurance as we think of it in real life, where your home burns down, you get reimbursed.
    That's not happening. Goes against the games philosophies.

The previous post is right as far as protecting your home from looters after a successful Siege.
    Hire guards. Friends, Guildies, Mercenaries.

The rest, as I understand it...
    it's a bit unclear...

Your FreeHold will crumble either immediately after looting time is over, or a week passes, or only if it's not within another T3+ nodes ZOI.
    I've seen so much conflicting information, I don't know which is true, or how much you lose.

Maybe I'll just go live in an Inn after all...

Please correct anything I am mistaken about, or add any further details. Thanks.
    Deep into that Darkness peering. Long there I stood; Wondering, Fearing, Doubting...
  • Options
    Your FreeHold will crumble either immediately after looting time is over, or a week passes, or only if it's not within another T3+ nodes ZOI.
    I've seen so much conflicting information, I don't know which is true, or how much you lose.

Current plan is that for two hours after a successful siege, the Freeholds are open to attack. You can try defending your Freehold, which seems rather unlikely given that the attacking army has just broken an entire city, or you can try bribing them with cash or feet-pics. Or you can just sit and hope that they pass you by.

After that, there's a week's period where you get to either re-zone the Freehold into an adjacent node, or desperately try to power-level the destroyed node to Village status again. If neither of these happens, then it's destroyed and lost.

Either way, on the Freehold destruction, you get mailed a blueprint of your Freehold layout to make setting a new one easier. Assuming you can find space for a new one!

This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Freehold_destructibility
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

Either way, on the Freehold destruction, you get mailed a blueprint of your Freehold layout
    Heaven forbid players need to go through the immense burden of having to replace items in a freehold!

That is just too much to ask!
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

Current plan is that for two hours after a successful siege, the Freeholds are open to attack. You can try defending your Freehold, which seems rather unlikely given that the attacking army has just broken an entire city, or you can try bribing them with cash or feet-pics. Or you can just sit and hope that they pass you by.

After that, there's a week's period where you get to either re-zone the Freehold into an adjacent node, or desperately try to power-level the destroyed node to Village status again. If neither of these happens, then it's destroyed and lost.

Either way, on the Freehold destruction, you get mailed a blueprint of your Freehold layout to make setting a new one easier. Assuming you can find space for a new one!

This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Freehold_destructibility

depends how many of them get distracted with looting the city :p
  • Options

Personally I could tell you that if I don't own a freehold or a static house, you will see me in the frontlines trying to destroy that node!
    That might give me a chance to me, or my smaller guild to get hands on a freehold. Yes, it won't be immediate, but it's the best chance you have because you cut funding for the opposing guild since guilds will be the owners of vast majority of freeholds.
    At least for a couple of days/weeks (depending how much a node takes to level) said guild won't have freeholds, no processing, no buffs in the vicinity of the now destroyed node.

On the other hands, I do wonder why someone who doesn't own property would defend you/your guild/your node.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    BlackBrony wrote: »
    On the other hands, I do wonder why someone who doesn't own property would defend you/your guild/your node.

Its called Feudalism lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    this ain't Star Citizen...
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    If Ashes implements Freehold insurance, then I suggest we implement credit default swaps and craft a node demolishing guild. We’ll be gazillionaires in two node sieges. 😵‍💫
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    All great thoughts and answers (links). Thank you. Sounds like the Inn for me (or apartment). I'll need to watch others slaughter pigs from afar.
  • Options
    All great thoughts and answers (links). Thank you. Sounds like the Inn for me (or apartment). I'll need to watch others slaughter pigs from afar.

Can always do it in real life, instead. See if they drop the same materials.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    A player could set up an insurance company in game, or a bank, if they have established sufficient trust in game. If a player does, pay them the monthly premiums and they will pay you if your freehold is destroyed. Seems a valid extension of the risk/reward concept.
  • Options
    Oh, let me tell you about the magnificent world of Freehold Insurance! It's an absolute marvel, providing a safety net that's almost as elusive as a unicorn! I had the pleasure of encountering this gem while delving into the realm of Pocket Option Binary Options. It's like finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow – rare and magical! With Freehold Insurance, you'll feel invincible, protecting your assets in the financial markets. It's like having a secret weapon against market uncertainties. Embrace the wonders of Freehold Insurance and sail through the choppy seas of online trading with confidence!
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    A player could set up an insurance company in game, or a bank, if they have established sufficient trust in game. If a player does, pay them the monthly premiums and they will pay you if your freehold is destroyed. Seems a valid extension of the risk/reward concept.

Ooopsie, looks like you didn't read the small-print. We can't pay out in this instance. But thankyou for your custom.
  • Options
    AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

what i mean is make friends,

I think this is the part that confused him.
  • Options
    AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2023
    Caravan insurance will be a thing... both from individuals and nodes, i believe.

Who the authority/entity be which would issue the freehold insurance? Node?, guilds who control castles?

How might it work? You would still need to get the plot of land. even if all the cost was paid, still no guarantee you can get another one.

Maybe a cash (and/or resources) pay out?
  • Options
    RavicusRavicus Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Abarat wrote: »
    Caravan insurance will be a thing... both from individuals and nodes, i believe.

Who the authority/entity be which would issue the freehold insurance? Node?, guilds who control castles?

How might it work? You would still need to get the plot of land. even if all the cost was paid, still no guarantee you can get another one.

Maybe a cash (and/or resources) pay out?

If I may ask, what makes you think that caravan insurance will be available? Is there mention of it somewhere?
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    Ravicus wrote: »

If I may ask, what makes you think that caravan insurance will be available? Is there mention of it somewhere?

Steven has said that caravan owners can set up insurance for other players who buy space on a caravan run. There is even an escrow system to ensure payment.

Details here:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Caravanserai
  • Options
    RavicusRavicus Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    mcnasty wrote: »
    Ravicus wrote: »

Steven has said that caravan owners can set up insurance for other players who buy space on a caravan run. There is even an escrow system to ensure payment.

Details here:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Caravanserai

Oh, that is helpful, thank you very much.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png