Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Race Lifespan

Had trouble finding an answer(if there is one) regarding the lifespan of each race for lore/rp purpose. Has anything been said or is that just not something which has been touched upon

Comments

• Options
    Those races in front of my bow have a shorter lifespan than those behind me. 😉
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I mean... you shoot like a Stormtrooper, so...
  • Options
    I’m a work in progress, stop preventing me from being my best self.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    emotional damage
  • Options
    We have yet to receive the lore on racial age-expectations.

Many to-be biographies eagerly await the release of such numbers.

• Options
    Will we see characters wearing glasses when reading books?
  • Options
    Lemonsquid wrote: »
    Had trouble finding an answer(if there is one) regarding the lifespan of each race for lore/rp purpose. Has anything been said or is that just not something which has been touched upon

I'm guessing that we don't actually have a lifespan, or we'd have to continually create new characters once our originals died of old age. Just imagine that we live for billions of years without aging through adulthood.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    daveywavey wrote: »
    I'm guessing that we don't actually have a lifespan, or we'd have to continually create new characters once our originals died of old age. Just imagine that we live for billions of years without aging through adulthood.

I think this was more a question in terms of roleplay/world lore and not system related. Like humans live to be 80 while elves live to be 500. It doesn't impact gameplay, but if you're writing a character/story it's a nice piece of information to know
  • Options
    Jamation wrote: »

I think this was more a question in terms of roleplay/world lore and not system related. Like humans live to be 80 while elves live to be 500. It doesn't impact gameplay, but if you're writing a character/story it's a nice piece of information to know

Yeah, I get that, but once they give any numbers like that, it opens them up to the nitpickers who'll then spam them with the usual "You said this, BUT......" shite. I just don't see that it's worth it to Intrepid to give us anything like that.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Jamation wrote: »
    I'm not sure this matters much in a High Fantasy setting. Especially not when we are all coming from Sanctus - which is a no magic world.
    Most likely, everyone from Sanctus has a natural lifespan close to 70 years.

The Character Creator should allow us to create characters with appearances from young adults to elderly.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    edited September 2023
    bexjw764ipqt.png
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It has been talked about a little in the past (a few years ago) with some of the stories we have gotten.
    Lore

We know elves live long.

I can't find the source but I believe we have heard that tulnar have shorter lifespans than the other races.
  • Options
    Well, they used to on Verra.
    I think we don't know that held true on Sanctus, without magic.
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dygz wrote: »
    I'm not sure this matters much in a High Fantasy setting. Especially not when we are all coming from Sanctus - which is a no magic world.
    Most likely, everyone from Sanctus has a natural lifespan close to 70 years.

The Character Creator should allow us to create characters with appearances from young adults to elderly.

I mean, even if everyone's lifespan was 70 that would still be relevant to someone wanting to write a fanfic or roleplay, regardless if it's High Fantasy setting or not.

Yeah, I get that, but once they give any numbers like that, it opens them up to the nitpickers who'll then spam them with the usual "You said this, BUT......" shite. I just don't see that it's worth it to Intrepid to give us anything like that.

I agree there's not really a reason to release that information now since it's lore/world building related. I also can see there being people who can't separate lore from gameplay mechanics and posting all about it on the forums too. Was just expanding on your original point since you mentioned "continually create new characters" but that would be related to the gameplay of AoC, rather than outside the game storytelling.