Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

a ability system opinions...

Ap0ph1sAp0ph1s Member
edited August 2023 in General Discussion
So this is a simple opinion of mine based on how the game is looking a bit too action orientated for how they are handling the ability bar and don't get me wrong, I LIKE the current style of combat but think some changes NEED to be made or AT LEAST *allowed* unless they want to make combat to sluggish to keep up with the intended pace and its a simple change but an important one I think being simply put, they need to lower the number of abilities per bar to 5 to 6 at max since as a ESO player, I'm used to this similar style of hybrid combat and it would just flat out be more helpful and easy to use for those who play with the action system to have it so either the number of abilities per bar isn't THAT DRASITC as having to reach across your keyboard and fully let go of you movement JUST to use an ability.

Now I also understand that the current setup is more accessible to those playing in tab mode so perhaps they could just make this ANOTHER optional feature that perhaps by default has it so you have 4 bars of 5 abilities if your in action mode and if your in tab mode than you have 2 bars of 10 with if you perhaps prefer bars of 5 in tab than you could select that or bars of 10 in action from some insane reason than that's also a choice. really I just think it currently would make it so even tab players would have to much time wasted selecting abilities and using them to keep up and just needlessly makes combat more annoying.

edit: man i got a lot of responses and you all seemed to be misunderstanding HEAVILY... what im saying is in the same boat as people saying that the spell effects should have a damn slider.... like let us choose if we want to have 5 abilites per bar with 4 bars or the full 10 per 2 bars because while 10 per bar works fine in tab combat, its SHIT it action combat and beyond that in general the ACTUAL thing you can complain about as a contraversial thing is that i also feel that the number of total abilites should be lower than fucking 20 since at least to my understanding, the general number of spells each class will get is about 40 so you get to use HALF of the damn kit at max leve? yea no that sounds like a recipe for things boiling down into everyone just all having the same build that maybe each person uses differently but ultimately isnt too different with of course if there are weapon abilites and world skill line style abilies with i already know that there is apparently guild 'abilities' or at least something people in smaller guilds can get and also node abilites for citizens of the node. basically pay attention to the points of a persons argument rather than reading one single thing and deciding you dont agree and if you all STILL are against the first part which let me remind you was a suggestion that there needs to be options in regards to number of abilites per ability bar, than i genuinly dont get how you can even be coming to that conclusion.

Comments

• Options
    arsnnarsnn Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    I dont agree how your feedback is presented. Intrepid doesnt need to do something because you are an ESO player.

However i agree with the sentiment that Intrepid has to be vary about the big split in requirements when it comes to the keybindings between action and tab mode.
    It is indeed hard to handle 10 keys as an action player.

I hope it will be possible to opt into having a bit less abilities as an action player.
    I personally can reach the keys 1,2,3,4 and Q,E maybe F.
    Using shift as a second layer (shift + 1 and so on) would give 12-14 ability slots. This may not be optimal for action players, but i think that would be fine.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    ESO and it's severe lack of in combat options is the main reason I left the game.

I love the Elder Scrolls world, I love the lore - but that total lack of in combat options made the game just not worth playing.

16 class abilities and 8 consumable/activated items is what I consider a minimum in terms of in combat options.
  • Options
    1,2,3,4,5,Q,E,R,F,V, MB4
    Shift - all of the above
    I use theses bindings so i never have to reach across the keyboard to press what i want.
    I like the idea of just changing collums of bars and how many slots per bar yourself.
    Not much more i can add before actually getting a feel for the game and then getting an understanding of how many abilities and bindings will be required in the different modes, looking forward to A2
  • Options
    As far as information on that goes, the action bar will be, like most elements of the UI, adjustable to players needs and preferences, with the only clear limitation being - as far as I am aware - that there can only be 15-20 skills in the overall hotbar of the total of ~40.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    unless they want to make combat to sluggish to keep up with the intended pace and its a simple change but an important one I think being simply put, they need to lower the number of abilities per bar to 5 to 6 at max

Ew, doing that is exactly a factor that would cause the combat to be sluggish
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I mean... you probably should not need more than 10 of your action-combat Active Skills on the hotbar.
    We'll learn more about this during Alpha 2. Especially as we gain access to Augments.
  • Options
    Use a mouse with more than 3 buttons. This ain't no controller game!
  • Options
    1,2,3,4,5,Q,E,R,F,V, MB4
    Shift - all of the above
    I use theses bindings so i never have to reach across the keyboard to press what i want.
    I like the idea of just changing collums of bars and how many slots per bar yourself.
    Not much more i can add before actually getting a feel for the game and then getting an understanding of how many abilities and bindings will be required in the different modes, looking forward to A2
    I like having a lot of abilities on hand.

Hotkeying solves a lot of problems. 0-9. Shift+0-9. Crtl+0-9, Alt+0-9. That is forty key combinations right there.

• Options
    I use an MMO mouse with the number pad
    1-12 and then shift, and alt... That's 36 easy ones... MB3,4,5 add another 9
  • Options
    i use a nostromo. i have 200 buttons at my fingertips and i dont even have to move my hand :D