Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Crafting system might be limited

LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited July 2023 in General Discussion
I'm sorry to be the one to tell you guys. But Crafting professions are actually harder to obtain than Processing by design.

https://youtu.be/B_2SFbN8PP8?t=1260
timestamp 21:00

"The difficulty of acquiring and completing certain things actually elevates from gatherer to processor to crafter - the crafter will be the most difficult branch of the artisanship tree in order to achieve the highest type of essential performance but that's intended and the reason why is because it's sort of built on a foundational system where this pyramid of supply chain exists from the gatherer to the processor to eventually the crafter at the top and it does become a little bit more difficult in that regard"

- Steven Sharif, July 2020

Yes, it is very, very unlikely that you will get to be a master or grandmaster crafter as a casual or a solo player, at least not in a timely manner to allow you to even get close to any guild-crafter that will dominate the local market, and if you think you may get there because there isn't any explicit statement that says otherwise, well, when the crafting showcase drops it will be freeholds 2.0 for you.

The game, especially the endgame content, was never meant to be friendly to solo/casual players.

just adding some more input:

And that's ok - because with processing, due to the family system, even if there are only 2000 freeholds, that can still provide for over 15 000 players access to the T4 and T5 processing professions.
img]
Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It will be fine. Crafters are used to long grinds.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As long as the crafting stations aren't artificially gated behind something similar to the freehold system, it's fine. If they require something moronic like in-node housing to place the best crafting stations, then it's an issue, but I don't think that's the case.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Nerror wrote: »
    As long as the crafting stations aren't artificially gated behind something similar to the freehold system, it's fine. If they require something moronic like in-node housing to place the best crafting stations, then it's an issue, but I don't think that's the case.

they require you to be citizen of a specific type of node and miss out on a LOT of features from other nodes

and for that you literally need in-node housing (or freehold, lol)
    img]
  • Options
    I like the concept I guess.
    Neurath wrote: »
    It will be fine. Crafters are used to long grinds.
    But are we sure that the difficulty is because long grind?
    Is there no other way to make something difficult?
    Liniker wrote: »
    Yes, it is very, very unlikely that you will get to be a master or grandmaster crafter as a casual or a solo player,
    Also I think joining a guild will not automatically ensure that the former solo player will have an easy life.
    Only access to materials might be easier and only if there is no competition within the guild.
  • Options
    You'd miss out on a lot of features from other nodes with any node you choose. Nothing special. Crafters will just be in the scientific node rather than the economic node which is a surprise but nothing to worry about.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I don't think the number will be hold because it's hard, but because it's a risk to give the master title to randoms.
    Only a select few who have shown that they're trustworthy will be given that status from the guild. Why risk funneling resources to a potential guild leaver?
    I think that gate keeping will def happen.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Liniker wrote: »

they require you to be citizen of a specific type of node and miss out on a LOT of features from other nodes

and for that you literally need in-node housing (or freehold, lol)

In-node housing is not apartments. It's the very limited amount of houses you have to acquire like freeholds. Apartments are enough for citizenship, and that has to be fine for all the crafting needs.

As for access to node services, it looks like it's probably going to be enough to live in a vassal node to get access to the parent nodes services, and parent nodes also let the vassal nodes adopt some of the benefits from the type of node the parent is, even if the vassal node is a different type.

We'll need confirmation of course, but maybe we'll get that next month.
  • Options
    We'll need confirmation of course, but maybe we'll get that next month.

Yea there's a lot that we don't know, even with the freeholds and the intricacies of the system, there's a lot of testing to do in A2
    img]
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    I just don't believe the whole crafting portion of game play is going to be so strained that most players go with dropped due to scarcity (however, I have been wrong many, many times)
  • Options
    Initially people will have to level up to 50 without having had access to t4 processed material. T3 will be fine to level all the way.

Everyone stay calm. No panic.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    This is why I'm gonna be a crafter. Always choosing the hard way B)
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    This is why I'm gonna be a crafter. Always choosing the hard way B)

u like them hard eh? ;)
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This is how crafting systems typically are. Gathering is a much easier process than final crafting. Final crafting tends to need lots of specialty components from different subprofessions and as you go up the chain typically high numbers of initial resources produce low numbers of intermediate products produces lower numbers of final products.

This all tracks as a normal process when comparing gathering to processing to crafting. He spoke similarly to us about it in a past interview.

But, also the more people you this is not the game for you, the less final crafting products you need anyway.
  • Options
    I don't see this as a Game is not for you ideation. I feel a crafter will go where crafting is best and I believe you can still fast travel with completed items.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Fantmx wrote: »
    This is how crafting systems typically are. Gathering is a much easier process than final crafting. Final crafting tends to need lots of specialty components from different subprofessions and as you go up the chain typically high numbers of initial resources produce low numbers of intermediate products produces lower numbers of final products.

This all tracks as a normal process when comparing gathering to processing to crafting. He spoke similarly to us about it in a past interview.

But, also the more people you this is not the game for you, the less final crafting products you need anyway.

Yeah, and I bet you gathering mats will be worth nothing xD
  • Options
    BlackBrony wrote: »

Yeah, and I bet you gathering mats will be worth nothing xD

Gathering is how I will get my freehold empire.
  • Options
    I don't see this as a Game is not for you ideation. I feel a crafter will go where crafting is best and I believe you can still fast travel with completed items.

I'm not specifically targeting crafting per se but the general number of times I have heard this is not the game for you.
  • Options

I'm not specifically targeting crafting per se but the general number of times I have heard this is not the game for you.

The hilarious thing will be if the game isn't for the people who claim the game isn't for others in the end lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    The hilarious thing will be if the game isn't for the people who claim the game isn't for others in the end lol.

Just makes me think of Segways and New Coke. :D

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png