Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Mob AI and farm animal AI ( Concept of Fear )

KoopasuKoopasu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited July 2023 in General Discussion
Sorry if this was mentioned before, I was busy with real life for the past 1-2 years and couldn't keep up with most of AOC content I will delete this post if this topic was mentioned before.

I was considering there should be a difference when it comes to different types of AI and how each mob will react to certain changes. As for one thing in common with a lot of mobs is the concept of fear if:
1) A significantly larger creature within a node/location ( mostly like appearance of bosses/dragons )
2) Who are the Predators? ( similar to 1, but mostly from chain reaction ( Examples are player over hunting rabbits ( (Common) Prey ) forcing the predator to either go for players or reallocate for towards another Prey ) or natural occurrence ( winter/ seasonal changes )
3) Over number vs Predator ( if there is 5 wolfs a tiger won't fear them )
4) random occurrence of trapping when it comes to high intellect mobs ( I remember seeing the goblin village, when I was playing A1 and I was wondering how much harder would it be if they had a slow trap set up and started throwing those high dmg bomb at me )
So a little explanation of 4.
that these types of mobs will generally not be affected by fear if they are they have the advantage of 3rd point ( Examples are close to a their village ), but if they are further away and half of the group died assuming they usually scout in groups, they would generally leave the hunt and go back to village.
How can this process work ?
One way to consider is that mob have designated spawn point ( Examples: There is a mother bear nearby, Inside the village, An egg nest) and can't just spawn randomly across the vast forest. An exception to a spawn point mob is maybe like an Inanimate mobs that can spawn due to a magic influx ( not sure what can cause this tbh ) from a certain location ( Those rock type of mobs or like treant )

Implementation would be considered more as a parent class (fear) and incorporating this into child classes ( types of mobs ) and essentially adding which type of mobs will it fear ( adding individual mobs would be lengthy so not sure about that and checking the list of a long one might cause lags if we have to check the same big list over and over), another way is to separate alot of the mobs into categories ( Grass/Ore eater/ Boss type / Predator / Carnivore ).

thank you for reading this post and I apologize if this was mentioned at some point and if so can you also provide the link or what to type in the search options in AoC forums or which Dev talk was it, because I would like to read it.

Comments

• Options
    ew imagine using inheritance when you could be using composition =x
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    they should all fear me ...
  • Options
    Raven016Raven016 Member
    edited July 2023
    One could make the creatures run in circle, if a rock paper scissor relationship exist between them.

Or 2 groups looking at each-other...

But I like the idea of fear. Even Minecraft has it.
    Tamed pigs should not watch relaxed when you butcher one of them.