Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will Freeholds Tank Performance?

DralayDralay Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited July 2023 in General Discussion
Something that I have not seen anyone mention is the potential for freeholds to destroy your fps. While UE5 is an improvement I would find it really hard to believe that you will not see your fps drop like a rock when you are around a lot of freeholds. And considering that by design they are going to be clustered around a city and not spread throughout the entire world it's probably going to be worse. Unfortunately, I don't think Intrepid has the magic wand to fix this potential issue that every other game development company also faces. It may end up on the player's end to turn their rendering to the lowest possible setting anytime they get near a city unless Intrepid plans to lower render distance near cities automatically.

Comments

• Options
    KorelaKorela Member
    Why?
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2023
    Dralay wrote: »
    Something that I have not seen anyone mention is the potential for freeholds to destroy your fps. While UE5 is an improvement I would find it really hard to believe that you will not see your fps drop like a rock when you are around a lot of freeholds. And considering that by design they are going to be clustered around a city and not spread throughout the entire world it's probably going to be worse. Unfortunately, I don't think Intrepid has the magic wand to fix this potential issue that every other game development company also faces. It may end up on the player's end to turn their rendering to the lowest possible setting anytime they get near a city unless Intrepid plans to lower render distance near cities automatically.

you can't be around a lot of freeholds, the way UE5 works is you won't render things far away you or that your camera is not looking at, so it's irrelevant if you are surrounded by 5 freeholds or 5000 freeholds, you will only see 1 maybe 2 since there's a big distance between them
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    It can work but the trade-off is having a ton of pop in rendering if the render distance is too low.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2023
    It can work but the trade-off is having a ton of pop in rendering if the render distance is too low.

you can login on fortnite since its on UE5, or download some random UE5 demo to see - pop in is not an issue.

it all depends how you code your game
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    HumblePuffinHumblePuffin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I play the isle and prior to their update to U5 you would have tiles not loading properly, pop in was super in your face, anything in an open area at a distance didn’t render and it looked like crap. They updated to U5 recently and it’s like an entirely different game performance/pop in wise.

U5 is a pretty big game changer.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Also, if Intrepid fail at properly optimizing their game around the potential of ~2k players being in one place (i.e. a metro node during a siege) - no one will care that FHs are somehow impacting their performance, cause their performance will be shit even w/o freeholds.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I don't think Fortnite is really a good example it has very low graphical fidelity in general and most of the game is sparsely populated. But to be clear UE5 is not a major difference in terms of not rendering in how it fundamentally works. Unrendering things not in view has been around for a long time, the main difference is the polygon rendering. If you check out some of the foliage tech demos in UE5 they are still rough on performance. I am not saying it cannot be done but having your game look good with low render transition is the hard part. I have not seen any good in real-world examples of games getting a massive fps boost from UE5. Even fornite was a fairly small performance difference and some players had more fps issues. I just hope people are not banking on UE5 being able to drastically increase performance, most tech demos you see have been optimized to death, and are in a limited play zone.
  • Options

I play the isle and prior to their update to U5 you would have tiles not loading properly, pop in was super in your face, anything in an open area at a distance didn’t render and it looked like crap. They updated to U5 recently and it’s like an entirely different game performance/pop in wise.

I play the isle as well and it's still one of the worst-performing games you can find after the UE5 update. If you have 10 players around you your fps go from like 80 to 30 it's insane to use that as a good example of UE5 being a game changer.
  • Options
    HumblePuffinHumblePuffin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2023

I play the isle as well and it's still one of the worst-performing games you can find after the UE5 update. If you have 10 players around you your fps go from like 80 to 30 it's insane to use that as a good example of UE5 being a game changer.

That has not been my experience, but that game seems to be super PC dependent on who can run it well.

I went from 10-20 fps in center, to 120 minimum at center with extremely little pop in.

I have seen people say they have not had that similar experience to me as well, but shit thats a huge difference for me personally, on the same computer.