Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why “Mayor” and not “Government?”

RebutkoRebutko Member
edited September 2023 in General Discussion
I’m not really sure there’s an answer here but why did the devs choose to make the governing structure so limited by choosing to go with a single “major” instead of a cabinet of individuals to make different decisions in the community?

Comments

• Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if a mayor can select people to help with things, which then would be a group of people running things..

Also it doesn't need to be overly complex, and the mayor should 100% be able to be a dictator as much as they want without anyone to push back, besides the consequences of their own actions with citizens.
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Realistically there's most likely going to be a "group" behind the decision making of the mayor anyways. Divine and Military nodes have a higher chance, in my opinion, of the random solo player gaining mayor status.
    But otherwise mayor's will probably be a part of a guild or group that can supply them with funding or votes anyways.
    Having the decision making be limited to a single person just helps expedite in-game actions.
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Even an Emperor answers to someone friendo.
  • Options
    Just some basics for context:
    If this graphic is anything to go by there will be
    - 5 Metropoli
    - 10 Cities
    - 10 Towns
    - 20 Villages
    - 45 camps and crossroads
    while the only ones relevant for the mayoral system are Villages and up.
    That leaves us with 45 Nodes that have citizens and a government system.

As part of the overall medieval leaning fantasy world of TTRPGs, mayors are often centers of power derived from smaller community heads like chieftains or villiage reeve/elder in which it is helpful to have a single figure govern a smaller group of people and because having a single person to approach makes quest design easier. Current example of that can be found in Baldurs Gate 3 where the Archduke of the City basically reigns supreme as soon as he is officially inaugurated.

From a perspective of effectiveness a council would also complicate things. e.g. ratifying the buying orders, mayoral commissions or caravans would slow down the process of doing so and with legislative terms being quite short compared to real life, I suspect to keep the speed of possible change high, it was concluded that going with a small in number political power center would be for the best.

Now with that being said: I think there is a point to be made that maybe a bit more variety would be nice, but maybe this is either realized in a different system yet to be shown (e.g. patron guilds) or the system is still subject to more fundamental change even during A2.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    a camel is a horse by committee....
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I mean... Towns and Cities typically have only one Mayor, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNxy9Xsx_Dc&amp;t=4848s
    mark 1:20:48
  • Options
    Aye - would wonder if @Dygz and the podcast have their own notes on the updates, or if he just has impeccable memory....

But YES - there will be other "government positions" available, as Steven goes over, at that point in the video. Yours truly will play Cleric/Cleric AND be heavy into the Religion part of the game; Something like the High Priest of your local temple is a really cool side-way of entering into the local Node government.

Am eager to find out more about things (that aren't already on the wiki) SS mentioned like the "Chief Bounty Hunter", and the GL of the "Patron Guilds". Both intrigue the imagination!

• Options
    I would have to imagine the government will be expanded. If not in the alpha,eventually. How granular they want to get is anybodies best guess. They could do appointed cabinets,legislative bodies,military commands...basically everything. I would personally like to see all of the above and I would like to see the election process be based on the position itself. Maybe a group of competent PVPers aren't quite good enough to run a military metropolis but they would have a secure position in the presumably less competitive divine node who needs muscle.
  • Options
    Raven016Raven016 Member
    edited September 2023
    Dygz wrote: »
    I mean... Towns and Cities typically have only one Mayor, but...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=KNxy9Xsx_Dc&t=4848s
    mark 1:20:48
    Steven's voice was much healthier 4 years ago.
    Rhythmz wrote: »
    I would have to imagine the government will be expanded. If not in the alpha,eventually. How granular they want to get is anybodies best guess. They could do appointed cabinets,legislative bodies,military commands...basically everything. I would personally like to see all of the above and I would like to see the election process be based on the position itself. Maybe a group of competent PVPers aren't quite good enough to run a military metropolis but they would have a secure position in the presumably less competitive divine node who needs muscle.

The map feels to small and crowded imo to have multiple players doing politics in each node.

I was trying to figure out the player density on the map.
    Wiki says travel time:
    - from the center of a node to the center of its direct neighbor is 5 minutes (3.5 minutes mounted)
    - from the northernmost to southernmost points of a continent is 75 minutes (50 minutes mounted)
    Everybody will have mounts.
    So if you want to explore, you will see cities everywhere. I cannot imagine players willing to stay confined in a 3.5 minute radius around their node and do what their mayor wants, for the greater benefit of the metropolis nation. And be part of governments and do elections...
    Steven said he made the ocean larger to reduce player density:

"The purpose of it becoming bigger is as I said to make sure that density isn't overwhelming: that it isn't everywhere I look there is immediately something. I have no opportunity to see areas of the world that are expansive and are just kind of wanderlust adventure feeling. Everything was sitting on top of you, POIs and nodes and houses and everything. It was like an urban area everywhere."

Maybe he increased the land area too. And reduced the number of nodes.
    But still it will feel like an urban area.

Would make more sense to have a mayor and government with fewer nodes, like 20 instead of 85 and much more isolated.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 2023
    1 "leader", 1 flying mount, 1 glory
  • Options
    found this video lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEVU8EZ6QaU&amp;ab_channel=Mons

anyways, 5 mins running is kinda like going from windsward to the purple faction quest spot to the north. but running speed isnt a good indication of radius or size or amount of content because characters do not run at the same speed in every game...if characters in ashes run at the same speed as characters in nw, every node should be about the size of windsward

also, remember you have content underground (the underrealm, dungeons), and content above the ground (towers, dungeons).

also, this is the map at launch. im sure new areas will be added eventually.
  • Options
    It would likely be more complicated in selecting your leaders as opposed to selecting one person. Also if there was a need for a Government.... would that not just be the leading guild of the node anyways? If they are not going to do the mayor system then it would just be the top guild within the node. Realistically the top guilds will likely get their GM put into power as the GM anyways, dependent on the node type obviously.
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    found this video lol

anyways, 5 mins running is kinda like going from windsward to the purple faction quest spot to the north. but running speed isnt a good indication of radius or size or amount of content because characters do not run at the same speed in every game...if characters in ashes run at the same speed as characters in nw, every node should be about the size of windsward

also, remember you have content underground (the underrealm, dungeons), and content above the ground (towers, dungeons).

Thanks for the video! :smile:
    The 5 minute is from center to center without mount. With mount is 3.5 min.
    From edge to edge is less.

It occurred to me that maybe the world might not feel so crowded if level 1 and 2 nodes are tiny and hard to notice. Will be at least 20 such nodes, maybe more if there are frequent node sieges and no metros.

But I found an interesting detail:

Players will be able to identify the type of a node at its first stage of development (Expedition) based on its NPC population.[13]

Node type. -- NPCs. -- Currency.
    Divine nodes -- Priests -- Favor
    Economic nodes -- Merchants -- no currency defined
    Military nodes -- Guards -- Honor
    Scientific nodes -- Scholars -- no currency defined

So only Military nodes will have guards?
    Players may kill each-other in Divine, Economic and Scientific nodes without fear of guards?

Also, do we know if caravans move slower than a mounted player? Or maybe even slower than a non-mounted player?
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Caravan speed is influenced by terrain (including road quality) and by components used to build the caravan (axels, wheels, animals pulling, etc. https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Caravans

NPC guards in nodes will kill corrupted players on sight, regardless of node type. https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Nodes (near the end)
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited September 2023
    Raven016 wrote: »
    found this video lol

It occurred to me that maybe the world might not feel so crowded if level 1 and 2 nodes are tiny and hard to notice. Will be at least 20 such nodes, maybe more if there are frequent node sieges and no metros.

Players will be able to identify the type of a node at its first stage of development (Expedition) based on its NPC population.[13]

Players may kill each-other in Divine, Economic and Scientific nodes without fear of guards?

Also, do we know if caravans move slower than a mounted player? Or maybe even slower than a non-mounted player?

no no, those are the vendors xD

the guards are just for the name for the reputation vendor in that type of node, not the regular guards that would fight that should be in every node.

they should probably be renamed to lieutenants or something to avoid confusion
  • Options
    found this video lol

no no, those are the vendors xD

the guards are just for the name for the reputation vendor in that type of node, not the regular guards that would fight that should be in every node.

they should probably be renamed to lieutenants or something to avoid confusion

Ok. I didn't expected this :smiley:
    So it probably means that even level 1 nodes, no matter of type, will have some NPCs which protect the players nearby.
    And players who want to discard gathered resources, will seek out the closest node, which might be quite close, given that travel time is only 3.5 min away.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2023
    Steven's voice was much healthier 4 years ago.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCr9yh2Y97I&amp;t=1927s
    Ashes of Creation Livestream, 24 May 2017
    mark 32:12

Steven's voice was much healthier???!!!??
  • Options
    Yes, sounds younger and less stressed.