Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Baseline boss difficulty vs reward

morphwastakenmorphwastaken Member
edited September 2023 in General Discussion
It's counter-intuitive, but makes perfect sense in context of AoC.

Most rewarding world bosses can be mechanically most simple, since large portion of the challenge will come from other players. Those bosses just need to feel epic with huge AOEs.

It also works the other way. Most complex bosses can be given the least reward. This will make them least contested - perfect for those who primarily seek a great PvE experience.

This provides a nice content gradient form primarily PvE to primarily PvP, while being PvX all the way through.

Makes sense thematically as well - if there is 200 players around a huge dragon in the field - it's just going to breath fire at 50 of them, not really do some intricate mechanic. While some dungeon dwelling mystery monster can be all kinds of unexpected and complex.

Food for thought.

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm fine with it.

If they wanna do a little better they can focus it more too like certain other games.

Content A rewards make you better at things similar to Content A, so there's a progression. Content B is the same.

Give 'PvP-heavy' rewards for fighting around bosses, and 'PvE-heavy' rewards for fighting complex deep dungeon or semi-instanced stuff.

Both gear types are still useful in either content type, but 'Elemental Defense' is more likely to be a strongly desired thing for PvE focuses than for PvP ones, and so on. So 'rewarding' is 'relative to whatever you enjoy that brought you to the point of engaging with the content to begin with'.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    It's counter-intuitive, but makes perfect sense in context of AoC.

Most rewarding world bosses can be mechanically most simple, since large portion of the challenge will come from other players. Those bosses just need to feel epic with huge AOEs.

It also works the other way. Most complex bosses can be given the least reward. This will make them least contested - perfect for those who primarily seek a great PvE experience.

This provides a nice content gradient form primarily PvE to primarily PvP, while being PvX all the way through.

Makes sense thematically as well - if there is 200 players around a huge dragon in the field - it's just going to breath fire at 50 of them, not really do some intricate mechanic. While some dungeon dwelling mystery monster can be all kinds of unexpected and complex.

Food for thought.

why would the pvers kill the hard boss with no rewards? they could just kill bosses with rewards. you know, pvpers pvp for fun, no reward needed. pvers dont pve for fun, they need a reward or they are always complaining that doing this is a waste of time blah blah blah etc.

also, it takes away from the game. why put a boss that no one wants when you could put a boss that everyone wants, and make it so the audience who isnt the target audience does it?

also, that wont attract pvers either since they will still have to endure months of pvp anyways. unless they just log in, do the boss that no one wants and log off right there lol and you can do it since you start the game
  • Options
    TaerrikTaerrik Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Depraved wrote: »

why would the pvers kill the hard boss with no rewards? they could just kill bosses with rewards. you know, pvpers pvp for fun, no reward needed. pvers dont pve for fun, they need a reward or they are always complaining that doing this is a waste of time blah blah blah etc.

I could point you at FF14 ultimate difficulty, which gives only a title and a glamour (basically a transmog if you dont know what glam is), and you need best in slot gear already to even attempt to challenge it.

And a nice chunk of the pve playerbase do it anyway, despite it not giving better gear.

-casuals- are the ones that feel like they need a reward for doing something to be worthwhile, and this is true whether the content is pve or pvp related.

As for why put a boss that -no one wants-

Well, if anything from the dozens of forum topics on related subjects should tell us. There is a whole spectrum of players, and there is no one size fits all solution, this is why games have all sorts of different bosses in them.

Really easy ones with low rewards.
    Moderately challenging ones where the bulk of rewards go since almost everyone will participate in this content.
    Mega challenging ones that only a small portion of players spend their time.

And it should be no surprise that developers spend the majority of their time and energy in the middle ground, and only occasionally touch the extreme ends of the spectrum of interests.

I just hope that the game isnt brain numbingly simple in the pve encounters "just because people are scared of getting ganked". I get people are scared of pvp, but its part of the game and it adds excitement.

• Options
    I want them to do better :) Make the real pvx game, where abilities account for the possibility of pvp involvement in pve, so you can manipulate bosses/mobs (to a point) in such a way where the newcomers would have a harder way of messing up your farm.

Steven kiiiinda addressed this in the latest interview, but it was still just usual "well, your tank could run towards the enemies and any boss aoe would hit them as well". I want more and better mechanics than that.
  • Options
    Taerrik wrote: »

I could point you at FF14 ultimate difficulty, which gives only a title and a glamour (basically a transmog if you dont know what glam is), and you need best in slot gear already to even attempt to challenge it.

And a nice chunk of the pve playerbase do it anyway, despite it not giving better gear.

-casuals- are the ones that feel like they need a reward for doing something to be worthwhile, and this is true whether the content is pve or pvp related.

As for why put a boss that -no one wants-

Well, if anything from the dozens of forum topics on related subjects should tell us. There is a whole spectrum of players, and there is no one size fits all solution, this is why games have all sorts of different bosses in them.

Really easy ones with low rewards.
    Moderately challenging ones where the bulk of rewards go since almost everyone will participate in this content.
    Mega challenging ones that only a small portion of players spend their time.

And it should be no surprise that developers spend the majority of their time and energy in the middle ground, and only occasionally touch the extreme ends of the spectrum of interests.

I just hope that the game isnt brain numbingly simple in the pve encounters "just because people are scared of getting ganked". I get people are scared of pvp, but its part of the game and it adds excitement.

it still gives a unique reward. op said a boss that gives little reward. to my understanding, he meant a reward of little to no value, not something unique like a title and a transmog...

now, you said you need bis gear to do it. imagine you do that on ashes for the pve players. how long will it take them to get bis gear? do you think they will endure months and months and months of getting trashed in pvp just so they can get bis gear to do a boss? the suggestion is pointless.

if they have to pvp to get the gear to do the boss, they wont play. so the solution (to a problem that doesnt exist) would be to add a complete progression path from level 1 to level 50 with bis gear that avoids pvp, avoids competing for resources, etc. and this is not this type of game. so if you add that, it takes away from the game.
  • Options
    Azherae wrote: »
    I'm fine with it.

If they wanna do a little better they can focus it more too like certain other games.

Content A rewards make you better at things similar to Content A, so there's a progression. Content B is the same.

Give 'PvP-heavy' rewards for fighting around bosses, and 'PvE-heavy' rewards for fighting complex deep dungeon or semi-instanced stuff.

Both gear types are still useful in either content type, but 'Elemental Defense' is more likely to be a strongly desired thing for PvE focuses than for PvP ones, and so on. So 'rewarding' is 'relative to whatever you enjoy that brought you to the point of engaging with the content to begin with'.

no. read above. and you would be splitting content and gear, so no
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    why would the pvers kill the hard boss with no rewards
    Because they find PvE fun? It's also base difficulty, open world boss would be much harder to actually get the loot from due to PvP.
    they could just kill bosses with rewards
    Then PvP focused players will fight them.
    pvpers pvp for fun, no reward needed. pvers dont pve for fun, they need a reward or they are always complaining that doing this is a waste of time blah blah blah etc.
    Neither is true, especially in PvX game. This is how foolish PvPers describe PvEers and vice versa. Both do it for fun and reward, at varying degree, based on a situation.
    also, it takes away from the game. why put a boss that no one wants when you could put a boss that everyone wants, and make it so the audience who isnt the target audience does it.
    All bosses would be desired, depending on what player is looking for. Idk if you did not read, but each audience would get what they want. PvPers less PvE, and PvEers less PvP.
    also, that wont attract pvers either since they will still have to endure months of pvp anyways.
    This does not need a level requirement.
  • Options
    why would the pvers kill the hard boss with no rewards
    Because they find PvE fun? It's also base difficulty, open world boss will be much harder to actually get the loot from due to PvP.
    they could just kill bosses with rewards
    Then PvP focused players will fight them.
    pvpers pvp for fun, no reward needed. pvers dont pve for fun, they need a reward or they are always complaining that doing this is a waste of time blah blah blah etc.
    Neither is true, especially in PvX game. This is how foolish PvPers describe PvEers and vice versa. Both do it for fun and reward, at varying degree, based on a situation.
    also, it takes away from the game. why put a boss that no one wants when you could put a boss that everyone wants, and make it so the audience who isnt the target audience does it.
    All bosses would be desired, depending on what player is looking for. Idk if you did not read, but each audience would get what they want. PvPers less PvE, and PvEers less PvP.
    also, that wont attract pvers either since they will still have to endure months of pvp anyways.
    This does not need a level requirement.

then you are going in the opposite direction of the current design of aoc. read my post above.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    I want them to do better :) Make the real pvx game, where abilities account for the possibility of pvp involvement in pve, so you can manipulate bosses/mobs (to a point) in such a way where the newcomers would have a harder way of messing up your farm.

Steven kiiiinda addressed this in the latest interview, but it was still just usual "well, your tank could run towards the enemies and any boss aoe would hit them as well". I want more and better mechanics than that.

That would be awesome! Regardless of my point.
  • Options
    read my post
    same :smile:
  • Options
    i read yours but my previous answer applies. i didnt want to repeat it
  • Options

I don't think that making the gap between PvP and PvE bigger by introducing content-specific gear would be a good idea in PvX game.
  • Options

I don't think that making the gap between PvP and PvE bigger by introducing content-specific gear would be a good idea in PvX game.

I really hoped this wasn't going to be the way that post got interpreted, but I didn't want to add a bunch of disclaimers and make the post long.

This is not what I meant.

Because of the way Ashes is designed, there are going to be stats that are more meaningful in most PvE than they are in most PvP and I feel like the devs will know what those stats are.

I'm suggesting that they skew the rewards accordingly to create a nice spectrum of player experiences, in the way that the games I am used to, do it.

• Options
    do you think they will endure months and months and months of getting trashed in pvp just so they can get bis gear to do a boss? the suggestion is pointless.
    if they have to pvp to get the gear to do the boss, they wont play. so the solution (to a problem that doesnt exist) would be to add a complete progression path from level 1 to level 50 with bis gear that avoids pvp, avoids competing for resources, etc. and this is not this type of game. so if you add that, it takes away from the game.
    and you would be splitting content and gear, so no
    Every player will have access to all content equally, they just need to accept what that entails. PvE player can go get involved in PvP and do a world boss, and vise versa. Everyone will need to do both, if they want to be efficient, just the ratio will differ. This is already true for regular monster farming - you can farm a "top spot" and PvP for it all the time, or you can take less contested one and avoid PvP, for the most part.
    it still gives a unique reward. op said a boss that gives little reward. to my understanding, he meant a reward of little to no value, not something unique like a title and a transmog..
    It could go as far as no reward whatsoever with no chance of PvP, but i think keeping enough reward to retain some chance of PvP would be a much better idea though, to keep it PvX.

• Options
    I really hoped this wasn't going to be the way that post got interpreted, but I didn't want to add a bunch of disclaimers and make the post long.

Because of the way Ashes is designed, there are going to be stats that are more meaningful in most PvE than they are in most PvP and I feel like the devs will know what those stats are.

I'm suggesting that they skew the rewards accordingly to create a nice spectrum of player experiences, in the way that the games I am used to, do it.
    Right, why? It's same idea, just not as extreme. Would it not make those who primarily PvE slightly weaker in PvP, and vice versa?
  • Options

Right, why? It's same idea, just not as extreme. Would it not make those who primarily PvE slightly weaker in PvP, and vice versa?

Hm, I feel I've probably contributed what little I can to this thread.

It's probably just personal preference, never mind, you're right, let's just give the PvE players less rewards altogether instead.

• Options

It's probably just personal preference, never mind, you're right, let's just give the PvE players less rewards altogether instead.
    But you did not contribute anything of value, just like the other thread. The only thing you suggested - you can't even explain yourself what it would achieve. You simply can't answer my previous post without making your suggestion seem silly, can you?
  • Options

But you did not contribute anything of value, just like the other thread. The only thing you suggested - you can't even explain yourself what it would achieve. You simply can't answer my previous post without making your suggestion seem silly, can you?

Nope, I cannot. I contributed nothing. Carry on.

• Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't think removing the carrot from the stick would lead to people chasing the stick. I would prefer to see the hardcore PvE content be in the 20% instanced content. The challenge of world bosses should be the PvP component.
  • Options
    Your suggestion in the OP does exactly this, while Azherae's suggestion simply gives people better tools to enjoy their preferred content in a smoother way.

A super basic example:
    • bosses/mobs mostly have elemental attributes to their attacks
    • open world bosses have X value of those attributes
    • dungeon/instanced bosses have 10X those attributes
    • player weapons have attack types (slashing, bashing, etc)
    • basic attribute value of player weapons is Y
    • mobs have them too, but it's a 1/10Y value
    Azherae's suggestion is to have ow bosses drop items that would usually have Y resistances. Instanced bosses would drop items that have X resistances. If I'm understanding the suggestion correctly, the items themselves could be the same, or if we followed Steven's preference for "ow bosses provide you BiS mats" then instanced stuff could simply give the items that could then be applied to gear and give it the X attributes.

In other words, pvers will have better chances of fighting subsequent hard bosses, while pvpers would have more ways to counter each other while they dance around the ow boss.

Both of yours suggestions could be combined into one system and it would be quite good imo, though I'm sure that a lot of people will still hate the sheer mention of instances (I'm included :) ).
  • Options
    Fantmx wrote: »
    I don't think removing the carrot from the stick would lead to people chasing the stick. I would prefer to see the hardcore PvE content be in the 20% instanced content. The challenge of world bosses should be the PvP component.

I think he wants to offer PvE just for fun but if they complain that they want rewards too then he can show them the battlegrounds.
    No reward without PvP.
    He hopes that he can convert PvE players into PvPers.
    Steven tries too but only for 45 days.
  • Options
    Your suggestion in the OP does exactly this
    How would my suggestion make someone who enjoys PvP more - weaker in PvE, or other way around?
    In other words, pvers will have better chances of fighting subsequent hard bosses, while pvpers would have more ways to counter each other while they dance around the ow boss.
    I get it. I'm not asking "What is the suggestion?", i'm asking "What is the benefit?". What does making PvPers better at PvP specifically actually achieve? Why do you want this to be a thing?
    If PvE enjoyer wants to go and fight world boss, involving mostly PvP - i would not want him to feel discouraged by PvP players being stronger at PvP because they have PvP stats on gear.

Maybe i also need to give a simplified example for my original point.
    World boss is difficulty 5, and reward is 10.
    There is 10 guilds fighting for it, only one can win. You could either count it as 10 times harder to get the reward, or 10 times less reward per guild on average, does not matter.
    10/5/10 = 0.2 reward/difficulty ratio

Dungeon boss is difficulty 10, and reward is 4.
    There is 2 guilds fighting for it, only one can win.
    4/10/2 = 0.2 reward/difficulty ratio

It would not actually work exactly like that, but the idea is that it would balance itself out to be roughly same risk/reward by players being more or less competitive around it, depending on reward. For example - it would simply be not worth your time to fight over a dungeon boss among 10 guilds.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    In other words - you can manage how contested something is by changing how rewarding it is. More reward = more contest.
    So if you want to have hard boss, that is not as contested - just lower the reward, so it's worth less to fight for.
    It is still worth killing, it's just not worth fighting for as hard.
  • Options
    In other words - you can manage how contested something is by changing how rewarding it is. More reward = more contest.
    So if you want to have hard boss, that is not as contested - just lower the reward, so it's worth less to fight for.
    It is still worth killing, it's just not worth fighting for as hard.
    This would only be the case if that low reward boss somehow always respawns at the same time as all the ow bosses. If it's instanced, there's no reason for pvp guilds not to farm it. If it's not instanced and there's not another, supposedly, more valuable boss alive at the time - more guilds will fight for it.

Also, even if there are other ow bosses alive, some of those 10 guilds would instead go fight pvers for their boss, because pvpers would, in theory, be better at pvp. Losing against 9 stronger guilds is way worse than most likely winning against 2 pve guilds.

Azherae's suggestion could potentially lead to collaboration between pve and pvp guilds, because pvers would need defense at their super difficult boss, while pvpers might need a stronger pve force at the ow boss (because their pve dps might be stronger, or the encounter is just way easier for them).

This is why my initial response was simply "do better at pvx design", because trying to split your audience barely ever works. And even if somehow they do manage to get people separated, non-instanced super hardcore bosses can still be fucked over by even just a few people from a pvp guild, so the pvers would not only have lower rewards, but also lower chances of finishing their farm successfully.
  • Options
    TaerrikTaerrik Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Im certainly the minority opinion here, but I want difficult bosses, regardless of chance of pvp happening.

I dont think difficulty needs to only scale by damage done / required gear to tank it either. I mean I want difficult bosses in terms of how many mechanics they are throwing out at nearby players. Let me pvp while dodging and weaving between so many aoe's.

All I am sayin is, if another guild wants to come fight me while I'm dealin with a boss, they better be ready to handle the boss mechanics also at the same time they are trying to take me down.

Cant dodge the aoe or handle the fire? Stay out of the kitchen then
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Raven016 wrote: »
    Fantmx wrote: »

I think he wants to offer PvE just for fun but if they complain that they want rewards too then he can show them the battlegrounds.
    No reward without PvP.
    He hopes that he can convert PvE players into PvPers.
    Steven tries too but only for 45 days.

I still think pure PvE raiders are meant to venture into the 20% instanced content.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    This would only be the case if that low reward boss somehow always respawns at the same time as all the ow bosses. If it's instanced, there's no reason for pvp guilds not to farm it. If it's not instanced and there's not another, supposedly, more valuable boss alive at the time - more guilds will fight for it.

Also, even if there are other ow bosses alive, some of those 10 guilds would instead go fight pvers for their boss, because pvpers would, in theory, be better at pvp. Losing against 9 stronger guilds is way worse than most likely winning against 2 pve guilds.

For sure, there is way more variables and possibilities involved. Other content will play a role. Friends and alliances will play a role. What if there is 2 guilds cooperating on world boss? What if it's alliance of 5 vs alliance of 5? My example is extremely simplified. But regardless of situation - reward distribution should balance out the competition, on average.
    Maybe one day you will be lucky and have no other guild fighting you over a red dragon, who knows :smile:

Ideally there would be no distinction between PvP and PvE player - just PvX player, that can go do more PvP focused content, or more PvE focused, depending on how competitive they feel at the moment.
  • Options
    do you think they will endure months and months and months of getting trashed in pvp just so they can get bis gear to do a boss? the suggestion is pointless.
    and you would be splitting content and gear, so no
    Every player will have access to all content equally, they just need to accept what that entails. PvE player can go get involved in PvP and do a world boss, and vise versa. Everyone will need to do both, if they want to be efficient, just the ratio will differ. This is already true for regular monster farming - you can farm a "top spot" and PvP for it all the time, or you can take less contested one and avoid PvP, for the most part.

EXACTLY. so its pointless adding just a little something just for players who arent even the target audience T_T
  • Options
    There also ways they could make more tradition mechanic bosses like WoW where it tailored made for x players, by making a barrier that only allows x amount of people can enter but there should be ways to disable to barrier (Boss should get enrage quick enrage time if disabled though to stop other allied groups to disable barrier to zerg boss but delayed enough to allow for group engaging to break off the boss to reset it for the fight over the boss) from the outside if another group comes along and want to fight for the boss so there are ways they can make those hard mechanical bosses and prevent zerging
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    pvers dont pve for fun

With the exception of WoW, that is incorrect.

PvE players play games with good PvE because that is what is fun.

The reward structure is supposed to be designed in a way where the items dropped from one tier of encounters increase the over all power of the raid to the point where they can begin to take on the next tier of encounters.

For the most part, this is where complaints about itemization from top end raiders come in. It isn't about "rewards" or anything like that, it is purely a case of if itemization isn't done properly, it negates massive portions of content.

It's actually kind of similar to the whole debate about leveling speed and low level content becoming irrelevent. There is a speed at which things should be bypassed or sped up, but complaints will come if developers attempt to bypass too much, too quickly.

The only complaint about itemization is if the loot from one tier isn't actually quite where it should be in order to take on the next tier of content. This can be as much an issue with that content as with gear, but gear is usually easier to fix, so that is what such complaints come across as.

Point is, most PvE raiders look at gear as keys to more content - it is that additional content that is the reward, because it's just straight up fun to do (if it is designed well).