Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Orc blood color that makes sense increase immersion - hear me out

Hi!

I just wanted to share my idea of the small detail of the color of Ren'kai and Kai'vek.

We are used to seeing red blood but it doesn't have to be that color.

Real world reference:
Several existing animals have blue blood due to the presence of a copper-based molecule called hemocyanin in their circulatory systems. Hemocyanin plays a role similar to hemoglobin in vertebrates, but instead of iron, it contains copper, which gives the blood a blue color when oxygenated. Here are a few examples of animals with blue blood:

Horseshoe Crabs have blue blood that contains hemocyanin. Their blood is used in the biomedical industry to test for bacterial contamination in medical equipment and vaccines.

Horseshoe crab blood is valuable because it contains a substance called Limulus Amebocyte Lysate (LAL) that is exceptionally sensitive to bacterial endotoxins. LAL is derived from the blue blood of horseshoe crabs, specifically from their amebocytes (special cells involved in their immune response). This sensitivity to endotoxins makes LAL a crucial component in the testing of medical equipment, vaccines, and other biomedical products for bacterial contamination.

How red blood affects humans?

Human skin color affects colour of our skin. Generally skin colour is affected by amount of melanin, and color of underlying tissue (which because of blood mix of white and red, giving pinkish color of tissues).

If we had blue blood instead of red our tissue would have color in shades of blue, with melatonin adding yellow/brown to the mix creating shades of green.

I would personally find it immersive if both orc races would have blue blood as both of them have a mix of greens and blues as skin tone.

Comments

• Options
    CawwCaww Member
    I don't want to see blood and gore from combat no matter what color scheme... this isn't a slasher fest....
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Caww wrote: »
    I don't want to see blood and gore from combat no matter what color scheme... this isn't a slasher fest....

I want to see as much blood as possible, this ain't a Barbie MMO
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    I don't recall hearing about visible blood during combat.

I think green skin was an option for the orcs, so that's something.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2023
    I believe there is already blood VFX, look at the fighter/basic weapon attack showcase

edit:
    j1xvfim7vywb.png

yesss need more
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    RavicusRavicus Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I want blood, more blood, body parts, cannabalistic cooking recipe''s. I want it all!! I wonder what the next store packet will have in it? It supposed to be darker themed muhahahaha!
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2023
    Sitol wrote: »
    Human skin color affects colour of our skin. Generally skin colour is affected by amount of melanin, and color of underlying tissue (which because of blood mix of white and red, giving pinkish color of tissues).

If we had blue blood instead of red our tissue would have color in shades of blue, with melatonin adding yellow/brown to the mix creating shades of green.

I would personally find it immersive if both orc races would have blue blood as both of them have a mix of greens and blues as skin tone.
    Typically, color of blood does not affect color of skin very much in mammals.
    I have a feeling that Orcs did not evolve from Crabs. Orcs still seem to be some form of mammal.
    That being said... The Gods have a hand in the appearances of their "Children", so... with High Fantasy Magic...
    the color of skin and the color of blood do not have to conform with Science logic.
  • Options
    I'm indifferent, as long as blood spills. Something something blood god, something something skull throne.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    arent orcs pigs?
  • Options
    It kind of would be nice to see something exotic like blue blood from certain races and NPCs. Not entirely needed - but it'd be nice.

Just one more "something" to set our experience apart from other games of the past.

• Options
    RavicusRavicus Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Depraved wrote: »
    arent orcs pigs?

actually humans are called long pigs. Muhahahaha
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    xD
  • Options
    KalnazzarKalnazzar Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2023
    Caww wrote: »

Yeah, I am gonna vote to see blood when something is killed maybe have an option for people who don't want to see gore but this is not a care bear MMORPG. But why are people playing a game where you kill people, animals, and creatures and then turn around and say blood is an issue it is kinda a confusing mindset to have. Reminds me of people that eat meat but say killing animals for food is wrong. But +1 for this I would love to see some cool blood colors blue, purple, and black just some options.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Sitol wrote: »

Typically, color of blood does not affect color of skin very much in mammals.
    I have a feeling that Orcs did not evolve from Crabs. Orcs still seem to be some form of mammal.
    That being said... The Gods have a hand in the appearances of their "Children", so... with High Fantasy Magic...
    the color of skin and the color of blood do not have to conform with Science logic.

Crabs are just a reference that creatures like that exist and their blue blood actually makes them less prone to have diseases which suits orc imo.
    I think what I stated is true for mammals and all other creatures. It's just uncommon for an animal to have no fur and no special dye in their skin as the result of evolutionary adaptation to the environment.

Newborn mammals can a lot of times show that though or check no-fur albinos of any species. If orcs are dragonborn - check albino lizards. You''ll see natural color of tissue, with no coloration.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    AFAIK, Hemocyanin is found in some arthropods and molluscs.
    Not reptiles and not mammals. AFAIK.
    So... the Science is not sound...

Again... the Science doesn't really matter because Verra is a High Magic Fantasy setting where Orcs were created and modified by Gods. Orcs can have whatever color blood the Gods want them to have.