Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Suggestion for the monetization system

I'm glad to know that AoC won't have any P2W systems.

I wonder if F2P players will still have access to some of the paid cosmetics and convenience of use items in the Premium shop. Will there be a gifting system like most games? But gifting system give rise to black markets. If you look at Warframe which is an exception to most games when it comes to premium currency, it has quite the F2P friendly system in which all players can trade in-game items for the premium currency. Like that all players can grind and eventually buy premium items even if they don't pay real money. Such a system definitely hurts the publisher as some players won't pay money for the premium stuff but even then all the premium currency that is in the game, was bought with real money at some point. If players don't buy the premium currency there also won't be F2P players that can trade for the premium currency. I have a suggestion that can benefit both the publisher and the F2P players. It goes at follows:

1. Remove the gifting of premium items system so there are fewer black markets (you can't eliminate all of them).
2. Add option to buy the premium currency with the in-game "gold" currency. To make it fair for both the players and the publisher, make some parameters and adjust the ration to buy premium currency with gold depending on several factors:

1. Increase the cost of premium currency with the rate of gold inflation in the game
2. Increase the cost of premium currency with the rate at which players buy the premium currency with in-game gold (higher demand -> higher cost)
3. Decrease the cost of premium currency with the rate at which players buy the premium currency with real money
4. Increase the cost of premium currency with the average level of top X players
5. Other various parameters that would make sense.

I personally feel that this system is an improvement of the Warframe's system and would feel good for both F2P players to not be left behind. Obviously there must be a line drawn somewhere between the amount of advantages a P2P player has over F2P player and then there is also the aspect of the publisher of the game to have a profitable business model.

This system that I suggested can definitely be improved.
What do you think of it?
Does it fit with your business model?
Does it fit with your definition of what advantages should a P2P player has over the F2P players?

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    No
  • Options
    why u want a lost ark 2 lol

also, theres no p2w, u can only buy cosmetics with real life money.

if you want to eliminate black markets, well...being able to buy premium currency with in game gold will actually increase black markets and rmt T_T because now i can get premium currency cheaper...
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    because now i can get premium currency cheaper...

well that's what I meant that the price should be adjusted with various parameters. But I also get what you mean by rmt. But then this system will also be a way to combat inflation if a lot of gold is dumped into the system (meaning into nothing).
  • Options
    No

Care to elaborate point by point which parts are not good enough?
  • Options
    AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2023
    is F2P "free to play"?

if so, the OP seems uninformed.

Ashes will not have a box cost, but also no free to play, there will be a monthly subscription.
  • Options
    I just wonder how can a F2P player can grind towards a premium cosmetic or the like and how does the monetization system favors that (but not to much to disadvantage the paying players).
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    No, intrepid needs money, they don't need in-game gold.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »
    No, intrepid needs money, they don't need in-game gold.

Well, obiously. But then Warframe seems to do fine and also has a much more F2P player friendly system than most other games. I was wondering if the devs can take into consideration a similar system and how would they parametrize it to make a profit but also give the F2P players a chance to grind for a few items every now and then.
  • Options
    Abarat wrote: »
    is F2P "free to play"?

Ashes will not have a box cost, but also no free to play, there will be a monthly subscription.

What I mean by F2P: don't buy premium currency/premium items. Not F2P as in don't pay the minimum necessary to play the game (a subscription).
  • Options
    AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    THERE ARE NO F2P PLAYERS.

Right? You guys are engaging this... have I missed something big?
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2023

Well, obiously. But then Warframe seems to do fine and also has a much more F2P player friendly system than most other games. I was wondering if the devs can take into consideration a similar system and how would they parametrize it to make a profit but also give the F2P players a chance to grind for a few items every now and then.

it's a disgusting pay to win game man wtf?

you literally spend money to skip hundreds of hours of grind

they make more money as a p2w game being f2p than any monthly sub game or b2p game ever would.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    No

Care to elaborate point by point which parts are not good enough?

no...
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2023
    @ShapeshifterAku,
    While we are in Alpha and everything is subject to change, the only announced ways to obtain Embers (the premium currency) is by cash purchase or indirectly as a percentage of the monthly subscription fee from a referred player giving Intrepid Bucks that you convert to Embers. Which requires a person paying cash before Embers enter the game.

More info:
    ashesofcreation.wiki/Embers

(If you get thrown off by the Adventure Paths form Apocalypse giving Embers, that was functionally a BattlePass and if I remember correctly I had to pay $10 or $20 for it. So the Embers still cost cash)
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Pretty sure free to play games do not have a monthly sub.

You will also not be able to gift anything bought as a cosmetic.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Cosmetics cannot be gifted. They are account bound.
    There can be no cosmetic black markets.

There is no reason for people to spend ingame gold for cosmetics. Let them pay in dollars. End of story. There are plenty of of gear sets as well as transmorg system if they cant affort to spend dollars.
    Kids shouldnt spend dollars anyway.
    Adults should have their priorities straight.

Let it go man... it's not so important to keep talking about it.
  • Options
    Abarat wrote: »
    is F2P "free to play"?

What I mean by F2P: don't buy premium currency/premium items. Not F2P as in don't pay the minimum necessary to play the game (a subscription).

Intrepid plans on plenty of in-game earnable cosmetics through gameplay, @ShapeshifterAku … so you shouldn’t be too worried.

However, as mentioned in the other replies, there’s no planned in-game currency conversion and no planned gifting.

Which is totally fine as there’s no pay-to-win (P2W) in Ashes.

At this point in the game’s development, your idea is unnecessary.