Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Preventing dungeon boss spawn camping.

So from the showcases we have seen, you portal into a boss room in the dungeon to fight them. Well I was thinking what's stopping players from just waiting in that room for the next spawn so they can just ignore the rest of the dungeon and farm the good stuff?

Well, assuming this is a problem, make it so you can't go back through that entrance from the boss room to the main dungeon (tonprevent players from simply waiting outside for next spawn). And once the boss is defeated, have an exit that can activate this as well, and after about a 5 minute time limit in the room just force teleport the players out to the beginning of the dungeon, or to a 1 way exit out the back of the dungeon that can't be entered from outside, this can be to 1 spot or a random spot from many exit points. You can also lock down the entrance to the boss room once the boss is dead so players don't get stuck in there and have to go back to the start.
GJjUGHx.gif

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    L2 just didn't let you enter the boss' room (if it was locked like the volcano dragon from A1) until he respawned. People will still always camp it as soon as the earliest timer on its respawn starts. You can't prevent that with bosses who have any sort of predetermined respawn.

I prefer it that way because this leads directly to the kind of pvp I posted in a neighboring thread.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    L2 just didn't let you enter the boss' room (if it was locked like the volcano dragon from A1) until he respawned. People will still always camp it as soon as the earliest timer on its respawn starts. You can't prevent that with bosses who have any sort of predetermined respawn.

I prefer it that way because this leads directly to the kind of pvp I posted in a neighboring thread.

That's fine, but I still think once you kill the boss, you should have to go back through the dungeon instead of just sitting at the spawn all day without having to work your way back to it.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Dolyem wrote: »
    That's fine, but I still think once you kill the boss, you should have to go back through the dungeon instead of just sitting at the spawn all day without having to work your way back to it.
    I mean, that would mean that players literally wasted a whole day of potential farming. "Going back" would most likely not be difficult at all, because, depending on how dungeons are designed, rooms would be taken up by people so the raiding group would not even touch a mob on their way to the boss.

And if Intrepid want raid to instead touch some mobs on purpose, then they can just have you do a quest that requires mobs that respawn all across the dungeon. No need to TP people out or do anything of the sort.
  • Options
    I mean, that would mean that players literally wasted a whole day of potential farming. "Going back" would most likely not be difficult at all, because, depending on how dungeons are designed, rooms would be taken up by people so the raiding group would not even touch a mob on their way to the boss.

And if Intrepid want raid to instead touch some mobs on purpose, then they can just have you do a quest that requires mobs that respawn all across the dungeon. No need to TP people out or do anything of the sort.

In that case, I'd say to have the boss location spawn in a different area of the dungeon each time. Make it into a sort of race to find it 😉 I just look at providing easy access to the entrance even after just killing something as bad gameplay. Though I do agree having a static spawn area provides PvP potential at least.
    And I don't see why it's a bad thing to have the players who just finished the dungeon have to go back through it again?
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    And I don't see why it's a bad thing to have the players who just finished the dungeon have to go back through it again?
    It's not bad, it's just kinda pointless because in absolute majority of cases they'll just go do smth else, because staying in that place is a waste of time. And if Ashes only has a single damn valuable boss (that presumably respawns each day too? lol) then the game has way bigger problems than just players remaining in the same location.

As for random spawns. I guess this could be done with some npc that TPs you to the boss room and that NPC can have random spawns (this to avoid design problems of moving the boss itself). But this would just lead to the simplest solution by guilds. They'll spread out their members to every point where the npc could appear (or where that location can at least be visible), and as soon as he respawns - they'll rush there.

And if there's enemies around - you just do what I described with alts, while your main guild is logged out in the most optimal location in the dungeon.

This is why I say that's it's pointless. And again, all Intrepid would need to do is require you to do a quest to enter that boss room (on each member of the raid) and then have that quest require you to kill some mobs that are spread out across the entire dungeon. Yet again, this is literally what L2 did for its Epic Bosses :)
  • Options

This is why I say that's it's pointless. And again, all Intrepid would need to do is require you to do a quest to enter that boss room (on each member of the raid) and then have that quest require you to kill some mobs that are spread out across the entire dungeon. Yet again, this is literally what L2 did for its Epic Bosses :)

Do you have to do this quest for each spawn?
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options

It depend of the epic boss, but globally, yes, you must do a new quest each time. There are some exceptions, but it's a detail.

And for a few raid bosses, you must do a quest too.

It's important to note epic bosses has generally a long respawn (More than 1 week) with a big enough window.
  • Options
    LeRebelle wrote: »

It depend of the epic boss, but globally, yes, you must do a new quest each time. There are some exceptions, but it's a detail.

And for a few raid bosses, you must do a quest too.

It's important to note epic bosses has generally a long respawn (More than 1 week) with a big enough window.

Honestly, I kind of like it. I doubt dungeon bosses would take more than one to a few hours to respawn, if that. But I do like the idea of a sort of quest to gain access to the room for each spawn.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options

Honestly, I kind of like it. I doubt dungeon bosses would take more than one to a few hours to respawn, if that. But I do like the idea of a sort of quest to gain access to the room for each spawn.

"Simple" raid bosses in L2 has more than 1 day of respawn. (I didn't remember the exact timer, moreover, there is a window too, to avoid a spawn camp)

But, as I said, simple raid bosses barely don't have quest to do it.
  • Options
    Some players like to camp. Maybe give them a tent and a camp fire too :)
    If there are alternatives for others who hate camping, then is a good game.
  • Options
    LeRebelle wrote: »
    "Simple" raid bosses in L2 has more than 1 day of respawn. (I didn't remember the exact timer, moreover, there is a window too, to avoid a spawn camp)

For most versions and most average raid bosses the respawn time was 12h(min)-24h(max).

Camping wasn't very reasonable for all those bosses with a 12h random respawn windows, people mostly had characters logged off in the respawn spots to check them from time to time.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In my opinion open world dungeons should have bosses and mini-boss named mobs that all respawn with some variability but between 8 and 24 hours. If players chose to camp that is fine. If others want to take the camp, they have the ability to try.

Ideally you should never have one mob that is needed by every player on the server for any reasonm, quest or item drop. Balancing the need for these encounters should solve and issues with long term player camping.
  • Options

why? also respawn timers fix that...no one is gonna sit there for 24 hours after killing the boss waiting for the respawn =x