Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

classes?

I am thinking about going to play knight, I get that's really basic but I kind of want to go basic at the start they said you could change classes right if I don't like it, I can change? I was thinking rouge, but I'll guess I'll try all the primary classes in alpha 2 if I get the chance. what do you guys want to try I want to hear your opinions maybe it will change mine.

Comments

• Options
    CawwCaww Member
    edited September 2023
    change classes yes, archetypes, no

The wiki has more info if you want to scan it, https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Classes
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    When it goes live you wont be able to change your primary.

I am thinking of going Fighter/fighter or fighter/tank or fighter/rogue.
    If the fighter toolkit doesnt suit a twin sword warrior then I will have to do some soulsearching.

Too many mmos have narrowed dualwield to assassin with 2 daggers and I have been dissapointed time and again. My last attemted was a pure dual wield stamina dragonknight, focused on sustain and Weapon Attack in ESO since 2015, with some success but nothing near the shield/sword or two handed meta of that game.

My ideal twin sword fighter comes from L2, Tera Online, a bit of AA even though 2h was way better and Elden Ring.

I hope that the fighter in AoC doesnt end up being the typical two handed or sword/shield that we see lately.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Whatever lets me stealthily dual wield daggers and cut/stab people at high speed while still healing.

Like, properly healing.

I've recently learned, through no specific games at all that I can mention, that I'm quite attached to having poison involved in this too. Perhaps some type of Poison synergy with the healing, or Dagger synergies with Healer/Cleric debuffs.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    jeez u guys wanna be op
    anyways you can change your 2nday archetype but not your primary. if you pick a fighter as primary, you are stuck with that forever. if you pick a rogue as primary, you are stuck with that forever.
  • Options
    * grins in worm-cleansed Skull *

I am aware i can never shake off being a Summoner when the Time has come. But at the same time i will gladly embrace also not shaking off what i also want to be. " Me " - a Person who has no Problem with letting the deceased do my bidding. >:)
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    meta is gonna be to have 8 chars if possible or the max amount with your favourite primaries and then just swapping the secondary archtypes to what ever is the flavour / your preferred playstyle for secondary
  • Options
    RazThemunRazThemun Member
    edited November 2023
    You will be able to change your class. But not the primary archetype. A tank can choose from going from Guardian- to Keeper- to Knight, etc. But you will not be able to swap over to just being a Rogue one day, a Tank the next, and a Bard the following. So there will be some restrictions and a slight need for alts. It will not be like new world or some of the other games where you simply swap your weapon and some points to be a different class of player.
  • Options
    GuajatuGuajatu Member
    edited January 12
    Azherae wrote: »
    Whatever lets me stealthily dual wield daggers and cut/stab people at high speed while still healing.

Like, properly healing.

I've recently learned, through no specific games at all that I can mention, that I'm quite attached to having poison involved in this too. Perhaps some type of Poison synergy with the healing, or Dagger synergies with Healer/Cleric debuffs.

I would like a support that is able to help allies with buffs, heals and deal poison damage to enemies. I like the idea of poison support.
  • Options
    I am concerned about tank server distribution and the need for tanks and healers.

I like playing a tank but I need to know whether tanks are going to be in rare supply or not. What percentage of players need to be tanks? It's a burning question for me (and goes for healers too).

Am I correct that normal group size is 8? Does the content demand 1 in 8 be a tank or more like 2 in 8 to have off-tanks?

Similarly- how useless will tanks be in pvp? I know they want tanks to have a us ein pvp, but how good will they ACTUALLY be?
  • Options
    Im also kind of a basics guy, so I'll try the Fighter, the Ranger and the Cleric - once augmentations become available I'll go for Bladedancer, Scout and Shaman.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The design is basic group = 8 player characters with one of each Primary Archetype.
    You'll have to test or play to determine if you want your group(s) to have Off-Tanks.
  • Options
    HybridSRHybridSR Member
    edited November 2023
    I hope the archtype swapping is limited and has a long CD. That's it.

Choices should be important. You shouldn't be able to just change your class combination for every different encounter, that would be lame IMO and also abusable, since it would instantly make all the content easier for obvious reasons. In fact it were for me, you shouldn't even be able to switch at all. If you want to play a different class, create an alt. That's literally why alts exist in most MMOs.

My 2 cents.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    It will require a quest to change. People wont switch on the fly.
  • Options
    I like tanky classes, I will use heavy armor on all of my characters
    Fighter/Cleric, Rogue, Mage, Tank, or Fighter I would use heavy weapon(s) and polearms mostly
    Tank/Rogue, Summoner, Fighter, Tank, Mage, or Cleric
    Cleric/Rogue, Mage, Tank, or Cleric
  • Options
    It will require a quest to change. People wont switch on the fly.

I like the Thought that You could change your Classes "Sub-Class" only once like every Three Months in Realtime.

Like : there must pass some certain Time, before the "World of Verra" ingame, lets You change your Class again so quickly.

Be it something like connected to "The Essence" - or People/Populations making Laws, that force People to take their Class Professions somewhat serious and don't treat it like a Joke, i don't really care.

These Decisions should carry some Weight. On that, i agree with Others here.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    SpifSpif Member
    edited November 2023
    There are a lot of questions about the necessity of Tanks and Cleric. It's not reasonable that there will be a perfect 1-in-8 distribution of Tanks and Clerics. We'll know more when A2 hits.

For content that requires more than 8 players, I think everyone can agree that making a Tank and Healer necessary is ok.

Will both a base-class tank and cleric be necessary for 8-man content (before you answer Of Course!, ask that same question about a Ranger/Mage/Bard/etc. The answer should be the same for all classes IMO). For example, could a similarly-skilled group complete that content with a Fighter/Tank, a Rogue/Tank, a Cleric and a little extra healing? Assume the X/Tanks are geared/spec'd for mitigation and aggro control.

Same question for 4-man content, but just one. IE, will 4-man content need a healer or tank or both or neither? I realize that player skill is going to be a big factor here, but sometimes mobs just hit too hard for a non-tank to be healed through, or unavoidable damage in a 4-man encounter needs a healer.

IF a both a base-class tank and healer are necessary for 8-man content, how good will a second Tank/Clericin the group be at DPS? Because there will likely be to many of them, and many groups will roll with an extra of one.

Summoners are the obvious "wild-card" in class distribution. They will definitely help guilds and set-groups get that perfect class/role distribution. But pick-up groups won't be helped by them much because switching on the fly could be difficult (both from a gearing and respec perspective)
  • Options
    Spif wrote: »
    There are a lot of questions about the necessity of Tanks and Cleric. It's not reasonable that there will be a perfect 1-in-8 distribution of Tanks and Clerics. We'll know more when A2 hits.

For content that requires more than 8 players, I think everyone can agree that making a Tank and Healer necessary is ok.

Will both a base-class tank and cleric be necessary for 8-man content (before you answer Of Course!, ask that same question about a Ranger/Mage/Bard/etc. The answer should be the same for all classes IMO). For example, could a similarly-skilled group complete that content with a Fighter/Tank, a Rogue/Tank, a Cleric and a little extra healing? Assume the X/Tanks are geared/spec'd for mitigation and aggro control.

Same question for 4-man content, but just one. IE, will 4-man content need a healer or tank or both or neither? I realize that player skill is going to be a big factor here, but sometimes mobs just hit too hard for a non-tank to be healed through, or unavoidable damage in a 4-man encounter needs a healer.

IF a both a base-class tank and healer are necessary for 8-man content, how good will a second Tank/Clericin the group be at DPS? Because there will likely be to many of them, and many groups will roll with an extra of one.

Summoners are the obvious "wild-card" in class distribution. They will definitely help guilds and set-groups get that perfect class/role distribution. But pick-up groups won't be helped by them much because switching on the fly could be difficult (both from a gearing and respec perspective)

This is a reason I was hoping that primary archetype isn't the singular determining factor for role. That primary, secondary, and build path as a whole guide you towards a specific party role.
  • Options
    Guild wars 1 has the same exact class system as AOC, check it out to see what to expect.
  • Options
    Dryadez wrote: »
    Guild wars 1 has the same exact class system as AOC, check it out to see what to expect.

Ehh
    I don't know about that. Their dual class system let you choose skills between both classes where ashes has said that will not be the case.
  • Options
    Your primary archetype essentially determines your abilities(skills). Your secondary archetype opens up options for class augment schools.

Active Skills, Passive Skills and Weapon Skills

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Skills
  • Options
    Dryadez wrote: »

Ehh
    I don't know about that. Their dual class system let you choose skills between both classes where ashes has said that will not be the case.

sort of, I imagine AOC will mix it up, but the same class system is in place. You pick your main (cant change it) at later levels you pick your second (changeable) Your second spec adds flavor and useful tools but every class has a "main" talent in which you can only use if you main in that class.

But the idea of this type of class system is well in place in GW1 we can get a good understanding of how it works from researching it there.
  • Options
    ShadowVenShadowVen Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm looking to go Ranger/Bard (BowSinger) or Bard/Ranger (Song Warden) - depending on the passive skill tree of the Bow and Bard augments.
    [img][/img]