Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Certificates

ILLPeonUILLPeonU Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
I really loved Steven's possible solution for the freehold issue, if they have bind on pick up certificates that you need to buy a freehold, that takes away the large guilds just passing money around to obtain them. It might even hinder them because they all might be farming the same area for them and then in turn getting less sue to the amount of players. This would give the average Joe, who has put the time and effort into this monumental feat to have a chance. I hope they go with this idea.
What does everyone think?
TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst
7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn/featured

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Need more information on the idea, but it sounds to me like you are talking about the certificate being a drop from mobs.

If this is the case, guilds will still dominate. Excluding others from content is a specialty many guilds excel at.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Noaani wrote: »
    Need more information on the idea, but it sounds to me like you are talking about the certificate being a drop from mobs.

If this is the case, guilds will still dominate. Excluding others from content is a specialty many guilds excel at.
    You should really watch at least a retelling of that stream :D Steven said they're thinking about having char-bound certificates that you get for doing node-related activities (differentiated by type of the node).

This could still be potentially locked by guilds, but would probably be waaaay harder to do.
  • Options
    Steven mentioned during the Ashen Forge interview that there might be a way to gain a freehold using certificates earned through rep which sounded really interesting. Not sure if that's what you meant or not.
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The example that was given is obtaining favor for activities in a divine node and potentially being to use that favor to bid on or buy a freehold.
  • Options
    ILLPeonUILLPeonU Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yes, something player earned and bound. So that would mean they can't "pass the candy" like they do with the gold. Now many big guilds will have such members that would do so, and that's fine. It all comes down to who's willing to put forth the effort, and I like that.
    TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn/featured
  • Options
    HumblePuffinHumblePuffin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Fantmx wrote: »
    The example that was given is obtaining favor for activities in a divine node and potentially being to use that favor to bid on or buy a freehold.

I do think changing up acquisition based on node type could be an interesting way to go about it, and make it a specific type of special currency for bidding on freeholds instead of gold. Limit trading of these currencies to within families, if at alland have a reasonable lock out/in for being in the family. Maybe even only the currency acquired while in the family can be traded.

Give citizens a base amount of this bidding currency for being a citizen incentivizing citizenship, and have more of this currency tied to node tasks relevant to the node.

Military zone maybe their currency is “bloody tags” you can get from a few different tasks such as killing spies seen near the node, or maybe even PvP such as prizes for an arena. Scientific could revolve around finding rare recipes for the node, economic maybe collecting debts. Etc etc you get the idea. Maybe even have these tasks take you near the freehold plots so before you bid you’re able to get an idea of what the parcels looks like.

This would also kind of bake on this, “okay I didn’t win the bid this time, but now I can grind more currency for the next round” Eventually you’ll be the top dog.

I feel like there are gates like these that can be put in place that somewhat level the playing field for everyone, but I do agree that bidding with a common universal currency is likely to lead to problems.
  • Options
    RavicusRavicus Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Fantmx wrote: »
    Scientific could revolve around finding rare recipes for the node, economic maybe collecting debts. Etc etc you get the idea. Maybe even have these tasks take you near the freehold plots so before you bid you’re able to get an idea of what the parcels looks like.

one type of science mentioned was archeology which can lead to discovering dungeons and such.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »

You should really watch at least a retelling of that stream :D Steven said they're thinking about having char-bound certificates that you get for doing node-related activities (differentiated by type of the node).

This could still be potentially locked by guilds, but would probably be waaaay harder to do.

It would still be locked by guilds.

If freeholds are limited and are valued, they will be locked by guilds.

I'm sure you are aware of this, as someone that has been on both sides of content blocking (or at least that is my take).

What I dont get is - guilds blocking content is known to be something that happens in Ashes.

As such, with any content, you either make it limited in number knowing it will be blocked, or you make it widely available making it hard to block.

It would seem to me that adding in something in limited quantity and then trying to prevent that blocking is going against the design goals of the game.

This is especially true when you look at housing in a game like Archeage, where everyone that wanted space would be able to find it (concurrently). When you consider that the reason Steven is going the way he is with limitations is due to aesthetics (he said early on in development that he didnt like the looks of the housing density in Archeage), it all just seems a little pathetic.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    it all just seems a little pathetic.
    It's just the classic clash of "what director wants" and "what people dislike". Like I said as soon as we saw the feedback to the freehold showcase - Intrepid are already considering changes to their system. I expect them to go even further.
  • Options
    AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What I dont get is - guilds blocking content is known to be something that happens in Ashes.

L O L.... nothing is known to happen in Ashes. it is not a game yet. What is up? You seem intent on just making things up that are negative and game breaking.

I suggest a puppy from the shelter. It will benefit both of you.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Abarat wrote: »

L O L.... nothing is known to happen in Ashes. it is not a game yet. What is up? You seem intent on just making things up that are negative and game breaking.

I suggest a puppy from the shelter. It will benefit both of you.

Guilds blocking content happens in literally every competitive MMO,even those without PvP. Steven has outright said it will happen in Ashes.

We can be as sure content blocking will happen in Ashes as we can be sure Ashes will have PvP.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    it all just seems a little pathetic.
    It's just the classic clash of "what director wants" and "what people dislike". Like I said as soon as we saw the feedback to the freehold showcase - Intrepid are already considering changes to their system. I expect them to go even further.

This 100% looks lame to me random housing everywhere and a lack of meaning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDhuhtWPydk
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    This 100% looks lame to me random housing everywhere and a lack of meaning.
    Yeah, 50k houses would definitely look like shit. But I do think it could be more than "low thousands" w/o looking too horrid.
  • Options
    AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    [ Steven has outright said it will happen in Ashes.
    OK. we are getting somewhere. you are citing sources. It's new and it's good.

Please reference where Steven said that content blocking will happen in Ashes?
  • Options
    HumblePuffinHumblePuffin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2023

Guilds wiki. First text in the page:

Q: How will you stop big mafia guilds from owning all the good dungeons and world bosses by camping them?
    A: The real answer to that is going to be what traditionally happens in a non-faction-based game where politics drive player interaction... Over time you have betrayals in the mafia guild and they splinter off into two groups and join the other side or it's like weird things that can occur in that regard. So I think that's the important way that will solve itself. I don't think the developer necessarily has to step in there and say no, let's railroad this politics or let's hand hold this aspect. I think that any time you have a bully, you're going to have a counter bully and that's something that we try to encourage as part of the politics process.[1] – Steven Sharif

Please note I don’t agree with him on this. I think there does need to be imposed guards for things that can make the play experience garbage for the average joe.

Guild perks and member size being linked to each other is a good start, and I hope they will consider doing more things like that. Possibly even just perks themselves being included that make guilds make choices on what they want to focus on instead of just zerging through be jack of all trade masters of all.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Hunting_certificates

Facts:
    Hunting certificates are BoP
    Can be sold to hunter npcs for gold. Gold is tradable.
    They help with immersion since creatures shouldnt carry gold, but pretty much function like BoP, solid valued "Trash" inventory items, in order to link the death of mobs to grind gains, xp, gold, mats/parts...

Will not work as RMT or guild limitation restrictions, for significant objectives such as freeholds etc etc.
    All you need to do is have "finders keepers" enabled in a group and designate a guy to pick up all the loot. When the time comes, that guy will exchange the certificates for whatever purpose you need them to.
    The speed with wich an organized group grinds is faster than individual effort, so there...

This leaves the smaller activities, in which RMT can be countered, such as becoming the leader of a divine node, assuming that certain spiritual hunting certificates are required and only one person can become the leader.
    But you cant counter guild/group boosting.

The design of the hunting certificates will function in many areas of the mmo, will overcome a few behavioural problems, but the feeeholds isnt one of them.

Imo it's good news that freeholds require group effort.
  • Options
    rocsekrocsek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited July 2023

Facts:
    They help with immersion since creatures shouldnt carry gold, but pretty much function like BoP, solid valued "Trash" inventory items, in order to link the death of mobs to grind gains, xp, gold, mats/parts...

Will not work as RMT or guild limitation restrictions, for significant objectives such as freeholds etc etc.
    All you need to do is have "finders keepers" enabled in a group and designate a guy to pick up all the loot. When the time comes, that guy will exchange the certificates for whatever purpose you need them to.
    The speed with wich an organized group grinds is faster than individual effort, so there...

This leaves the smaller activities, in which RMT can be countered, such as becoming the leader of a divine node, assuming that certain spiritual hunting certificates are required and only one person can become the leader.

The design of the hunting certificates will function in many areas of the mmo, will overcome a few behavioural problems, but the feeeholds isnt one of them.

From the most recent Q&A at Ashen Forge Steven said their may be other things involved in obtaining a freehold, not just gold. Gold will be part of it, but there may be other things that will be required that a group of people can't just pass off. Such as renown, types of certificates, etc. There should be an INFO drop sometime this week. to shed a bit more light on Freeholds.
    Kaos & Lace Cartel
    "Come join us as you wont like the taste of the Grapefruits we're throwing at our enemies."

"Never settle for what you think you know" - C. Krauthammer
  • Options
    rocsek wrote: »

Facts:

From the most recent Q&A at Ashen Forge Steven said their may be other things involved in obtaining a freehold, not just gold. Gold will be part of it, but there may be other things that will be required that a group of people can't just pass off. Such as renown, types of certificates, etc. There should be an INFO drop sometime this week. to shed a bit more light on Freeholds.

Certificates wont help with this issue.
  • Options
    rocsekrocsek Member, Founder, Kickstarter

Facts:

Certificates wont help with this issue.

Listen to what Steven says here. https://youtu.be/IUrjiAHZJT4?t=1186
    Kaos & Lace Cartel
    "Come join us as you wont like the taste of the Grapefruits we're throwing at our enemies."

"Never settle for what you think you know" - C. Krauthammer
  • Options
    What was you takeaway from what I wrote above?
    Let me see your reading and comprehension skills.
  • Options

Why do you insist so much on getting caught up with insignificant details.

I have a better question for you- do you believe there will be no content blocking on Ashes?

If you do not believe there will be no content blocking in Ashes, then any questions as to why I would say there will be are actually pathetic on your part.
  • Options

Facts:

None of the things talked about would prevent guilds maintaining a monopoly on freeholds if they are of value.

There are only three ways to prevent it. One is to make them not of value, one is to make them less limited in number, and the other is to make acquiring them RNG based (this last one lowers guilds monopoly, it doesnt outright prevent it).
  • Options
    Agree and I think Steven is on the right track on this!

Specially if the certificate can be sold to others creating a new market in the game, if people over farm this then it won't be interesting trading them anymore.

I don't like bound items at atll, it's so World of Warcraft.
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.