Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Cleric and healing feedback

ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
As someone that has mained heals for quite some time i would say that the gameplay looks okay, i feel the animations have been toned down and they definitley look better, i think my issues with the healing i saw was,

There were way to many skills, and this is suppose to be level 35? Before even choosing a second class, and when doing actual combat you could clearly see that the whole toolkit was hardly used, i think it would be better if we are going with 18 abilities akready, maybe 5-7 actual heal skills, a main heal, a smaller main heal, a hot, a gap closer, a shield, maybe a damage mitigation spell and to just work on these abilities, add things like " target takes more healing whilst standing in" or +25% healing to X skill after a roll/dodge, i think 18 pure healing abilities are to many, you could add 2-3 pure damage abilities, (judgement should not be a cast time with how fast paced this game is looking), and then maybe 2-3 spells that are buffs, sort of like the paladin in wow,

It was a bug improvement from the last showcasr, whats everyones thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Chicago wrote: »
    As someone that has mained heals for quite some time i would say that the gameplay looks okay, i feel the animations have been toned down and they definitley look better, i think my issues with the healing i saw was,

There were way to many skills, and this is suppose to be level 35? Before even choosing a second class, and when doing actual combat you could clearly see that the whole toolkit was hardly used, i think it would be better if we are going with 18 abilities akready, maybe 5-7 actual heal skills, a main heal, a smaller main heal, a hot, a gap closer, a shield, maybe a damage mitigation spell and to just work on these abilities, add things like " target takes more healing whilst standing in" or +25% healing to X skill after a roll/dodge, i think 18 pure healing abilities are to many, you could add 2-3 pure damage abilities, (judgement should not be a cast time with how fast paced this game is looking), and then maybe 2-3 spells that are buffs, sort of like the paladin in wow,

Remember to put your feedback in the main thread once you've refined it.

The skills shown are not all intended to be used, for example. You are supposed to make choices, if you try to choose all, you might be meaningfully less effective.

Then you're supposed to Synergize them with your Racial, Social, Religious and eventually Secondary Archetype Augments.

So if you don't like a skill, it's probably just not for you. It might be more helpful to Intrepid if you 'come up with a build you might like, choosing only half of the abilities you saw', so they can refine and improve your playstyle concept.

The showcase would not have been a 'Cleric Playstyle' concept demonstration at all. They even said so.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options

remember you arent going to use all the abilities...they were just showcasing them. you can build your character wide or tall. you might choose less healing skills and more supportive skills that arent heals, or offensive skills, etc...
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    edited July 2023
    The breadth of abilities let you customize your rotations to your play style.

In Dragon's Dogma you could slot four skills but only out of maybe 8.
    It was console port, but the lack of skills was a real downer.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yes. Some of the abilities would be in rotation. Many others would just be situational.
  • Options

I don't see a problem of having many skills. I'm fed up of those game forcing you to macro only a very limited amount of skills. If I can macro all of them, I will macro all of them using my keyboard at his maximum even if some of them are very situational.

Most of the game that limited you skills macroing did it because of controller versions of the game Xbox and PS. As AOC will not be released on consoles, there is not point to limit it.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    they are using GM characters, 18 skill on your action bar is intended for level 50 and they were using "level 15" characters

it doesn't mean or represent anything they are just a showcasing the skills and combat
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited July 2023
    Myosotys wrote: »
    I don't see a problem of having many skills. I'm fed up of those game forcing you to macro only a very limited amount of skills. If I can macro all of them, I will macro all of them using my keyboard at his maximum even if some of them are very situational.

Most of the game that limited you skills macroing did it because of controller versions of the game Xbox and PS. As AOC will not be released on consoles, there is not point to limit it.

A lot of misinformation in your post, here, @Myosotys … so let’s unpack each of your points:

First of all, macros won’t be allowed in Ashes.

See quote from Steven at the very bottom of my post. If Intrepid builds enough tools for players in the base game UI (e.g. keybinds and expanded HUD), there won’t be a need for macros anyway.

Second, a limitation on skills provides players with additional strategy in terms of what skills they should actually be using … and leaving off skills that aren’t paramount to that specific fight. In other words, players need to theorycraft their skills correctly in order to optimize their character.

If you’re a WoW or FFXIV player that’s heavily reliant on macros for combat, now is the time to consider whether Ashes is going to be the right game for you.

The issue with macros is that from an anti cheat metric perspective it's difficult to define what a macro is against a script. And in order to catch all scripts sometimes you have to prevent the macro usage. So really that's a that's a data issue. If we allow for macros then we lose our ability to precisely ban script users, botters.[1] – Steven Sharif
  • Options
    I see ... Can you explain how we are supposed to use skills without macro ? Only mouse ?
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I see ... Can you explain how we are supposed to use skills without macro ? Only mouse ?
    By pressing the skill's button? I feel like we have yet another "semantic" issue of "what da hell does macro mean to you, cause it feels like it means smth else to others".
  • Options
    According to me macro means allocating a key to a skill. It is not ?
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I guess "here's your problem". To me "macro" is a set of written commands that the game executes in order. You press one button, but the game produces several actions with preset delays and timings.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member

That’s a ‘keybind’.

NiKr wrote: »
    a set of written commands that the game executes in order. You press one button, but the game produces several actions with preset delays and timings.

That’s a macro.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    aaa I was using "Macro" as a synonym of "Keybind" as it is often commonly use... I guess technically it's a mistake. Thank you.
  • Options
    KilionKilion Member
    TBH even though it looked very nice in the showcase, considering that I'd have 7 more people on screen for a normal group size, the effects were over the top once again IMO, despite me understanding that Intrepid wants them to be pleasing to the eye on their own. But this ultimately is a matter that we will have time to further discuss when we get our hands on A2 and can provide some actual footage to go with this argument.

Beyond that I suspect they wanted to mainly showcase the selection of healing spells the cleric will have, not showcase the "level 35 cleric" with the exact skill kit they will have on that level, I suspect there will be some more utility and damage spells at that level and maybe some of the bigger healing spells still locked for another 5 levels.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    CadrorCadror Member
    Assuming AoC makes it possible to lose a limb, should Clerics use a spell to bring it back quick, or should they give a potion that does so slowly?
  • Options

I like the idea of choices and I don't think it's too much. For longevity in any class you want to be able to build diverse playstyles and since they're trying to converge different mmo players, having different types of heals(cooldown and spammable based) makes a lot of sense to me.

I would like to see more offensive tools though I agree w you there.
  • Options
    OrymOrym Member
    Too many?? I love having a lot of buttons to press personally. I find the skill cealing that comes with that very fun. When you finally master your class with like 20 abilities it feels super nice. Perfecting every scenario with the right ability to use. Puzzling everything together for a nice rotation and always come prepared to a fight is what I really enjoy about mmos.
  • Options
    SpifSpif Member
    edited July 2023
    Lack of easy-to-edit macros will be a barrier to people using them. IS knows they can't stop programmable keyboard users from doing their thing, but it's a lot different than other games where people copy macros wholesale from other people.

They can make the game flag or disconnect you if you fire up any popular free macro tool like AHK