Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

"As a solo/casual player I will miss out on the mayor gameplay"

Feel free to park your QQing here. I know there is a tidal wave coming.

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 2023
    Yeah, they will.

It's just one among many aspects of gameplay they will miss out on.
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Did you find that attention yet?
  • Options
    Considering my personal preferences in gameplay, it's more a blessing than a downside.

Administrative functions? Nurturing relationships and balancing opposing needs or wants? Drama?

A moment, I'll just yeet myself...
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    Fantmx wrote: »

I like to think that when he's making these posts, that it means he's not outside pulling the heads off small animals or something. Got to channel that rage somewhere.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 2023
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Fantmx wrote: »

I like to think that when he's making these posts, that it means he's not outside pulling the heads off small animals or something. Got to channel that rage somewhere.

-_-

You paint fairly disturbing images for all the display of polite behaviour with which you speak in these forums.
    Is this the "civil" side that I should aspire to?
    Or was it an attempt at what passes as a joke in the internet?
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2023
    Chances are 99% of the hardcore players will miss out on mayor gameplay too. That's just to be expected with this system. Lowering the number of nodes, as they did, made it more true. It was probably the right decision to lower the numbers, but mayor gameplay is only going to be relevant for around 0.1-0.5% of the player base, depending on server populations

As for the pulling heads off small animals comment from Davey, well, you come across as very angry and sometimes even toxic in some of your posts George. Maybe it's unintentional and maybe you aren't even aware of this? I don't think you are pulling heads off small animals or anything like that, just to be clear, but you are often very abrasive when you post.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    You paint fairly disturbing images for all the display of polite behaviour with which you speak in these forums.

It comes across as quite English to me.

Not making any comment as to whether that is a good or a bad thing, just an observation.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Nerror wrote: »
    Chances are 99% of the hardcore players will miss out on mayor gameplay too. That's just to be expected with this system. Lowering the number of nodes, as they did, made it more true. It was probably the right decision to lower the numbers, but mayor gameplay is only going to be relevant for around 0.1-0.5% of the player base, depending on server populations

As for the pulling heads off small animals comment from Davey, well, you come across as very angry and sometimes even toxic in some of your posts George. Maybe it's unintentional and maybe you aren't even aware of this? I don't think you are pulling heads off small animals or anything like that, just to be clear, but you are often very abrasive when you post.

I find it funny that I am considered the toxic one, yet I am on the receiving end of insults, such as being depicted as someone that would do such things, or being labelled as racist etc etc.

99% of the hardcore players will miss out on the mayoral gameplay.
    Only 1% will make the mistake to complain about the reality of it.
    The casual/solo/completionist crowd on the other hand....
    At any rate this topic isnt serious and it's def not worthy of being called such an animal torturer
  • Options
    getting constantly harassed to put this building or that building or having to be online all the time / people crying about some other mayor feature. yea ill pass and play / enjoy the game. if i wanted to play city builder / town management i would go play some simulator game
  • Options
    This thread is clearly meant to be ironic; @George_Black is pointing out that someone will eventually make this nonsense complaint.

Obviously, if someone doesn't have the time and/or inclination to be in a community-lead position such as guild-leader or mayor, then they shouldn't be complaining about not having access to that position's tools/menus/features.

Just pointing this out, because there's always someone on the forums from a culture/country that doesn't understand sarcasm and/or irony. In the same way, the OP is just pointing out that there's always someone who will make a complaint about not having access/opportunity to have control of community-leadership tools and options, when they are a solo/casual player.

"No - I'll NEVER join a guild! Also, it is *so* unfair that I'll never have access to a guild leader's tools/features...."

• Options
    Hm… mayors seem like an unpaid director level role. More power to folks that want to be a mayor. Sounds like all downside to me.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    ClintHardwoodClintHardwood Member
    edited September 2023
    Mayor gameplay is for people without jobs who want to engage in political drama all day. Not for me. I rather just gather loot and riches, that's my thing.
  • Options
    Just pointing this out, because there's always someone on the forums from a culture/country that doesn't understand sarcasm and/or irony. In the same way, the OP is just pointing out that there's always someone who will make a complaint about not having access/opportunity to have control of community-leadership tools and options, when they are a solo/casual player.

Wait a minute... Are you suggesting George is capable of expressing sarcasm and/or irony?

I always thought it was some form of the stereotypical misrepresentation of Tourette syndrome.

Joking aside, there's always something refreshing about George's bluntness.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I always though that /sarcasm was the ez mode of the forum pvp, but in revelation of what some "mature" posters hide inside their brains for their fellow human beings, just because of a different gaming mentality, I might have to hold /sarc up as a tower shield.

It's so ez to think the worst of others when it makes you feel better about yourself, and with how much people have become disincentivized to cruelty and horor, due to the constant memeing for a cheap laugh, some can sink that low as to label someone like that.

The amount of mental gymnastics I am doing instead of telling people off with some simple swear words is turning me to a snowflake, but I dont want to risk a ban so I will pay the cost.
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »

george is an angry man. i mean look, he plays a gladiator. he is always dashing towards people and slashing them 3 times.
  • Options
    This thread is clearly meant to be ironic; George_Black is pointing out that someone will eventually make this nonsense complaint.
    The thing with complaints - when you are developing a product or selling a product you developed - is that you ignore 99% of them.

Businesses like to say that feedback is always valued, but the truth is that it isn't. When a business recieves feedback, they - without fail - assess it to consider whether they think it is valid or not. If they don't think it's valid, they ignore it.

So sure, people absolutely will complain about not having access to mayor based gameplay.

So what?

The fact that those complaints will exist doesn't mean anything. If Intrepid intended mayor based gameplay to only be applicable to a small number of players, those complaints will just be ignored, as they should be.

This also is why I laugh at people that blame game testers or what ever for the state of games. If a tester complains about something, it means nothing at all unless the developer agrees with those complaints.
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Who would want an AFK mayor anyway? I want the mayor of whatever node I choose to call home to be on 12+ hours a day so we pump out the upgrades asap
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Hm… mayors seem like an unpaid director level role. More power to folks that want to be a mayor. Sounds like all downside to me.
    Mayors kinda get paid with special armor and special mounts, etc.
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dygz wrote: »

A huge benefit for the guild as well. Having the ability to choose what buildings get built, knowing when their getting built so guild members can stock up ahead of time. Buy out all the iron ingots on the market just before upgrading the blacksmith only to resell at a higher price or use for crafting.

A well run guild will 100% be able to profit from one of their members becoming mayor.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »

Here is a like Dygz. You kept it short and to the point.
  • Options
    seems like a Guild leader-type position and a lot of those can be hard to fill given the time commitments and turnover after the novelty wears off
  • Options
    Once the game is released and the mayoral system is finished and documented for people to see on Twitch and YT, I think most people will shut up about it. I know Steven was joking when he said this but when someone from stream asked if the Mayor will get a special home in the node, he replied yes, the drafting table in the town hall where they'll be slaving away day and night. Obviously, this was a bit of humor, but humor like that usually comes from a place of unexpressed truth. I think Steven really wants (as feasibly as possible for a video game) for being mayor to require a decent amount of free time and care for the development of a community. This isn't a mobile game built into AoC, it sounds like some pretty nitty gritty stuff that can (or at least should imo) have fairly significant consequences.

Who do we know in the video game community who already possess that kind of free time, ability to build and lead a large community of people, and in some cases have experience managing their own businesses or social logistics related to their communities? Content creators and guild leaders. Does this mean all of them will be brilliant mayors? Unfortunately, no, and I'm sure some people who are really passionate about those things will miss out on the opportunity because they don't have enough free time to build a community and campaign, but if you don't have that, what makes you think you'll have enough free time to be a good mayor?

Once the reality of the station is made plain to people through example, I think most will turn their nose at the thought of being mayor and will actually enjoy their time doing other things and simply getting caught up in the gossip and drama around current mayors or future candidates, just like what happens with real world politics.
  • Options

NGL unless your actually passionate (and smart) about it being a mayor will NOT be fun for you
    Referral Code : 8GTVW547SYDTHE6Nashesofcreation.com/r/8GTVW547SYDTHE6N
  • Options

NGL unless your actually passionate (and smart) about it being a mayor will NOT be fun for you

Personally I have no interest in doing paperwork ingame, but due to the recent mmos people have become conditioned to ticking of journals, and due to how easy it is to complete everything these recent mmos offer as gameplay (main reason being that they are designed for solo players to interact with NPCs, while the real players are distant backgrounds -like npcs) some people will demand to experience mayorships, just like they demand flying mounts and FHs.

Being popular is the drive, it's easily understood, but who on earth would rather spend time enacting policies than playing the game is beyond me.
    I would only partake in the military electrions, but not as the candidate.
  • Options
    Being popular is the drive, it's easily understood, but who on earth would rather spend time enacting policies than playing the game is beyond me.
    I plan on doing this, if divine nodes can be even somewhat soloable through hardcore quest grind :)
  • Options
    PercimesPercimes Member
    edited September 2023

I don't expect the mayor's tasks to be very time consuming, from what we saw in the last dev update they seemed simple enough to enact. If the doing is not time consuming, all the PR leading to decide what needs to be done might be though, at least if the mayor wants to truly serve/implement the will of the citizens. That part of the job will probably grow with the stage of the node, the more people there are, the more time it will take to evaluate the general vibe and direction people want and balance the conflicting interests.

Tyrants doing only what they want will probably struggle once they can't rely only on the support of a small group of friends. Same with guilds which don't factor in the expectations of the whole citizenry, they'll stunt the growth of their node if they're too centred on their desires.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I'm 200% a soloplayer. I'm fine with not being a mayor. I don't want that responsibility :) Being a mayor in this game will literally be a fulltime job, except you're not getting a paycheck. SO I'M GOOD!!!
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Percimes clicking the necessary decision buttons won't be particularly time consuming as a mayor. True that.

But being a GOOD mayor will be time consuming indeed. Getting to know the citizens and listening to them, their concerns, desires, plans, problems, issues all take time. Then designing your decisions to address what the citizens need and want will take thought.

Dealing diplomatically with other nodes will take time. Dealing with the guilds who live in your node, and the ones which hunt in your node, will take time. Dealing with the node's thieves guild, religious authorities, merchants, and other social organizations will all take time.

Being a GOOD mayor will not be an easy task nor will it be a task that is fun, except for a few. Which makes me wonder if the kind of person attracted to be the mayor of a military node will tend to be worst than the others, thoughts?
  • Options
    There are so many factors that will come into play that I don't think we can make any general assumptions on how easy it will be for the few masochists signing on for a mayor role.

I don't think the type of node will change much as far as the mayor is concerned. Well, once in power that is. Node type being fixed to the location, I think once a node evolves enough to require a mayor, the people interested in the role will put up with anything that must be done to get in the leadership position. My guess is that node type will matter more in the mind of the citizens than for the people drawn to the prestigious seat in the city hall. I don't want to downplay the importance of role playing, but I'm too delusion by now to overestimate it either.

An interesting political dynamic to observe will be when a siege is successful and a node is destroyed. Will the former mayor try to run in one of the neighbouring node? Is there a difference if the destroyed node was a vassal or the dominant one? I think it might feel as if someone had shuffled the deck of card and a new round was about to begin.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    tautau wrote: »
    @Percimes clicking the necessary decision buttons won't be particularly time consuming as a mayor. True that.

But being a GOOD mayor will be time consuming indeed. Getting to know the citizens and listening to them, their concerns, desires, plans, problems, issues all take time. Then designing your decisions to address what the citizens need and want will take thought.
    Yeah, but you won't need to do all of that.

Decisions as a mayor in Ashes will be limited to "should we build building "A" or building "B". There won't be any scope to try and find compromise between the two like there is in real world government.

You won't be designing your decisions, you will be picking from a small list of pre-designated options.