Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What was a favorite mob from a past game?

akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
a) What was a favorite mob from a past game?
b) What was the game?
c) What made it special?

(re-posted in correct category, sorry)

Comments

• Options
    Slimes, from Dragon Quest on regular-ass, original Nintendo.

Some of them had special appearances/skins and different abilities/effects, such as poisoning you when you hit them.

Certain Draconians in D&D's Krynn-based games had similar things; One type gave you like 1 turn to move your character away from a dying NPC, or it would explode upon death and do damage to anyone in-range.

• Options
    Favourite? I don't know, not good in making favourite lists in general... I'll go with most memorable.

a) Skeleton
    b) EverQuest
    c) Their laugh. Can't forget that even after so many years.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Probably L2's Chimeras 7ug31807velm.png

Mainly because they were my main "test of strength" on quite a lot of servers. If I could collect ~10 of them and survive while killing them all - I was strong enough to go do way harder content and I'd be more confident in my pvp strength.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Probably my favorite mob to fight is the Beastman Yagudo General Kazan the Peerless, commander of the Plenilune Ronin infantry.

Two Ninjas dueling on a battlefield is always cool.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The Yeti in Hawken (first person mech multiplayer team vs team shooter)

Certain maps it would appear and run through around and teams that were fighting each other would momentarily forget their differences and chase the yeti for its bonus, then once killed fighting each other recommenced.. A large risk for self to try to obtain the bonus as you could be killed by your enemy team at any time...

I liked the idea in pvp skirmishes and even sieges to have such a random element perhaps come in at some time to throw a wild card into the fight.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    edited July 2023
    Virindi
    Asheron's Call
    Cool and mysterious
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited July 2023
    akabear wrote: »
    a) What was a favorite mob from a past game? Evil eye (Everquest)
    b) What was the game? giant floating eyeball (https://zam.zamimg.com/images/b/6/b6406dcfa13ed79740575f27aa28001e.png)
    c) What made it special? It used the spell charm which basicly made the player the pet off the evil eye and u would start murdering your friend for like 1 minute lol was a what the fuck moment when it first happens

]a) What was a favorite mob from a past game? Lightcrawler
    b) What was the game? giant centipede (nothing speciel)
    c) What made it special? It used the flash of light spell that made your whole screenblack for a duration 6-20 seconds roughly, including ur UI so had to fight it wile remembering ur hotkeys/cooldowns and go by sound alone for a portion of the fight it had a 20-50% blind uptime depending on resistance

I like the mobs that do something completely different so a o shit wtf kinda first encounter unfortatly these kinda effects have been removed off games after WoW and they made all normal mobs outside of raids pretty generic in comparison and loss of uniqueness

(re-posted in correct category, sorry)

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Q: a) What was a favorite mob from a past game? b) What was the game?

A: This Tall Alien looking mf(a.k.a Original Sin Warden) from Lineage 2 and his 7 sins minions. LineageMonster4.demon_darion_fgt_0_0.1.png

Slave of Warth
    LineageMonster.vale_master_10_bi_0_0.1.png

Slave of Pride
    LineageMonster2.knight_of_shadow_0_0.1.png

Slave of Greed
    LineageMonster2.ashuras_0_0.1.png

Slave of Envy
    LineageMonster3.Bloody_Queen_Raid_0_0.1.png

Slave of Sloth
    LineageMonster2.giant_zombie_0_0.1.png

Slave of Lust
    LineageMonster3.Succubus_Raid_0_0.1.png

Slave of Gluttony
    LineageMonster3.Death_Blader_Raid_0_0.1.png

Q: c) What made it special?

Fighting against him and his minions(on low/average gear) was almost always a chaotic experience that would push your party to its limits, they were some of the very few monsters in Lineage 2 that had extreme RNG AI's.

They had chances to ignore taunts, changed their targets at unexpected times with sudden bursts and AoEs, had very powerful unique offensive/defensive skills they would use against random players/random allies in random frequences, and kinda acted like a fairly cohesive unit in their ever changing unpredictable patterns.
    Not to mention the random patterns in which they patrolled around creating the risk of aggoing a second or third Original Sin Warden Group.

Facing off against them with a single party was one of the most amazing PvE experiences (some geared Hero Players would fight them Solo to train and challenge themselves) as sometimes it almost felt like playing against a players party as they kinda nicely fits archetype roles.

Extra edit: Fighting against another players party while this guy and his gang does their best to rekt both sides is a hell of a PvX experience.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    PhlightPhlight Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    a) What was a favorite mob from a past game?Serket
    b) What was the game? FFXI
    c) What made it special? I'll never forget leveling Warrior in Garlaige Citadel with my RL friends. We were about level 30 because my theif friend just got Viper Bite weaponskill. We were finally able to skill chain distortion and we had a blackmage in party who had freeze. So we were chaining beetles kills like crazy. The theif(Pinkknight was his name) went out to pull another mob, but fell into a hole in the floor. He was like "Oh shit there is a giant scorpion here chasing me". Without hesitation I jumped down the hole and provoked the giant scorpion. He killed me immediately. Then he proceeded to pull in all my party members and kill us all one by one. The coolest shit I had seen in the game up to that point. I vowed to kill him one day. I was successful in my mission and he dropped the Venomous Claw used to make the Scorpion Harness.

• Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited July 2023
    a) What was a favorite mob from a past game? Fire Imp
    b) What was the game? Guild Wars
    c) What made it special? It made a hilarious sound when it died, almost like a a cat had eaten a squeaky door and was trying to excrete it. Used to hunt them down just to hear it! Hahaha

This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    SunboySunboy Member
    Dragons
    Dungeons&Dragons
    It’s a dragon!
  • Options
    Goliath
    Borderlands 2
    They wear a helmet that if you shoot off they go berzerk and kill anyone and everyone they can and doing so levels them up, you were even rewarded by killing them after a rampage as they triple the xp you would of gotten if you killed the mobs yourself.
  • Options
    ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I loved the pandemonium zone in Anarchy online, super old game but the best i ever played