Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Crafting Mechanics - How do you imagine the crafting system?

MyosotysMyosotys Member
edited September 2023 in General Discussion
What do we know about the crafting mechanics and How do you imagine the crafting system?

I am mostly interested about the degree of random.
- Wearing the gear imply 100% of chance to roll the max tiers or there will be a random range of tiers ?
- Perks are random or we can choose ?

I would prefer that the best gear to guarantee the maximum tiers. But that there be a breaking mechanic. For example, if I have the top gear and materials to make a sword, I have one chance in 100 of making this sword to the maximum tiers and 99 chances of breaking (With the possibility of salvage broken swords).

But I'm against having dozens of trash items flooding the market.

I have never played Star Wars Galaxy so I have no idea how the crafting system works...

EDIT : I didn't notice on the Wiki, that there will be no RNG at all, it makes crafting much more interesting. I was afraid of RNG system with massive inflation of sh** items.

Comments

• Options
    I hate RNG. It always just feels so sloppy.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    MyosotysMyosotys Member
    edited September 2023
    Depraved wrote: »

Aa thanks. It's even better, so no random at all ! that's ideal.
  • Options
    The idea of making crafting one of these horrific gambling/gatcha/lootbox or whatever luck based mechanic is repulsive to me. A skilled craftsman is named such because they can produce high quality goods with consistency and speed - having luck based mechanics to access the highest level of an item while one has already put in the partially very rare materials feels like an unneccessary stretch of the production cycle. Having the materials be very rare or difficult to obtain is already enough IMO.

Skill based crafting mechanics seem to be out of the picture as well and I think that's also reasonable. (source) It's not an overall "bad" system but I think with the focus on the already existing three major bottle necks (obtaining the resource, obtaining the blueprint & access to the necessary work stations) it would be too much hassle instead of fun to produce something.

Regarding the "trash items": Since deconstructing lower level items will be a key part of obtaining the necessary resources for higher level items, a "flood" would probably be desirable. Heck, one could probably make a living ingame from setting up a guild economy around providing mid level deconstruction materials.

So enough of my whining and discussing - What I would hope to see for the whole artisan loop would be:
    • A challenging experience when obtaining resources. I'd be especially thrilled to see the PvX theme continue here and make a select few resources only accessible through PvP a thing - provided if it makes sense. It wouldn't be fun if there was no reasonable explanantion for WHY "PvP exclusive resources" existed in the first place.
    • Exploration loops should provide special opportunities to obtain blueprints that are something special. For example discovering an ancient tomb of dwarfs should provide artisans the option on some quests to learn a special blueprint or a piece of a blueprint which has to be completed by finding and studying other sites of the same dwarven clan.
    • Temporary blueprints should be a thing. And even though this sounds annyoing I think it makes sense in a world where access to almost anything is temporary - even the cities with all the amenities they offer. So imagine having a POI that, as the node progresses, starts a story arc with a caravan event in which the wings of an angel or the skull of an Ancient can be transported to a nearby node. When it reaches the Node it becomes a relic that grants artisans access to special crafting recipies associated with the lore of the relic. This could be a special extra perk like "+5% damage against extra planar creatures" on weapons or increased health regeneration in combat.
    • Once you have established your resource supply and acquired the blueprints of your profession, there should be only access to working station and your proficiency level keeping you from producing the best item of a certain kind.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    I imagine the crafting being an interactive step by step process which is specific for every type of item. So as an example, weaponsmithing would put you in a third person view over your characters shoulder with a hammer in hand over the Anvil. With the mouse you can move an indicator over different parts of the metal that sits on top of the Anvil. With that, you can then choose where to hit the hammer which gradually makes the metal start to take shape. The blueprint of the item would show you the steps in creating it, in this case it shows where to hit to create the perfect quality item. Depending on how close you mirror that determines the item quality.
  • Options
    SweatycupSweatycup Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Not too sure yet about crafting till we see more of it however i will say collecting unique resources from bosses will be a thing to craft the best gear. So instead of the boss dropping gear you can equip right away it will most likely drop materials or parts to craft a item worth crafting for yourself and or others. Recipes might be unique as well with cooking for example where its kind of this trial and error of using different combinations to find the optimum. I suspect alot of unique resources for certain things will require unique farming locations to complete. Like the sword from last stream was made with unique parts/materials farmed from the tower of carphin. So you might need to travel far through many enemy lands to farm the materials. As well seasons will affect resources available. This game in unlike most others where you just mine some aluminum which is available 24/7 and craft a sword. It is much more involved for the good stuff. And the good stuff competes directly on level with top raid gear so to speak.
  • Options
    Myosotys wrote: »
    What are trash items?
    Items which cannot be used at all?
    Or things which players will refer to them as trash because they prefer using other better items?
  • Options
    Raven016 wrote: »
    Myosotys wrote: »
    What are trash items?
    Items which cannot be used at all?
    Or things which players will refer to them as trash because they prefer using other better items?

By "Trash items" I mean items that are too easy to access, leading to item inflation (and therefore price deflation). This situation can be seen in crafting systems with RNG, where you spend your time crafting the same items in the hope of one day having the perfect one (pefect tiers, perfect bonus/perks etc.).

As well as being frustrating, this system means that each player ends up with hundreds of items that nobody wants.

But now that I know there's no RNG with mass of imperfect items, I'm reassured.

If I've understood the way crafting works in AOC, 1 recipe = 1 specific item. The difficulty and rarity lies in gathering rare ingredients, not in luck.

Of course, you'll still need luck to find the basic ingredients, but at least once you've got them, you're guaranteed to be able to craft the item you want.
  • Options
    I don't like RNG in crafting either.
    Not to a degree where the result is useless.