Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Level Of event

DreuguiDreugui Member
edited September 2023 in General Discussion
Yo !
So, I just finished the stream about the event system, and I have a question potentially important.
Q: If the event is proc by a party of lv 15 (or in a "low level area/zone"), What appends if a player level 30 ( or just highly higher level) come ?
1) does he just can't join ?
2) can he join and can solo the event ?
3) does the event scale to him (as in it count the level and spawn mobs "just" for him or augment the level of the event a litle like a mean or any math that count him ) ?
4) do the event down scale the "power" of the player ?
5) do you scale Event like TESO ?
6) None of the above ?
Sorry for my english. French here !

Comments

• Options
    wakkytabbakywakkytabbaky Member
    edited September 2023
    im thinking it might take the D4 approach where your dmg is scaled to % based when theres completely different levels in the event.

it could also take the route where the enemy npc levels average out from everyone participating and then no dmg scaling at all so the high level players can nuke the npcs.

it could even just be set npc levels by the node mechanics etc and then more people just make it harder by giving em more hp / dmg and the higher lvl you are the easier for you it is
  • Options
    I bet its like the FATE Events in FFXIV where the player gets Scaled down
  • Options
    or no scaling and let him carry you. he might want to join a higher level events for the rewards though
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They specifically said there would be no scaling.
    https://youtu.be/OmTNooWyZxU?si=UH744urx57hVv67n&t=2554
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2023
    mark 42:34

power levels of characters don't scale, but more NPCs will spawn.

• Options
    The PvP events are going to be such a custerf without scaling, although at 50 that won't matter. Another good reason to race to 50.

Level imbalance in PvE events could really skew contribution if it's based on damage/healing done. Although a combination of time, damage/healing, and actions taken would mitigate that a bit
  • Options
    DreuguiDreugui Member
    edited October 2023
    There is a thing we didn't count is : having an higher level than the zone would be rare... because the function of the game itself would "force" you to move to a zone where you "need" to be. and so having a higher level than the event wouldn't happen 🤔
    Sorry for my english. French here !
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There will be plenty of reasons for higher levels to be in lowbie areas. Just passing through, gathering, maybe you own a freehold in the area, maybe the node has a crafting station you need, trade, and so on.
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They could just simply cut off rewards if your 5+ levels above the recommended level.

The bigger issue I see is you can't really plan for a balanced party to do a spontaneous event. What happens if the minimum shows uo to level the event to a raid but there's no healers and/or tanks? If events are balanced around a party size they'll become nearly impossible for unbalanced groups.

I guess this is what alpha and beta are for though.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Unlike more traditional games, as @darthaden implied, there will not be 'lowbie areas'. A level 6 node will certainly have higher level mobs and dungeons than a level 1 or 2 node, but the level 6 node will also have low level mobs and dungeons still present near town. So, within a given node, you will find both low level and higher level mobs.

From the wiki: "Zones and progression
    Dungeons, Raids, World bosses, Mobs, Quests, Events, Resources, Narratives and other content within a node's ZOI will have a diverse level range; but will scale with the advancement of that node and its racial influence.[33][34][2]

Portions of the spawn tables (for mobs and resources) are static and other portions are dynamic and adapt to node development.[35]
    We don’t have a strictly level 25 zone. Instead, that zone might have some level 10 creatures near the road, some level 20 creatures deep in the forest, and some level 30 creatures up the mountain. These ratios will change based on the Nodes that inform them, becoming generally more dangerous as the Node grows. All this civilization attracts the attention of Things-That-Should-Not-Be. This does not mean that wilderness areas are safe, by any means. Some may be safe-er, but all will have dangers that even the most experienced traveler needs to watch out for.[36] – Steven Sharif"

This is about halfway down on this page: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Zone_of_influence
  • Options
    I'd think that it would probably be the second answer. Assuming the level 15 players are in an area for that level that would mean the level 30 guy can now solo an event and get a reward not worth his time the "worst" that player had done in that situation is "steal" the contribution percentages of the original lv 15 group
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    Get used to dying.

Although if you are on the lower end of the level, you should be receiving less threat/attention. In theory because you could turn into a smashed bug on a windshield in the blink of an eye.

Also depends on event. If more players bring a lot more less powerful opponents, like swarms, then lower level PCs can use positioning to survive. Against a bunch of brutes the melee types are going to have a more difficult time. And when the BBG throws around AOEs then PCs will drop.

If they are adjusting events by the number of players and how quickly the players are running through an event, then you will have situations where having a high powered group join an event that was manageable to the players who start the event become much more difficult to impossible. Now that said, experience rewards could also be much higher. I just wonder how it impacts the fun factor. Going to have to play test these scenarios to figure out what adjustments are necessary.