Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What feelings will AoC combat provoke in its players?

MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
edited August 2023 in General Discussion
https://youtu.be/Lzlhdy3Hr2s?t=2
I really like the direction that has the development in AoC combat shown in the last update, but there is something that worries me, I think I really liked the environment in which the AoC combat is surrounded, the environment in AoC has improved so much that is able to convey those real artistic sensations where it seems a more alive world, I really love how the direction of the environmental development in AoC is going but that's why I have a doubt, I'm so pleased with what has been shown in the last development updates where there is combat because of the environment or because of how the combat is being developed? .

1.- What feelings will AoC combat provoke in its players?
2.- LoL vs DOTA2

Most of the links are 30 second videos, please watch them for more understanding.

1.- What feelings will AoC combat provoke in its players?

While a well-made lore, a well-made music, a well-made environment, well-made systems or even well-made cinematic can provoke in the players the birth of sensations and feelings that make them want to try or continue playing that video game is also very important, I would say that even primordial, the feelings and sensations that the combat provokes in its players, and I do not mean that it has to be the best combat made in the history of video games, but rather that this combat can transmit to its players those feelings and sensations that the video game wants to transmit with its development and for which that video game is being developed.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxXVDKljkPKuISVOs3be3G1kslZSVToSGf ( The feelings that different things in a videogame can provoke in people )

Players are like sponges, we absorb all the good and bad that the video game throws at us and we reach a limit, good or bad, where it makes us want to keep playing or stop playing, that's why it is so important the feelings that the combat provokes in its players as it is something that players will be doing for a long time.

So, I understand or I think I understand what is the current approach that has the AoC combat shown in the last update, a combat very pulled to the old school style, where the skills, moves and teamwork is very strategic to bring out the best potential of all, apart where the focus of each class is very defined,for me the cleric I saw in this last update is one if not the best cleric I've seen in my life playing MMORPGS, he felt and transmitted what a cleric is, he was totally a cleric and I loved it because it made me want to try it not only for his skills or rotation but for what he transmitted, to be a true cleric.

In my opinion the approach and direction of the combat is in a very good way , you can feel the organic , artistic approach to combat coupled with the environment that also has a spectacular direction , you can feel that the combat is in a direction that will let it grow healthily to get better with the development .

However, I also noticed in some moments that the combat seemed to lack mobility, as if it was too old school and lacked to add some modernity.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxJNGIUCf0W6FkBU2eA0wipiNIiDqBclN-
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxBszmqpLtTdAH9P5wVUVpCebPLixqBztA

When people talk about AoC combat they tend to say that it is "hybrid", but what does that really mean?.
Will there be moments where the mobility will be hybrid?.
Will there be moments where the mobility will be faster or slower?
Will there be times where it will feel more old school or modern?.

I would like to give two examples that do not go hand in hand with MMORPGS but that in my opinion provoke in their players those feelings that make their players say "this is my main" and that's why I play this game.

2.- LoL vs DOTA2

They have so much in common but at the same time so many things that differentiate and characterize them.

LoL is explosive, frenetic, not very strategic because players are differentiated more by their skills, their quick reaction and speed of adaptation to situations. You could say that LoL has a lot of "modern" influence within the MOBA genre.

Dota on the other hand is more strategic, slower, with less explosiveness because its players are more characterized by knowing how to manage their economy, know how to punish the opponent and take advantage of the clear moments to make the difference between victory and defeat. It could be said that DOTA2 has a lot of "old school" influence within the moba genre.

Both have a very similar combat but with very marked differential characteristics, while one needs to be more explosive and skillful, the other needs to be more slow and strategic.

But, what do they both have in common in their combat that attracts so much attention from their players? What do LoL and DOTA2 have in common that generates in their players those feelings to dedicate 5 thousand hours to a single character to call him "MY MAIN" or on the contrary to say "MY MAIN" to a newly created character but of which the player generated those feelings that made him feel so comfortable with that character that he just knows.

LoL and DOTA2 have managed to conceptualize and demonstrate that it is not necessary to have a combat so explosive and skillful or slow and strategic to please the players, But in their combats that have different characteristics, a hybrid balance prevails where their characters have many characteristics of TAB TARGET and ACTION COMBAT (AIM) in their skills and that causes that their players of both LoL and DOTA2 feel comfortable with the characters since they have skill kits that manage to create for the players situations of versatility, differentiation and freedom that other video games do not have.

The key to the success of LoL and DOTA2 combat is the "MOMENTUM". where players are given the freedom to use a character's distinctive ability to generate a distinctive "moment" that character has and therefore give their player a feeling of full control in that situation.

For example, let's take a look at the situation that happened here. https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxBszmqpLtTdAH9P5wVUVpCebPLixqBztA

Now let's look at that situation https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxF5J4MU5Uh60wE6HwK6agnEpZPApSx1gd
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxWPPGxGiRakqTnZdmT_wJT1iCBiDthO-E

How important it is to give focus to those "MOMENTS" that make the player feel powerful, free, in control but without being ACTION or TAB dependent, but rather as a mobile detail that gives a unique characteristic to the character and player.

I think this is the key to hybrid combat in AoC, it is not that the problem is too much or too little TAB or ACTION, but that there are not those "moments" that make you have a differential in certain circumstances and therefore make the TAB look more leisurely and ACTION more frenetic.

It is not the same to have a BDO combat (Action) frenetic, compulsive, chaotic than to have ACTION combat with skills that generate "MOMENTS" where the character has and demonstrates versatility, freedom and control of the situation.
It is not the same to have a WOW combat (TAB) slow, strategic, manageable than having a TAB combat with skills that generate "MOMENTS" where the character has and demonstrates versatility, freedom and control of the situation.

How different this situation would have been https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxJNGIUCf0W6FkBU2eA0wipiNIiDqBclN-
that this situation https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxuJKtT7rx_mOWt8s-hw2PRvf85Tvtbcue
that simple movement of running would have given dynamism to the situation, would have given Steven freedom of positioning to use skills and would have given him control of the situation or maybe some repositioning skill, something that generates that "moment" that gives the player the freedom to generate outplays.

With a simple detail of "moment" you can change a whole situation and that's what makes LoL and DOTA2 combat great, they take advantage of the "moments" very well either in moves, skills, items, passives, etc, put 10 people together in a 5 vs 5 combat and the magic is born, imagine 250 vs 250 people with skills that generate unique but controlled moments, it would be spectacular.

The vast majority of players do not play characters out of necessity (unless they are in a very high elo), but play characters for affinity and fun, what is more affinity and fun for them they will play or in some cases play characters that are in the "META" but that condition is temporary being rotating and always returning to the search for FUN AND AFFINITY WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER.
That is why LoL and DOTA2 players are so attached to their characters , that is why those players do not call a character DPS , tank or mage , but rather by their names , Jinx , Wukong , Axe , BREWMASTER , because those characters for LoL and DOTA2 players are their mains , they have unique characteristics that differentiate them from others to create "moments" by which the player will have the ability to have situations to create outplays , have versatility , differentiation and freedom.

EDym4eg.png

Comments

• Options
    Raven016Raven016 Member
    edited August 2023
    It is not the same to have a BDO combat (Action) frenetic, compulsive, chaotic than to have ACTION combat with skills that generate "MOMENTS" where the character has and demonstrates versatility, freedom and control of the situation.
    It is not the same to have a WOW combat (TAB) slow, strategic, manageable than having a TAB combat with skills that generate "MOMENTS" where the character has and demonstrates versatility, freedom and control of the situation.

Time to kill should have the same effect as the psssss of the creeper in Minecraft.
    Not too long and not too short. Just right to realize you die. Sometimes you must be able to escape if you flee. Or survive if you fight and others unexpectedly join to help.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I do like me a main char in a game :)
    gupcmlar1svc.png

And here's a "moment" from a tab mmo (not my gameplay). Two best representatives of their respective classes on the server. Usually this matchup is a 50/50, but here the main character of the video (playing my main class from L2) managed to win because her paralysis successfully landed. One more skill from the rogue and MC woulda lost.
    https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxgYubmVrs_MzTHsJRMcQZFiXJZXW9GBSD
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would think that hybrid combat means that some of the Active Skills will allow for mobility and some the Active Skills won't.
  • Options
    dagger didnt use hide T_T but yeah lucky slh lmao
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Depraved wrote: »
    dagger didnt use hide T_T but yeah lucky slh lmao
    Most likely cause they've fought each other a shitton of times and he knew that slh would just warp/blink and break that hide w/o putting herself in danger.
  • Options
    maybe who knows