Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Starting a Religion

Since Ashes of Creation is something of "Sandpark" or "Themebox" MMO, I had an idea that I thought would be really cool: I want to create a religion to add to the game's lore and run a guild of characters who are either the founders of the religion or its current most zealous proselytes.

Before I put a lot of thought into it and time researching the lore, I thought it might be fun to go ahead and bring it up to the community. This is an MMO after all: the fun of the game is playing together.

I was thinking the religion's world view might be that the gods of the setting are merely servants and foes of the true god, the uncreated being who created everything but has since become estranged from his creation, though he has revealed to his prophets that one day he will return to the world and that they must go forth and make straight the way for his return so that he can set everything right.

I was thinking the faith could have the same sort of vibe as the Imperium of Man from Warhammer 40k: ultra zealous knights charging forth to prepare the way for the Incarnate, the one who will reclaim his rightful place as ruler of creation. Only, I think for the sake of facilitating a wholesome community we'd have to be a lot nicer than Space Marines.

What do you all think?

Comments

• Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Your idea is innovative, but personally I really like the religions as they have shown us in the wiki, and I don't think we need any more.
  • Options
    I actually really want to incorporate the other religions into this Faith.

I also didn't realize they'd already made some posts about religions; I'd looked around on YouTube but hadn't found anything that did much more than describe some lore.

I'll go check the wiki and see how I want to incorporate the existing content into this idea. My goal isn't to supplant the existing lore but to create something that enters into dialogue with it.
  • Options
    Since Ashes of Creation is something of "Sandpark" or "Themebox" MMO, I had an idea that I thought would be really cool: I want to create a religion to add to the game's lore and run a guild of characters who are either the founders of the religion or its current most zealous proselytes.

I am confident with enough Players competent and active enough in Roleplay, this is effortlessly possible.
    I was thinking the religion's world view might be that the gods of the setting are merely servants and foes of the true god, the uncreated being who created everything but has since become estranged from his creation, though he has revealed to his prophets that one day he will return to the world and that they must go forth and make straight the way for his return so that he can set everything right.

I was thinking the faith could have the same sort of vibe as the Imperium of Man from Warhammer 40k: ultra zealous knights charging forth to prepare the way for the Incarnate, the one who will reclaim his rightful place as ruler of creation. Only, I think for the sake of facilitating a wholesome community we'd have to be a lot nicer than Space Marines.

What do you all think?

Thanks for this amazing Suggestion,

actually this reminds me a LOT of a certain Group from one of the most notorious, first Sneak- and Stealth Games Series called Dark Project and later on, Thief.

- The Hammerites

They worship a Being, a God* , called " The Builder ".
    At least if my translation into English is perfect. In my german Homelanguage he is called "Der Erbauer", what should mean pretty much The Builder in English.

A Deity of unconditional Creation : worshipped by Humans for the Gift and Ability to use their own Imagination and Hands to create and shape things according to their own Will.

Tools, Architecture, Infrastructure - you know it.

While a few Animals can create their own Hives, Kingdoms (Ants, Termites(?) whatever you name it ^^),

the Hammerites from Dark Project/Thief worship and admire the very Ability of Humanity itself to create Cities and "Civilisation" where there is otherwise only wild Nature Landscapes.

Their Zeal and Devotion to protect and spread their Teachings, Doctrine and Faith also reminded me to a certain Extent very much of the Warhammer40K Ultra Marines and pretty much every other Human from the Warhammer40K Universe, who is loyal to the God Emperor and wants to see his Empire and Will enforced.

Though as Warhammer40K is "metal as f~xxx" - even the Hammerites are not as fanatic as them.

I dare say, the "Level" of Faith (and Fanatism) of the Hammerites should be enough for the most Hardline, bold and serious Members of such a Religion.

You can easily go with "more soft and friendly" Members for those of less Fanatism and Seriousness and it wouldn't harm the religious (and fanatic) Side of such an eager Cult, Sect, Religion and Group what'so'ever. ;)
    a50whcz343yn.png