Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

A idea on future races and content FOR POST LAUNCH...

Ap0ph1sAp0ph1s Member
edited July 2023 in General Discussion
A long while ago I think back in like 2020, I made a post asking and discussing the idea of 'earned races' like vampirism or lycanthropy or even stuff like becoming an automaton or lich. one of the things I wanted to make clear about the suggestions made there I intend to make VERY clear from the get go of this post is that these ideas if they aren't being worked on behind the scenes right now are nothing more than fun ideas to make the RPG aspect even more thrilling and enjoyable and I'm only talking about these ideas now cause I wanna get them out in the void so they at least aren't JUST in my head and I also wanna give the devs possible ideas to consider leaving space for post launch or just ideas to think about so post launch there wont be a worry for new content.

I'll start by rehashing the specifics of the 'earned races' part because that's a idea I like a lot and would love to make sure all these years later still is hopefully in the heads of some of the devs or at least the community with the idea being based loosely on the vampirism and lycanthropy of ESO. I say loosely because the method of getting it would be 100% different and the benefit to the player but also drawbacks would also be far greater seen as unlike ESO's walking god simulator, normal players in a REAL mmorpg wont be able to do too much by themselves unless they themselves are extremely smart and strategic and their enemies are exceedingly stupid. Along with this idea I made a fun little mock up of how one would get the automaton race but I think it might be fun to make a new mockup idea for the other non standard race I mentioned being the lich especially since unlike the automaton, lichs in basically any fantasy world already have to be a bit morally grey to become one if not outright evil to some degree which would make for some more fun quest decisions.

Now enough of the preamble and lets get one with it... The journey to lichdom is one seldom few EVER embark on for the path is bathed with the blood of countless innocents whether slaughtered by their own hands or by another whom they either couldn't or didn't stop. Your journey begins in a small town by the name of Marwood just on the outskirts of the local King Aeowins territory where you learn of a rumor about travelers going missing. Many don't think much of it seen as most who dare to travel from the safety of a local town or city are adventurers with strength unlike that of any other and seen as this rumor has existed for over a decade now, many simply presume the adventurers are simply leaving to investigate this rumor or running with their tail between their legs out of fear of being made to have to face a legendary monster. You are simply another adventurer journeying through this strange town on your own path to simply see what the world has to offer when the local innkeeper says to you "... hehe, so do ya have any interesting stories of monsters you've faced you'd like to share adventurer? I always love to regale my locals with stories of adventure seen as non of us would dare step foot outside of this town on account of the rumors of the disappearance of many who journey through here!" (you could perhaps link bosses to select to this especially with ai voicing opening up so many doors) After this you can regale the man with a tale or two of daring heroics and adventure or for the more inquisitive and perceptive who noticed a tinge of unwary fear when he mentioned the rumor you can ask further "...what do you mean that travelers have been going missing?" the innkeeper clearly a little worried but seemingly moreso out of a caring concern warns "Look many here believe it to be just tall tales of no mention seen as they have existed for over a decade now and the undead beasts and warriors from the frequent territorial disputes between the local nobles is more than enough to explain it, but.... There is something... Out there... I'm not sure what but its dangerous and I know I'm not the only one who's felt the most foreboding feeling coming from the eastern woods near where all the battles occur..." Confused, worried, and perhaps even a bit intrigued by the rumor you press further "So you believe there is something in the eastern woods then? Do you believe if could be something from the land disputes or do know anything that could be related to its true nature?" at this point characters with a high willpower can select from a variety of different questions with only 3 questions they can ask before he will say nothing more out of fear of whatever the source of the rumors may be while those with a high strength or armor with the minor passive benefit of intimidation boosts could ask upwards of 2 questions with starting of through intimidation will lock out the 3 questions from high willpower. After much questioning the man reveals that the mayor who is his personal best friend has made it a point to have asked for adventurers to explore the surrounding areas so the townspeople could be dissuaded of their fears but every time they simply returned having stated only lower level undead prowled the area and the foreboding presence that the townspeople felt didn't exist in reality with the final ruling being that while there was a larger quantity of undead than in most battles, the fact that the king of aeowin and the king of dunar both also have battles on this land and that the unexpected loss of travelers is simply due to inexperienced adventurers and simple travelers not being able to handle or evade so many undead. Upon divulging this the innkeeper diverts the topic back to a lighter tone simply restating that you should PLEASE be wary and if possible, just avoid heading eastwardly if possible.

Its at this point where the path to lichdom quest currently only know as the 'mysterious disappearances' can be ended for good for at least this node cycle (this would spawn in a non node town on the outskirts of a node city at level 5) by simply walking out of the town in any direction other than eastwardly but if one is a daring individual curious to see what could have the townspeople so on edge and afraid yet seemingly not being anything to be truly worried over, you can venture east and eventually if you can find the source by noting the amount of undead and heading to the center of them all the quest name will change to 'the master of the dead'. (the quest log would only tell you that you should investigate the source by looking for the area where all the undead seem to be congregating, no boring quest markers here!)

After the quests name changes like this your new task will become to explore this solo dungeon with the dungeon perhaps being best geared towards a summoner first, mage second, and the figher and tank should be at the same bottom rung of being able to clear it but with the most difficulty with the other classes should have things that would make them struggle almost too greatly to complete it with again, the quest can be ended for good by leaving the dungeon and leaving the eastern step near the town of marwood. The reason for why it would be easier for certain classes would simply be to help reinforce the idea of role play where the summoners perhaps could have special 'synergies' throughout the dungeon where you would 'learn to harness necromancy and the power of death' with unique items that will only work in the dungeon unless your secondary class is that of a clear using the death augment where that would actually boost and reinforce your death augments with this would go for all classes who use a death augment meaning that for the classes not a part of the 4 I mentioned, they still could win if far more difficulty than any other. There is also the possibility of just making primary class dungeons for solo dungeons in general that simply have tailored options to each of the base classes that make sure there is a equal yet poiniant challenge no matter who you are allowing everyone to do it technically equally well even if the challenges they face are different.

Now beyond this point as you progress through the quest 'the master of the dead' quest you will face more and more undead and if you so choose to make it easier for yourself but of course at the cost of being forced to use the foul, evil magic of death and necromancy (templar rpr's can have some real fun here) you will eventually reach a main chamber where a single undead will be sitting on the throne and if the 'primary archtype idea' is the option that the devs opt for, the undead could match your classes weapon and even on top of their own necromantic abilities actually have your own death augmented abilities selected as a mirror match reflection with perhaps the fun idea being that there never was a real lich down there but simply the future premonition of what you could become being produced by a stone in the center of the fake lichs chest known as a jewel of death being the crystallization of negative energy which is the opposite to the living energy produced by living things hence why just like how positive energy literally reduced the negative energy animating undead to nothing and killing them, the inverse is true where applying negative energy to a living thing reduced the living energy they produce to nothing which this also would explain why death spells that can cause instant death would have a much lower chance of working on a higher leveled character seen as they produce far too much living energy for the spell to destroy. Either way, after the chance to speak with the undead ends, a battle will ensue and throughout the course of it, will will become obvious as you look around and as the undead taunts and jeers at you that all the missing people had sense it and come here to investigate and on your way here you would see outside the normal people lost to the undead as very low level undead wandering outside having died before making it anywhere near this far with you would see higher and higher level undead as you come closer with them also being distinguished by those outside wearing simply just the armor of the local nobles and the regions kings or just basic armor and weapons of low level adventurers with the further in you go, the more expensive looking and intricate the armor and weapons will get and even the animations would become stronger and stronger seen as ones level doesn't just equate to producing more positive energy while alive but all things that die begin to produce negative energy and the higher the level the more you produce and when it comes to undead, that means the more of the original persons mind and memory is preserved hence why skilled high level warriors and mages are the real threats and why just a high level doesn't mean too much if the owner of such a high level only has the mind or skills of a mere beast.

For the final segment of the quest after having defeated the undead, it will fall to its knees and say "we truly are powerful aren't we.... *TOGETHER......* MAKE THIS DREAM OF OURS INTO A REALITY.... YOU KNOW YOU WANT MY POWER AND I WANT NOTHING MORE THAN TO GIVE IT......... MAKE US ONE AND MAKE MY POWER YOUR OWN............" this will be said as the skeleton also collapses after the together line and it turns to dust leaving just the stone which seemingly was the real orchestrater of this fight as you walk closer hearing it in your head almost screaming in a whispered tone more and more to accept it and while you can feel the rage, agony, pain, and deaths of all those who died to form it, it doesnt feel as if it wants to control you.... Your unsure but it almost feels like a weapon demanding to be used for some form of aimless revenge... The most unsettling thing you hear though amidst the demands screaming in your head is also pleas to be freed... Pleas to be released from being forced to hold such aimless hate

At this point the quest will become named finally 'the path of lichdom'. From here you have two options as the stone's energy screams in your head demanding your to take it within yourself and accept it to either do so and pick up the stone imbibing it into your body and into your core in the place of your heart or you can destroy the stone. The latter option of destroying it will lead to the souls of all those it contained dispersing with a mixture of mournful screams of anger for their loss of their revenge but also gratitude that you have freed them while the former option will lead to one of three options based on your karma levels or in this case could even be your corruption levels as if you have any corruption, the voices or the vengful will scream in joy and delight while those tormented souls longing for freedom will curse you as you become a true undead as the souls along with their negative energy will be locked inside you as for necromancers, the power of souls is a power that rivals any negative or positive energy accumulation imaginable granting you a drastically increased weakness to fire and holy magic while also granting a huge resistance to piercing and slashing weapons and attacks as well as powerful boost to your necromantic and death based abilities and their potency an also granting you some unique choices of summons if you yourself are a necromancer or at least have FULL death augments, you will be able to us a very low level undead soulbound army (it could be like something that spawns at ABSOLUTE MOST like level 20 but starts at level 5 meaning while it will have who knows how many soldiers with perhaps upwards of like 10 or even 15 summons that will constantly respawn from the area around you, each death of theirs will drain a portion of your mana on top of the constant drain though they wont count towards your total available summons. The lore will be that you bring forth the tormtened and vengeful souls contained within your wicked heart to force and also allow them to reap their aimless vengeance on any who oppose you while also gaining the ability to resurrect once every 24 hours on the spot as their body is meaningless as they have contained their soul in the phylactery that is the jewel of death at their heart showing that level of lack of care for all of their former life.

The second possibility would have you release tormented souls while allowing the vengeful souls to remain bound to you so those vengeful souls can release their hatred onto the world reducing the number of total summons at once by perhaps something like 5. With this option you also don't become a TRUE lich but instead become a regular lich with perhaps desiccated flesh still covering your body with perhaps also with your skull, spine, ribs, also pretreuding through your body as you still are a proper undead but simply not of the same caliber as a TRUE lich who as given up on ALL attachment to their former living selves as much as possible but perhaps not for no reason as regular liches of course come with a lessened weakness to fire and holy but still a severe one with the benefit that the desiccated flesh that still covers them actually grants them more negative energy they produce regularly or rather are able to exude allowing their summons to become level 25 or perhaps boosting the number of undead they can summon with the soubound army to perhaps upwards of 20 or reducing the cost of each loss making it far more manageable to use if of course they themselves loose out on the death protection and necromancy and death magic potency boost of being a TRUE lich.

The final option is to become what is known as a living lich where you have is to free all souls from the jewel of death which of course comes with no weakness to fire but with a loss of MOST of the physical damage reduction and with the loss of the soulbound army ability but would come with a boost to both death and life magic allowing for much more effective curses and heals than most as your contradictory state as a living lich leaves you producing both types of energy continuously with the destruction of both as they meet and annihilate only stokes them to rage more violently as all life does so while you are undead, you are also still alive insofar as the definition of it in world matters in that you would still be producing positive energy. this state would also make you not just weak to holy magic but also weak to death magic as the smallest imbalance in the production of both could lead to a catasrophe within your body meaning while you are no longer weak to fire which in most fantasy games is often THE MOST prevalent damage type to see, but in exchange you gain a equal weakness to death magic as your holy weakness also becomes greater seen as this option would be reserved primarily for healers who should be in the backround and out of the line of fire anyways with of course all races would require some level of gear allocated SPECIFICALLY to the reduction in the weaknesses strength limiting your overall power with the normal lich being the best option for more front line fighters who need the defense and benefits to their soulbound army while the TRUE lichs strength would lie not just in their benefit to normal necromancers whos summons would become far more powerful but also their death magic that would be empowered greatly as well.

The final note for this idea thread is that this could extend to new unique weapon lines or magic lines and not just be limited to races with that being how a large selection of 'new' abilites gets added instead of having to be the augments being all that different so that way people can make their own character VERY unique but the classes and archetypes in general don't have to be that source but instead the power you earn along your journey with also anyone who changes their race to ANY type of monster would find that they are no longer able to become non combatants as the people of the world hate all forms of monsters and while perhaps the lore idea is that monster players can hide that they are monsters through basic magic to most normal people allowing them full use of the towns and nodes services as well as ability to do quests by and large, if one were to die, their magic would break revealing their true nature and the fact that they were monsters and no longer akin to any of the races of Verra means that those who kill them wouldn't suffer from the influences of the harbingers corruption. All in all this is a idea that again I feel is probably the safest thing you could ever predict that the devs 110% aren't working on this right now nor even if they knew which the almost 100% don't, would they until the games full launch but to be fair, this IS just me putting this out there for the devs and communities own ability to see my idea and perhaps turn it into something even better than I coulda ever envisioned it later down the line after launch so we truly never need to worry about a content draught cause the devs cant think of what to add next! :D

Comments

• Options
    i feel sorry for vaknar, he has to read buildings of text T_T
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2023
    Hmmn... 2020...
    What year will Ashes release?
    And how long do you think it would take the devs to include these additions in an expansion?
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Hmmn... 2020...
    And how long do you think it would take the devs to include these additions in an expansion?

i'd imagine we are still likely 2 to 3 years out from a full release so the earliest reasonable time would be like 4 years AT LEAST. like i said i was getting this out there for the fun of it and so hopefully it worms its way in the heads of the devs so they leave a seat on the bus open so this idea would even be possible after launch. THIS is the time to get big system ideas like this out there since if there were to be mentioned only after full release than there is the chance that the way the systems woulda been designed wouldnt leave this as a possibility flat out so better to say it in the alpha phase with a heavy emphasis to only keep it in mind and not scope creep.
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    i feel sorry for vaknar, he has to read buildings of text T_T

i have a bad habit of doing that even when i try to stop it like i did here.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Hmmn... 2020...

last thing btw is that the game is hitting like only 7 years my guy... like normal mmorpgs without all these systems or this large a world already usually take around 11 years on the higher end and for reference, new worlds map fits within the size of the riverlands biome...... *and there are 18 biomes...*