Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Bracket style PVP tournaments

Something i think would be healthy for the game is the ability for players to set up custom tournaments. More specifically the bracket style. As an example would a popular guild or streamer create a for all to see. It would be visible on a board of sorts. You could go in and look at each participant in the pool. Transparancy is key.

Of course this could be done 1vs1 matches by the players in a way but the effort would stiple the content created that would create a ecosystem of its own. Also the transparacy of an ingame system minimizes rigging or cheating with who participates against who since there will always be a bias in guilds, dont know about streamers.

Use the same system for naming these as for nodes. Exceptions for popular brands. They earned it.

Some examples down below:

lcd5vxj5j9dc.png
o2a7rabjofs0.png

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    This could be a good addition in some later update, but I would not want this in the base game purely because there'd be no super effective benefit to it. People can do all of this on their own through discord/streams/etc and be fine with it, as long as there is even a single ow arena location in the game.

As for fairness of competition, this system can be abused too, so it's not like it would somehow escape colluding.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    This could be a good addition in some later update, but I would not want this in the base game purely because there'd be no super effective benefit to it. People can do all of this on their own through discord/streams/etc and be fine with it, as long as there is even a single ow arena location in the game.

As for fairness of competition, this system can be abused too, so it's not like it would somehow escape colluding.

Indeed not many would start a tournament at the launch? Who knows? But i agree that the more time goes on the more the system gives a benefit. Is it scopecreep or not? Who knows? But a system is harder to implement after then before.

Can you elaborate on how the fairness would be abused? And keep in mind the tournaments would only be for fun. No rewards. OK, the honor maybe ;)
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Sunboy wrote: »
    Is it scopecreep or not? Who knows? But a system is harder to implement after then before.
    I'd imagine that it's just a UI window with maybe a few additions. I'd just prefer that it's not a window they need 30 damn passes on before the game releases. We've got enough of those.
    Can you elaborate on how the fairness would be abused? And keep in mind the tournaments would only be for fun. No rewards. OK, the honor maybe ;)
    People can still throw fights if they know their opponent. People can still bully someone into losing, because they have a ton of power in the game. And other stuff like this.

The system itself wouldn't be able to prevent that, so it wouldn't bring much benefit when compared to a discord-based tournament. Yes, it would be marginally easier to organize, but that margin would be tiny, because if you wanted a proper good tournament you'd need to organize people way before time and that require out-of-the-game communication, which would be on discord - at which point why not organize the whole thing there.

A good tournament system could definitely bring some life into the game if it becomes stale later on though, so I do agree that we should get this at some point in the future.
  • Options
    I think a tournament system would be a great addition at some point. You could add it to a military node where you have to buy in and the winner takes all or top 3 takes winnings or something. Could even branch the winnings out to other things in game.

Only thing that concerns me a bit about 1v1 tournaments is that the classes aren't balanced for 1v1 so not sure how that would play out, how are those encounters determined, is it more through player skill or character stats?

But I do really like the idea would be a really fun mechanic to have in Ashes.
  • Options
    People can still throw fights if they know their opponent. People can still bully someone into losing, because they have a ton of power in the game. And other stuff like this.

The system itself wouldn't be able to prevent that, so it wouldn't bring much benefit when compared to a discord-based tournament. Yes, it would be marginally easier to organize, but that margin would be tiny, because if you wanted a proper good tournament you'd need to organize people way before time and that require out-of-the-game communication, which would be on discord - at which point why not organize the whole thing there.

A good tournament system could definitely bring some life into the game if it becomes stale later on though, so I do agree that we should get this at some point in the future.

Im not sure if you think the system is OK or not. First you mention that the margins are to small and then that it would be good in the future with a system like this. Can you clarify?

You are right as the system cant stop people from throwing fights. You cant stop corruption or stupidity. But my argument is there is less corruption then an private arranged tournament.

Discussing the margins are speculative and would lead nowhere fast but even a sub 1% increase i would count as a more active community as the player pool is so large (hopefully)

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Im not sure if you think the system is OK or not. First you mention that the margins are to small and then that it would be good in the future with a system like this. Can you clarify?
    It would be a good addition when people just log into the game to do random shit w/o a plan. That usually happens once there's no high value content left to do in the game.

And an automatic tournament between just randos from your node or even from the entire server would be nice.

Before that any tournament would go against valuable content (whatever it is for different players), so they'd need to go out of their way to participate in it and this lands itself to a non-spontaneous organization, rather than a random "spur of the moment" thing.
    But my argument is there is less corruption then an private arranged tournament.
    I guess you're talking about some shittily organized tourneys with dumb rules? Cause I'd expect those to just die out cause people would not participate in those. And if they do participate in them and get meaningfully "fucked over" - imo that's on them.

But against a properly set up tournament this system wouldn't really have any benefit. Could definitely be a valuable tool to use, but, as I said, it'll be a good addition later on.
  • Options
    Tournaments are good endgame PvP content. Especially for groups. Sadly, instead of default endgame, Ashes gives players a ton of sinks. So, I guess there would be little to no time for fun (PvX implication, happy to be wrong).
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ashes of Creation, main stage EVO 2030.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Azherae wrote: »
    Very optimistic of you to believe that we'll get the game by then :D
  • Options

But a system is harder to implement after then before.

disagree. That depends.

i like the idea, but this is something that can be done later on after launch. people will be trying ot learn the game and progress early on, plus there isnt a reward (unless they add it later) and its not really a core feature. it would be a nice additional feature later on, maybe added during the first year after launch
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Azherae wrote: »
    Very optimistic of you to believe that we'll get the game by then :D

I'll have you know that I have experienced and dedicated tournament bracket runners who have braved the horrors of running an entire tournament on just two setups from a PC beta and also play Melty Blood.

Esportsz.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    they could be set up by nodes or tavern owners to raise funds. Leaderboard benefits plus cash prizes. Perhaps a legendary item could be put as a prize to raise money. Players could earn cash prizes.

You could even have an instanced "arena" which is open to spectators.

I agree this is a great idea and also agree it can wait until after launch.
  • Options
    RavicusRavicus Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    no leaderboards please. Just no.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited August 2023
    My bracket team will be named "Bye" ... so that I can passively win without other players showing up to play.

B)
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ravicus wrote: »
    no leaderboards please. Just no.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Leader_boards

Merry Christmas @Ravicus

0eb6m0okxd5l.gif
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    Sounds like the kind of feature/upgrade for a military nodes.

*In before official announcement.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options

tbh players could run this given the structure to do so (either freehold or arena building in a node aka military building option) Somone can set up a torny with gold buy in for prize pool dont realy need ingame system to accomodate it and it will also add to social element of the game