Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Unreal 5.3 question

NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited September 2023 in General Discussion
I watched this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POwTaVZ_CA0

But it leaves me with some questions. For example, nanite for landscapes, can they easily convert the existing landscapes in Ashes to use nanite? Or is it one of those labour intensive tasks if they want to use it? I am hoping some of you have experience with this. :smile:

Comments

• Options
    BotagarBotagar Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2023
    Upgrading to 5.3 makes sense to me (from my outsider perspective).
    Nanite now being completely implemented across static meshes, foliage and landscapes rounds out pretty much all the places you'd want to have high fidelity meshes.
    Hopefully the inhouse custom tools are built upon the standard engine tooling and can just pass through the Nanite flags like shown in that vid.

Also the volumetric effects uplift is very promising for spells and environments.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    When do you think Ashes will release?
    Ashes could be UE6+ by then.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dygz wrote: »
    When do you think Ashes will release?
    Ashes could be UE6+ by then.

it took 5 years to go from UE3 to UE4 - and 8 years to go from UE4 to UE5,

so unless you think Ashes will release by +2030 theres no way we'd get to UE6 ahah
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2023
    This comes up every single time Unreal farts out a version number. So much so they have had to address it. Like most things the wiki has an answer. It may not be the answer you want, but it is an answer.

Q: What is your stance in regards to focusing on delivering an MVP versus continuously upgrading your tools and engine to deliver a better product with new tech, even if that results in delays or additional years of development like UE 5.2, maybe 5.3 etc?

A: Our technical teams, especially our network team, our ICS teams, our gameplay engineering teams, they convene and weigh when our next update should be on the engine side: What new technologies might bring benefit overall. My perspective on how we balance the need for integration of new technology versus the responsibility we have in a timely manner to provide testing sessions that get us closer to the launch date; that's a delicate balance. I would say generally our disposition is not to incorporate new technologies that yield some significant amount of delay on the development side. We very much take the perspective that we're capable of adjusting and/or integrating those new technologies post-milestone, post-launch if necessary. At some point we'll stop updating the Unreal Engine in development until launch. That point hasn't come yet, but of course the larger the project grows and on the more custom we make the engine for our back-end needs; and for whatever else merge conflicts can occur- those mergers can become big and painful; and the update process gets more painful. So to answer your question shortly, we have a team that evaluates what direction we need to take there; and at the top of my mind is always, let's not incorporate delays as a result of leveraging new technologies.[22] – Steven Sharif

Discord update since post.
    c9cp3kgonq7s.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    Right, Intrepid's stance is well known by now. My question was more about the technical side of things. I was hoping someone here had actual experience or knowledge :smile:
  • Options
    Raven016Raven016 Member
    edited September 2023
    Nobody knows :)
    I tried to see if anyone is doing such conversion. I found that people are doing it
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/nanite-conversion/1203090
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/nanite-nightmare/1204503 (same user but in the nightmare stage :) )
    I don't understand if are small easy to fix problems or which require much work.
    In this one
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/activating-nanite-destroys-meshes/522994
    we see that it all starts by checking a checkbox.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Liniker wrote: »

so unless you think Ashes will release by +2030 theres no way we'd get to UE6
    I think 2030 is a valid expectation or Ashes release.
    Especially if they keep upgrading to the newest version of UE and also take time to adjust based on tester feedback.
    I expect it will be almost 3 years from Alpha 1 to Alpha 2.
    I would not be surprised to eventually hear a Steven hype of "Before 2030".
    How long has it taken to get a Nodes 3?? How many years has it taken just to release the Religious Node Type and Military Node Type articles for the Know Your Nodes Series?
  • Options

Especially if they keep upgrading to the newest version of UE and also take time to adjust based on tester feedback.
    How long has it taken to get a Nodes 3?? How many years has it taken just to release the Religious Node Type and Military Node Type articles for the Know Your Nodes Series?

so if alpha 2 isnt years away..and it will persist until launch, and lets say a2 is in 2025, will they really have an a2 that lasts for 5 years? XDDD really?

btw u can still make art and do lots of things even if you are upgrading your tools...you gonna get a few delays here and there, sure, but that doesnt mean everybody completely stops working for months until the tools are upgraded
  • Options
    I don't see a 2030 release, that has to be a troll post.

The crux of the argument is they don't have anything developed based on the intentions of the game. Yet we know in alpha 2 the only node level they won't have is the final one. And alpha 2 isn't years away as they ramp up for it.

Bias in this point feels like bias against the game and a dislike assuming the worse and feeling as if the messaging the dev's said is not true in their current progression.

This point would be better if alpha 2 was released and they could point out all the features that are not finished and say why it will take them 6 more years to finish the game....
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »

so if alpha 2 isnt years away..and it will persist until launch, and lets say a2 is in 2025, will they really have an a2 that lasts for 5 years? XDDD really?
    Normally I would also assume that it makes no sense to stay in alpha 2 more than 2 years because the costs or running the server and no subscription.
    But... alpha 2 players payed quite a lot to get access and are the type of players who like to buy monthly expensive cosmetics, which cost more than the monthly subscription.
    There are more cases:
    1) if the vast majority of alpha 2 players stop playing -> Steven will have to improve the game -> more development time
    2) if the vast majority of alpha 2 players keep playing -> costs are covered and possibly can be more profitable because we will be able to see and enjoy the cosmetics right away
    Those who don't want to pay for Alpha 2 access are less likely to buy cosmetics. They will mostly pay only for the monthly subscription. How many PvX players could be? In any case, Alpha 2 must reach in the end a very good state to generate hype and only after that is worth releasing the game.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

btw u can still make art and do lots of things even if you are upgrading your tools...you gonna get a few delays here and there, sure, but that doesnt mean everybody completely stops working for months until the tools are upgraded
    I mean... "release will be before 2020".
    I don't expect A2 to last 5 years. I'm also factoring in Beta 1 and Beta 2 time.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

It'd certainly be interesting if they beat out Baldur's Gate on that, though the two things aren't exactly the same.

@Nerror - I'm poking the people to poke the people, might have something solid-ish in the 'answer' department by tomorrow, might not.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Azherae wrote: »

It'd certainly be interesting if they beat out Baldur's Gate on that, though the two things aren't exactly the same.

@Nerror - I'm poking the people to poke the people, might have something solid-ish in the 'answer' department by tomorrow, might not.

Cool, thanks :smile:
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited September 2023

I mean... "release will be before 2020".
    I don't expect A2 to last 5 years. I'm also factoring in Beta 1 and Beta 2 time.

betas will be really short compared to alpha
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    This could perhaps be a decent question for the Q&A ;)

I can't personally speak on the technical side of the transition. However, I assume there are resources out there for a better understanding of Unreal Engine! :)
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nerror wrote: »

Which reminds me.

She has no clue, and the ones she knows has no clue either.

This is partially related to the way that landscaping is built from the ground for certain games, because it involves some stuff that you might be more familiar with, basically coordinate spawned... well, think MineCraft.

So, no clear answers but guessing says strong yes, they can, based on what's been shown recently.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Vaknar wrote: »
    This could perhaps be a decent question for the Q&A ;)

I can't personally speak on the technical side of the transition. However, I assume there are resources out there for a better understanding of Unreal Engine! :)

vaknar pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee i need these 2 questions answered by steven. ive been suffering for years not knowing.

will buffs in aoc will be as important as buff in l2, or just a nice add on but not required?

and will one bard without changing subs / augments be able to buff everybody no matter their build or damage type, or will you need more than one bard n party to keep everyone buffed?
  • Options
    What would happen if nobody would ask anything? :)
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Oooh and follow-up question.

Does nanite affect glitching through terrain? Accidentally or on purpose.

Nerror wrote: »

Which reminds me.

She has no clue, and the ones she knows has no clue either.

This is partially related to the way that landscaping is built from the ground for certain games, because it involves some stuff that you might be more familiar with, basically coordinate spawned... well, think MineCraft.

So, no clear answers but guessing says strong yes, they can, based on what's been shown recently.

Thank you for asking :smile:
  • Options
    They will definitely update to 5.3 to take full advantage of nanite as well as the new realistic fog amongst other things.

Whether the update will happen before A2 is live or not is questionable, as on one hand having A2 out and then updating the engine would probably be a better call from a testing pov.
    787m8dm96z5g.gif