Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Alpha 2 Idea/Suggestion

OnyStyleOnyStyle Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited September 2023 in General Discussion
Alpha 2 seems to be going in the right direction! I am very excited to be able to test it. And I want to be able to test it thoroughly...with that said, there are some caveats!

I am concerned about burnout. Considering how important combat is to MMO's (and basically any game with combat), I would very much like to be able to test it quite thoroughly WITHOUT having to level all of the classes to its max level. I will almost certainly be doing it for one of the classes, but I would prefer not to burn out before the game even launches just to test how the classes combat feels!

And that is where my suggestion comes into play:
Have a demo area independent of the alpha 2 for each of the playable classes (preferably including augments, though this may not be a necessity for a demo). This would allow us players to be able to test how each class feels without having to level up the class to alpha 2 level cap. As a bonus, the dev time dedicated for something like this can be used for the launch version of the game as well. This demo area, if kept for launch (and selected during character creation), could help serve as a way for new players to help decide which class they want to play on launch! One of the largest reasons people quit a particular MMO is because they do not like how a class plays. This would certainly help reduce that drop off and increase new play retention!

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    So you are saying that the vast majory that wont test anything let alone their classes, will quit?

Or are you asking for a command /set lv 50 and try to figure out the meta? Because I am down with that.
  • Options
    I rather people have to spend time time to level a class and explore it than just trying everything, even more so at launch.

After launch people can research and see what is best for their style. Seems weird and tacky to be able to try to test something at max level, next people will be asking for dps meters when they test a class as well.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2023
    I've never seen a good MMO suffer because of alpha burnout, never ever, I think this is a made-up issue and would need at least 1 example of a good MMO that did not succeed because it had long testing phases and burnout,

everytime I ask this people come up with doghsit games like crowfal or fractured, that are fundamentally bad and have like thousand different issues ,and they try to blame the burnout,

as a matter of fact, all I have are examples of korean games like recently Lost Ark, where western players play the KR or Russian servers for YEARS, internet is full of guides and content, but when the game launches here they still play it and the game hits +1M concurrent users so... wheres the burnout and the ruined discovery?

img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    i want a training area where i can test different builds, make guides, etc

but for a2 ill probs be leveling every character. i expect it to last for a year and there will be wipes every now and then. plus max level will be 30 and maybe gearing wont be tha hard.

leveling characters help with practicing your leveling strategy and all that so you can get ahead when the game launches ;3

probs also gonna have to level professions ughh
  • Options
    coochcooch Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    For pvp are friendly and enemy abilities color coded? In new world that was one of the biggest issues i had with pvp i didnt know if i was sitting in a friendly or an enemy aoe heal or damage bc they looked the same.
  • Options
    cooch wrote: »
    For pvp are friendly and enemy abilities color coded? In new world that was one of the biggest issues i had with pvp i didnt know if i was sitting in a friendly or an enemy aoe heal or damage bc they looked the same.

Git gud?
  • Options
    wakkytabbakywakkytabbaky Member
    edited September 2023
    plenty of people will burn themselves out / be done testing etc till a update with new mechanics etc comes out during A2 but come full release they will 100% be back on the game in full swing no lifing it, i know i will probably take short breaks from A2 for a week or so due to work / other games but come full release ill still be playing it.

need to remember also that A2 is persistent till release so say release is 3 years after the A2 launches thats plenty of time to lvl all the archtypes and test em out
  • Options
    Other MMOs (example ---> ESO) have the option to start a fresh character OR play a fully leveled template on their test server.

I think the OP is on to something and I fully support this idea.

If Intrepid is worried about players finding the meta on the A2 server, they can simply wait until after launch for this feature (I still support the idea, however).
  • Options
    So you are saying that the vast majory that wont test anything let alone their classes, will quit?

Idea. ^.^

One Week -> Only Warrior/Tank Classes and Second-Classes.

One Week -> Only Mage-Archetypes with Second Classes.

Then Hunters,
    Then Rogues,
    Then Bards,
    Then Summoners,
    Then Leeroy Jenkins, (joking)

But i think this might piss People off, so probably not that good an Idea. ^.^;"
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    I rather people have to spend time time to level a class and explore it than just trying everything, even more so at launch.

After launch people can research and see what is best for their style. Seems weird and tacky to be able to try to test something at max level, next people will be asking for dps meters when they test a class as well.

"Alpha burnout" isn't necessarily what id call it, rather than burnout itself. Perhaps you aren't one of them, but many people do a particular grind, and though they enjoyed the experience would NEVER want to do it again. Even if they love the game (and still love the game).

There are plenty of ways to prevent the testing from "finding out the meta" rather than an actual play test. Make the characters attack's do 0 damage. Don't show damage numbers and make it so the monster can't die, etc. Not to mention that balancing is almost certainly going to change between alpha 2 and launch.

I agree that leveling up a class is very important for alpha 2. We have to test the systems, etc. So, for alpha 2, perhaps have it unlocked after the player reaches a certain level. For the launch, it could be available from the start.

• Options
    OnyStyle wrote: »

There are plenty of ways to prevent the testing from "finding out the meta" rather than an actual play test. Make the characters attack's do 0 damage. Don't show damage numbers and make it so the monster can't die, etc. Not to mention that balancing is almost certainly going to change between alpha 2 and launch.

wtf? also whats wrong with the meta? why do you want people to play the way you want?
  • Options
    Other MMOs (example ---> ESO) have the option to start a fresh character OR play a fully leveled template on their test server.

I think the OP is on to something and I fully support this idea.

If Intrepid is worried about players finding the meta on the A2 server, they can simply wait until after launch for this feature (I still support the idea, however).

Absolutely. I think being able to test out a maxed character's combos to some extent would give a solid idea of which class I would like to play in the main game, or focus my efforts on leveling. Out of all the MMOs I've played, many classes that have similar names can play very differently, meaning I can't exactly know that I will like playing a rogue, mage, or cleric. I would hate to go all in on a class to find that the end-game of the class is not enjoyable or conversely, not play a very enjoyable end-game class because I traditionally did not enjoy how they played in other MMOs.

An obvious example I can think of is FF14. Many of the classes in that game have absolutely terrible early game combos and general feel in combat, but grow into very fun end-game classes. I traditionally do not like healers in MMOs, but FF14 made healers fun for me because they also have the ability to do some DPS while waiting on healing skill refreshes or for certain mechanics to hit. However, had I not seen that side of healers, I would've never touched the healing classes due to my preconceived notions that healers are not a fun class for me to play.
  • Options

"Alpha burnout" isn't necessarily what id call it, rather than burnout itself. Perhaps you aren't one of them, but many people do a particular grind, and though they enjoyed the experience would NEVER want to do it again. Even if they love the game (and still love the game).

I agree that leveling up a class is very important for alpha 2. We have to test the systems, etc. So, for alpha 2, perhaps have it unlocked after the player reaches a certain level. For the launch, it could be available from the start.

This is a alpha not a game, i seeing a lot of terms in your post in relation to playing a game but not in relation to an alpha. Yes people will play it and have fun, but you are not understanding the whole point that this is an alpha you aren't playing AoC release build. There can be wipes, times were you can't play, things locked out, things wanting to be tested, level locks, etc.

You aren't going from lvl 1-max playing it like a full game. If you don't like the idea of doing something over again, and other issues you brought up, I'd have to ask why would you play an actual alpha knowing full well you aren't playing a "game" in a sense, but simply helping with development.
  • Options
    because he wants to play the game...he isn't interested in helping with testing and development, like most people. most people want to play the game and helping with development is just a side thought.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

This is a alpha not a game, i seeing a lot of terms in your post in relation to playing a game but not in relation to an alpha. Yes people will play it and have fun, but you are not understanding the whole point that this is an alpha you aren't playing AoC release build. There can be wipes, times were you can't play, things locked out, things wanting to be tested, level locks, etc.

You aren't going from lvl 1-max playing it like a full game. If you don't like the idea of doing something over again, and other issues you brought up, I'd have to ask why would you play an actual alpha knowing full well you aren't playing a "game" in a sense, but simply helping with development.

If you look at my original post, I didnt say max level, I specifically said alpha 2's level cap. I am well aware of what the purpose of an alpha is. Hence my participation of Apocalypse and Alpha 1. So try not to jump to conclusion about my intentions.

The reason I want a demo area to test is for the sheer purpose of testing how a classes combat FEELS without having to an additional 30+ hours to hit the level cap for the additional classes. Want to call me lazy for not wanting to spend tons of my free time testing? Sure, go for it. But the reality is, I want to be able to give feedback on how the combat feels for every class without the requirement to level them up.
    Depraved wrote: »
    because he wants to play the game...he isn't interested in helping with testing and development, like most people. most people want to play the game and helping with development is just a side thought.

This makes literally no sense. I am literally asking for a way to play LESS and still give good feedback.
  • Options
    AliceAlice Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2023
    Just let us change archetype class...

People get bored, and devs might REDESIGN classes in a way we do not like, or introduce a new class that we like. It's only fair that we should be allowed to change. What's the problem if we can change class at least once a year? (no limit for A2 testing). Driving people to quit for a no good reason.
  • Options
    Alice wrote: »

People get bored, and devs might REDESIGN classes in a way we do not like, or introduce a new class that we like. It's only fair that we should be allowed to change. What's the problem if we can change class at least once a year?(no limit for A2 testing) Driving people to quit for a no good reason.

Smh
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited October 2023

If you look at my original post, I didnt say max level, I specifically said alpha 2's level cap. I am well aware of what the purpose of an alpha is. Hence my participation of Apocalypse and Alpha 1. So try not to jump to conclusion about my intentions.

The reason I want a demo area to test is for the sheer purpose of testing how a classes combat FEELS without having to an additional 30+ hours to hit the level cap for the additional classes. Want to call me lazy for not wanting to spend tons of my free time testing? Sure, go for it. But the reality is, I want to be able to give feedback on how the combat feels for every class without the requirement to level them up.

This makes literally no sense. I am literally asking for a way to play LESS and still give good feedback.

but then you (and probably everybody else too) would be missing the opportunity to give feedback on how the class feels leveling up, solo leveling, partying, find bugs, broken quests etc :((((
  • Options

People get bored, and devs might REDESIGN classes in a way we do not like, or introduce a new class that we like. It's only fair that we should be allowed to change. What's the problem if we can change class at least once a year? (no limit for A2 testing). Driving people to quit for a no good reason.

FOTM chasers is the problem ugh. at least they should put in the effort into leveling up the new class
  • Options
    I agree with @Mag7spy and @Depraved , it's important in A2 we get to test as many aspects of the game as possible from the ground up. I'm sure A2 will be fun but we're not there to play the game, we're there to help support the development and hopefully by doing so, we will get a proper, well built game to enjoy for many many years.
  • Options
    a mix of organic leveling and booster sets will allow a good testing environment
  • Options

I can not remember anymore what exactly it was. I think (?) it was an Alpha/Beta Test for some WoW Expansion long back around 2010 or so ... ...

I got a Key once and helped testing. Although i admit i was excited for the Expansion, i took my Role as a Tester seriously and reported any Bug i could find.

I must say : i literally felt the Realisation i was just "playing" the Alpha or Beta, to "help/test" it - and not to actually play it.

After a Week or so when the Test was over : i was very satisfied that i could help and find report about Twenty Bugs that could then be fixed for the Release of the Expansion.

No Idea how many People help in " Tests " just to play earlier (lol), but i bet they are always there.

Not that i would ever blame them. But my Gutfeeling tells me -> Ashes of Creation will need "SERIOUS" Test Players who help out everywhere they can.

The Game seems SO. HUGE. - and it's Development seems to go accordingly very slow, when we take that into Account.

This is a Game that knows there are a lot of Expectations to be fulfilled. So it is kinda like "several Times" bigger than WoW was, when it released into WoW Vanilla, right ?

Not only does the ingame World seem literally bigger or at least as big as Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor from WoW combined,

no apparently there will be IMMEDIATELY Content inside it, that made it into WoW only Years after it's Release.

From all the Information i gathered about the last Weeks : Ashes of Creation will be big. VEEERY big. It is of no Surprise that it must take it's time.

After all, it shall be released ready and functioning when it's Time is there - right ?
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options

I agree with this. For alpha 2, a way to change archetypes an unlimited amount of times would be great.

but then you (and probably everybody else too) would be missing the opportunity to give feedback on how the class feels leveling up, solo leveling, partying, find bugs, broken quests etc :((((

I agree, this is definitely important. I said it a bit earlier, but perhaps you missed it, that we could have it unlocked after reaching a certain level for alpha 2. This would allow the devs to get plenty of feedback on the leveling/questing process.

FOTM chasers is the problem ugh. at least they should put in the effort into leveling up the new class

Yeah, I am unsure how to feel about being able to change sub-class on the fly. Considering the level up process is supposed to take 3 months, I think I would be okay with a sub-class change that can be earned via a quest chain. I admit, I am a far more casual gamer than I used to be (mostly due to lack of time). So I can empathize with the idea of picking the wrong sub-class and not wanting to spend that time to level up an entirely new character. (THREE MONTHS IS A LONG TIME) Giving someone the ability to correct that mistake would prevent that "quit" moment from happening. If I recall, skill resets are locked behind a quest. Doing something similar for archetypes would probably be fine.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited October 2023
    you dont have to level your sub. just look at the sub as a talent tree. disagree with a quest chain.
    resetting shouldnt be easy enough that you can reset 10 times every day, but also not too hard. just pay some gold and thats it or limit it to one - two resets a week. but that's up to IS anyways
  • Options

I agree with this. For alpha 2, a way to change archetypes an unlimited amount of times would be great.

I agree, this is definitely important. I said it a bit earlier, but perhaps you missed it, that we could have it unlocked after reaching a certain level for alpha 2. This would allow the devs to get plenty of feedback on the leveling/questing process.

Yeah, I am unsure how to feel about being able to change sub-class on the fly. Considering the level up process is supposed to take 3 months, I think I would be okay with a sub-class change that can be earned via a quest chain. I admit, I am a far more casual gamer than I used to be (mostly due to lack of time). So I can empathize with the idea of picking the wrong sub-class and not wanting to spend that time to level up an entirely new character. (THREE MONTHS IS A LONG TIME) Giving someone the ability to correct that mistake would prevent that "quit" moment from happening. If I recall, skill resets are locked behind a quest. Doing something similar for archetypes would probably be fine.

WHY DO you not understand you are playing a ALPHA. Why do I see you talking about leveling taking 3 months in a alpha that is not max level.

Seriously you need to understanding what you are spending money on..... your points make 0 sense from what you will be playing and also the fact it is an alpha. If the thought of leveling another character again is something you don't like, you aren't going to handle it well if everything gets wiped.

Again this is an alpha not a game release, nor something for you to just swap between classes just cause you have 0 commitment, which is another issue all together with you on a alpha.
  • Options
    While I can't exclude that there will be something like a "boost" for characters at some point during Alpha, I honestly don't see much benefits in this and here is why:

1) There is a level cap of 35 for the Alpha 2 (source) so you can't experience the peak of your class until he Beta / launch anyways.

2) The primary purpose of the Alpha is not for people to get a feel for the classes, because at this stage balancing has not been done. Instead having an Alpha 2 key is something you purchased to participate in the test of systems, whatever systems Intrepid sees fit. They could disable a class at any time, the can reset your level at any time, they could also boost you straight to lv 35 and make you participate in a siege. This is not an open world "run around and enjoy yourself" period by no means, even though we will probably have periods like this where there will just be gaming so they can gather data on player behavior.

3) If players in general are quick to burn out from leveling in this game, Intrepid probably made something fundamentally wrong seeing how the world and its quest are made to be dynamic and engaging at any stage of the game. Additionally, leveling in Ashes from all we know is more than just an aribtrary grind period before "the real game begins" it is very much a already part of the story & reputation you are building for your character, a process you might not want to rush by any means.

4) To my knowledge the livestreams will continue even during the Alpha, so there will be at some point before the Beta begins in all likelihood detailed showcases from Intrepid and content creators showing off all the classes. Why do I mention the Beta here? Because most player on the fence about this probably did not purchase anything more expensive than the Beta key pack. So by the time the largest amount of players (with probably the least amount of patience) will have access to the Ashes to actually test the classes, there will be content online to help them make a choice even without playing.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    Part of the game systems we will be testing in A2 and beyond are the classes themselves so I agree that it would be nice to be able to test multiple classes at various levels without having to level them all from scratch. While it is important to test the leveling experience and I'm sure we will all level many different characters in the different iterations of A2, Beta, etc. it seems just as important to be able to test changes made to classes along the way without having to spend a great deal of time to level them up again. There will be 64 class combinations at launch - a scope of combinations completely unheard of in the modern MMO genre for a launch title. If one is expected to thoroughly test a majority or all of the classes and their skills out to provide feedback on how they play it only makes sense to offer an ability to test them at various levels without manually leveling. I could see this manifesting as something along the lines of an area to test archetypes and subclasses at various levels such as 10, 20, 30, etc. Good idea OP, I believe that it has merit.