Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Improving Corruption for casuals

So, I know this is a hot topic but I was thinking about solutions that didn't go against the design pillars of the game. And although there is not much we can do to solve it completely, we could mitigate the issue.

One of the biggest gripes with corruption is the fact that people that die feel a sense of injustice, especially for the more "pvp deficient" audience, which wouldn't be able to operate justice with their own hands. Most of the time, these people would die, sigh, and then move on, without really seeing the effects of corruption on their assailants, and eventually quit because of that feeling of injustice.

So, my suggestion to help that problem a little bit is not to change the corruption system, but to make sure that the effects of the corruption are more obvious to the people that suffer the most from the open pvp.

I suggest some type of notification board, that could be either controlled by the player or automated, where notifications about the people that killed you pop up, letting you know when they died because of the corruption you inflicted on him, how much they lost, loot, exp debt, etc. That way, these people would be more aware of how the corruption system is working and have that feels good man moment when they see some justice being done.

If you guys think notification boards are not the way to go, due to it being a little immersion-breaking, you could also add town boards in the nodes, with news posts about the ppl that were hunted by bounty hunters, effectively causing closely the same effect without breaking immersion.

I think this suggestion is not a change at all on how the game works, just adds a little bit of relief for the victims of open world pvp.

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I'd take it even further and make any loot that the victim dropped to the PKer its own "bundle" and, if the PKer gets killed by a BH, the bundle will 100% drop. And BHs should receive a reward for returning that bundle to the victim. Imo this would be an amazing way to show people that the system is working.

It has its own balancing issues, but those can be dealt with through testing.
  • Options
    ClintHardwoodClintHardwood Member
    edited July 2023
    I think the dead person shouldn't get anything back because this game is already on the very low end of hardcore pvp. But I do agree that a notification announcing the death of the PKer while their corruption is still active will provide much needed closure and is a great addition. Great suggestion by the OP.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    NiKr wrote: »
    I'd take it even further and make any loot that the victim dropped to the PKer its own "bundle" and, if the PKer gets killed by a BH, the bundle will 100% drop. And BHs should receive a reward for returning that bundle to the victim. Imo this would be an amazing way to show people that the system is working.

Yeah, I've had a change of heart and can agree your idea would be grand. :)
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    Honestly a solid suggestion. It would also keep people seeking revenge in the loop of whether or not the one they are chasing is still corrupted and worth the search for.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    ClintHardwoodClintHardwood Member
    edited July 2023

I like this idea only if the bounty hunter has the option to open the victim's loot bundle if they want to. Most hunters would rather PK than run errands delivering small sums of lost loot back to victims, and they defnitely don't want to get unopenable loot boxes from dudes they hunted down and killed fair and square. Also, how would the extra reward and inventory balancing be done? Compressed bags of loot taking up a few inventory slots sounds very overpowered, and the system giving away rewards for killing corrupted players sounds very abusable.

Additional BH rewards should only come from the victim and from nearby node leaders, not the system. But then the victim loses even more money so there is little incentive except vengeance, which I guess is fine but realistically player placed bounties will quickly become dead content in my experience. Few will compound their loses by placing bounties after losing loot.

The only way this will really happen is through the server's discord. A guy is PvPing a lot of casuals? They will eventually get ostracized from the discord community and maybe hunted down if enough people get upset. I think this community vastly overestimates how much the average player will RP. I sure won't. That's simply not something I enjoy.
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member

Eh, I don't see how this could work. What if the corrupted picks and chooses through the materials dropped and discards what they don't want? I feel like bounty hunters should just cash in on kills and be able to loot what is dropped by the corrupted. Gives more of a food chain vibe.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I like this idea only if the bounty hunter has the option to open the victim's loot bundle if they want to. Most hunters would prefer to PK rathan than run errands delivering small sums of gathered loot to victims, and they defnitely don't want to get unopenable loot boxes from dudes they hunted down and killed. Also, how would the extra reward and inventory balancing be done? Compressed bags of loot taking up a few inventory slots sounds very overpowered, and the system giving away rewards for killing corrupted players sounds very abusable.
    Bundle would only include the victim's stuff (if there was any).

PKer would still drop anything else they woulda dropped on death. Bundle is just a 100% drop.

The reward for BHer would be only if they returned the bundle to the victim. If they don't want that reward - they can open the bundle and keep it. I'd personally punish that, but that's a way more debatable thing.

The reward would have to be counted through a ton of variables, with one of the more important being "if PKer has repeatedly killed the same victim - the BH's reward is lower". This would still work in a real life scenario, because the repeat PKer would now drop way more stuff, so BH would get other loot outside of the system reward itself.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What if the pker has killed multiple people? Does the bounty hunter get a separate bag slot for these bundles or would an inventory be filled with bundles?
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Dolyem wrote: »
    Eh, I don't see how this could work. What if the corrupted picks and chooses through the materials dropped and discards what they don't want? I feel like bounty hunters should just cash in on kills and be able to loot what is dropped by the corrupted. Gives more of a food chain vibe.
    The bundle can only be opened by the PKer when they remove their corruption. That includes revenge-type kills by greens rather than BHs.

The "friend" abuse would still work, though I have my own issues with that particular interaction as well. They are somewhat quelled because the PKer would suffer the death penalties in that case, but I do think that the friend abuse shouldn't exist.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Neurath wrote: »
    What if the pker has killed multiple people? Does the bounty hunter get a separate bag slot for these bundles or would an inventory be filled with bundles?
    The latest stream definitely helps with that. All BHs would get a super big bag that could only carry loot bundles. EZ B)
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    The latest stream definitely helps with that. All BHs would get a super big bag that could only carry loot bundles. EZ B)
    Hell, this could even help with genocidal runs. Make bundles HUGE in inventory size, so PKers would only be able to pick up stuff from 1-3 victims at a time. So they either have to die repeatedly or somehow clear their corruption before the BHs get on their ass.
  • Options
    Hell, this could even help with genocidal runs. Make bundles HUGE in inventory size, so PKers would only be able to pick up stuff from 1-3 victims at a time. So they either have to die repeatedly or somehow clear their corruption before the BHs get on their ass.

I feel like this is just bloat in gameplay and dev time. If people want personal announcements sure, but looting doesn't need to be any more complex than it already is.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited July 2023
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    I feel like this is just bloat in gameplay and dev time. If people want personal announcements sure, but looting doesn't need to be any more complex than it already is.
    I mean, they already added separate inventory bags. I don't remember any mentions of those before. That's bloat too. And mats are already in the process of changes rn, so adjusting looting would fit right in rn.
  • Options
    I mean, they already added separate inventory bags. I don't remember any mentioned of those before. That's bloat too. And mats are already in the process of changes rn, so adjusting looting would fit right in rn.

Two bags is fine, that actually helps with inventory management and makes it easier for the user to understand what they will lose and what is safe. Plus have inventory management that makes sense with your materials without interfering with your gear inventory.

That doesn't equal bloat and again that is a bonus. Now adding more systems onto a already complex system for no other reason than just making things even more casual friendly would be bloat. They need to figure out how all that works, implement it in their design and code, etc, so someone can have random bags to find random people in the world where they have no clue where. Just to protect the casuals?

They have a lot of complex systems including the flagging system and everything that comes with it, this is just another layer that isn't really adding a lot to the game.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    That doesn't equal bloat and again that is a bonus. Now adding more systems onto a already complex system for no other reason than just making things even more casual friendly would be bloat. They need to figure out how all that works, implement it in their design and code, etc, so someone can have random bags to find random people in the world where they have no clue where. Just to protect the casuals?
    No need to find anyone. The bundle would just have the victim's ID, the BH would return the bundle to the social org npc which would also give the BH the reward (which is supposedly already the case, considering that BHs will have a progression system). Then the victim would just get a system pm of "your loot has been returned by a BH; pick it up at this location".

I'm sure that Intrepid will already track item-player IDs, cause that helps with RMT stuff. So the biggest "bloat" here would be the return mechanic, but it could be done through quest/task system to decrease the amount of code required for it to work.

And I've said this before when talking about this system, and I mentioned the "balancing issues" in the first post here already, but I'd like this system in the context of shorter corruption clearing timers. Which would in turn balance out the "protect the casuals" design.

And if this is advertised and explained well to the players, there'd be a higher chance that greens don't enact vengeance on random PKers, so the reds would have higher chances to clear their corruption before a BH catches them. Obviously it will all come down to good balancing of different values, but that's a thing for alpha2.
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    edited July 2023
    I don't know, I sort of feel like there should be a negative to not succeeding in defending oneself. Pushes a player to get better. So a gatherer who loses shouldn't necessarily get the do-over button like that from someone else's success. The bounty hunter did the work, so if the gatherer wants their mats back, have them barter with the bounty hunter for them.

Edit: just have the one who killed their killer also be included in the ping they get about them dying
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I don't know, I sort of feel like there should be a negative to not succeeding in defending oneself. Pushes a player to get better. So a gatherer who loses shouldn't necessarily get the do-over button like that from someone else's success. The bounty hunter did the work, so if the gatherer wants their mats back, have them barter with the bounty hunter for them.
    Green death penalties still apply, so the victim already loses times. And the BH's success would rely on the PKer having a few kills under their belt, cause otherwise the Red would clear corruption before anyone catches them and the loot would be theirs.

There could be some cost to receiving back your lost loot and the victim would then have to decide whether their loot is more valuable than that cost. Though I feel like this would just be a yet another "feel bad" design. You die, lose time, lose loot, lose gathering/farming location. Then you learn that someone properly avenged you, but you now gotta pay them to get your stuff back.

I get that this is quite often how it goes irl, but I feel like game design should be a bit more fun. And we've all seen the "unfun" changes that have occurred in the last several months.
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    Green death penalties still apply, so the victim already loses times. And the BH's success would rely on the PKer having a few kills under their belt, cause otherwise the Red would clear corruption before anyone catches them and the loot would be theirs.

There could be some cost to receiving back your lost loot and the victim would then have to decide whether their loot is more valuable than that cost. Though I feel like this would just be a yet another "feel bad" design. You die, lose time, lose loot, lose gathering/farming location. Then you learn that someone properly avenged you, but you now gotta pay them to get your stuff back.

I get that this is quite often how it goes irl, but I feel like game design should be a bit more fun. And we've all seen the "unfun" changes that have occurred in the last several months.

Dying/losing isn't meant to feel good. You're supposed to want to avoid it.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    kiochina wrote: »
    So, I know this is a hot topic but I was thinking about solutions that didn't go against the design pillars of the game. And although there is not much we can do to solve it completely, we could mitigate the issue.

One of the biggest gripes with corruption is the fact that people that die feel a sense of injustice, especially for the more "pvp deficient" audience, which wouldn't be able to operate justice with their own hands. Most of the time, these people would die, sigh, and then move on, without really seeing the effects of corruption on their assailants, and eventually quit because of that feeling of injustice.

So, my suggestion to help that problem a little bit is not to change the corruption system, but to make sure that the effects of the corruption are more obvious to the people that suffer the most from the open pvp.

I suggest some type of notification board, that could be either controlled by the player or automated, where notifications about the people that killed you pop up, letting you know when they died because of the corruption you inflicted on him, how much they lost, loot, exp debt, etc. That way, these people would be more aware of how the corruption system is working and have that feels good man moment when they see some justice being done.

If you guys think notification boards are not the way to go, due to it being a little immersion-breaking, you could also add town boards in the nodes, with news posts about the ppl that were hunted by bounty hunters, effectively causing closely the same effect without breaking immersion.

I think this suggestion is not a change at all on how the game works, just adds a little bit of relief for the victims of open world pvp.

I approve this.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I'd still prefer avoiding all the this "lose time, lose gathering/farming location", so imo dying would still feel bad. And with some minmaxing of balancing, the return rate could be at ~60%, so you'd still be losing your stuff from time to time too.

Well, either way. My point is that telling people that their killer died wouldn't really change much, cause they already experienced the impact of their actions.
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    I'd still prefer avoiding all the this "lose time, lose gathering/farming location", so imo dying would still feel bad. And with some minmaxing of balancing, the return rate could be at ~60%, so you'd still be losing your stuff from time to time too.

Well, either way. My point is that telling people that their killer died wouldn't really change much, cause they already experienced the impact of their actions.

That was sort of the point of the OP i believe. Giving a bit of satisfaction/closure without changing the system.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options

That was sort of the point of the OP i believe. Giving a bit of satisfaction/closure without changing the system.

Yeah, I'm not trying to erase the frustration and loss of death, which is the intended design. Just trying to give some good feelings to the people in the mix with the bad ones
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Holy shit it's Dolyem. Yo where the memes at

I like the OP's idea. It would give people a sense that the system is working. Sometimes killers are caught, sometimes not.
  • Options
    KilionKilion Member
    Tie it into the lore and tie it to the deities. In shrines or temples, anyone can pray and look at "divine retributions" which would be what you suggested - the corruption system in action.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    I love the idea, but it will definitely increase toxicity. That's okay because the game is already going to be pretty toxic as a baseline.

If you need proof, just look at Albion. In Albion, you can see every single PvP death on the website and what the player lost. People use that all the time to be toxic assholes. It's a great system though, I love it!
  • Options

That would be an awesome Bounty Hunting feature.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options

I like this idea only if the bounty hunter has the option to open the victim's loot bundle if they want to.

Absolutely. The killed player shouldn't ever be guaranteed their stuff returning. That's on the killer and the killer's killer. If the killer's killer wants it, they should get to keep it.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    I love the idea, but it will definitely increase toxicity. That's okay because the game is already going to be pretty toxic as a baseline.

If you need proof, just look at Albion. In Albion, you can see every single PvP death on the website and what the player lost. People use that all the time to be toxic assholes. It's a great system though, I love it!

Sounds cool lol. But if they wanted they could limit so the only person that see that type of info is the victim of the corrupted person if they want to minimize the toxicity