Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

PVP Hopeful

I’m sure there are a lot of people like me that have not had a positive experience with PVP. I have never been much of a PVP fan because I suck at it. I’m wanting to go into this game with an open mind, maybe figure out why I’m so bad at PVP. Can I change my experience to at least make it bearable. I’m looking for pointers or any Insite that may help. I may be a lost cause but I’m hoping that there is some advice out there that might help.

Comments

• Options
    pvp a lot, record your duels, think what you could have gone better. watch pro players pvp and compare
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited October 2023
    1NOX1 wrote: »
    I’m sure there are a lot of people like me that have not had a positive experience with PVP. I have never been much of a PVP fan because I suck at it. I’m wanting to go into this game with an open mind, maybe figure out why I’m so bad at PVP. Can I change my experience to at least make it bearable. I’m looking for pointers or any Insite that may help. I may be a lost cause but I’m hoping that there is some advice out there that might help.

Make inrl friends. Play mmos together.
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    pvp a lot, record your duels, think what you could have gone better. watch pro players pvp and compare
    Feels like the author just want to be able to enjoy the game even if he's not good/experienced with pvp, not becoming a pro League of Legend player :open_mouth:

If you're afraid of open world pvp, I would agree to play with other players (guild, friends, ...) for a start at least.
    Big scale PVP (Castle/Node sieges) can be a "safe" way to discover opt-in pvp as well
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited October 2023
    Simple suggestion: Everytime you die in PvP think about what you could do better next time in the situation instead of blaming others or being fk that guy or blaming the game.
    Your better off in the long run fighting back or trying to escape and work on improving those skills instead of just sitting down and dieing (it happens often)
    And there always the option of make friend farm with other and so on alot of the cases pvp situation come from one or two people ganking and the chances of being attacked is reduced the more you outnumber somone (Yeah zerg mentality but it does work).
    attack back and trying to win mean you loose less resources if you loose and you improve a little in pvp fighting so it a bit of a win win, only downside is the attacker doesnt get corruption penalty though if he does kill you but he gets less reward from killing you soo bit of give/take.

If you want to avoid PvP as much as possible though your chances to do this would be to advoid the high population density area's aka R6 nodes where possible generaly more pvp orinated players witl gravitate to more population dense area's
  • Options
    Make friends who will go to battle with you but also duel with you. Dueling is a great way to learn/enhance your skills and also learn what other classes bring to the table in a fight. So duel with friends and then travel with said friends in the open world so you are ready for the fight when it comes. Also remember that you will die a lot! But with time comes experience and you will improve if you keep at it!
  • Options
    Ace1234Ace1234 Member
    edited October 2023
    Take a scientific approach. Set overarching goals, learn the specifics of how mechanics/pvp interactions work, and figure out how to leverage that knowledge to best meet your goals.
  • Options
    Dagera wrote: »
    Depraved wrote: »
    Feels like the author just want to be able to enjoy the game even if he's not good/experienced with pvp, not becoming a pro League of Legend player :open_mouth:

If you're afraid of open world pvp, I would agree to play with other players (guild, friends, ...) for a start at least.
    Big scale PVP (Castle/Node sieges) can be a "safe" way to discover opt-in pvp as well

how does someone enjoy a game? i enjoy the game differently than you enjoy the game. what you enjoy might not be enjoyable for me. he asked for advice on how to improve. you can already tell that he doesnt enjoy pvp, he just wants to improve.
  • Options

also, become the predator, not the prey. every time you see a gatherer, KILL HIM
  • Options

Play people that are better than you, and you'll die a lot and learn a lot. Eventually you'll stop dying so much and start winning some.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Lots of good advice here already. My advice would be to learn the classes, their strengths and weaknesses. The biggest bit of advice I'd give is, take on fights, as many as you can. Don't be afraid to die, the more fights you take on and reflect on, the more you will learn and get better.
  • Options
    Most people who are bad at games simply don't spend much time on them. If you have the time then do what everyone else is suggesting. If you don't have much time, the muscle memory from button combos and general game sense will be difficult to achieve.
  • Options
    BarabBarab Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2023
    First I would like to applaud you for being open minded as someone who "isnt a pvp fan" when it comes to pvp in AoC. My opinion, but I feel there are more mmo players who enjoy pve as well pvp in an mmo over the extremes of pve only or pvp only gamers. Players provide the biggest competition, content, and reward when the mmo mechanics allow for it.

My best advice is find a guild that will have organized pvp. Guilds that conduct open field small to large scale pvp practice, have designed pvp group / raid specs, and have experience in mmos that had territory control and open world pvp. AoC sure will have it's one on one pvp ganks, or three+ on one ganks, but most likely the real pvp will be between organized, and not so organized, group to raid sized fighting.

The Dünir Hold Mithril Warhammers,Thanes of the Keelhaul, Dünir scourge of the oceans, Warhammer First Fleet Command of The Dünzenkell Nation, friends to the Dünir Dwarves of the Dünhold.Hammers High!
  • Options
    SweatycupSweatycup Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2023
    It's just a game, you are here for fun. If you admitted which you did that you are generally not good at pvp you already realize being a top pvp player will most likely always be unachievable without astounding effort. Some people just are not good at certain things, it's ok. Try playing with others. Try finding opponents who are a little better then you then climb the difficulty ladder so you can gradually increase your skill. When someone griefs you or technically just destroys you in the moment take a moment to control and bring your concious back to the fact it's just a game, have a laugh if you can. By changing your emotional behavior to how you handle this scenario can make you more resilient. Just like in a fps game the players whose heart races or sweats is more likely to screw up or misstep a action. Control yourself. You can get better at that to take the edge off or pain of dying. Surround yourself with the best pvp players you can find and try to learn by watching and then emulating. Worst comes to worst just be a feeder and again find a group who is decent and or good at pvp that you can tag along with. No matter what you choose study and learn to control and get rid of abhorrent behavior and emotions. However you could always just play another game...
  • Options
    HillefuegoHillefuego Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Don't neglect the mental aspect. Its literally the keep your mind cool meme. If you get frustrated while playing it takes away from your ability to think during the game. Spamming duels is only as valuable as your capacity to learn from them.
  • Options
    If you need to train other than dueling, 1v1 Arena has been confirmed so you could give that a red hot crack and move on to say 3v3 and then 5v5 and so on to get a feel of working as a team. Till you feel more comfortable doing bigger scale pvp
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    KingDDDKingDDD Member
    edited October 2023
    Learn how to blame the other person for using op classes and having better gear.

Then learn how to make excuses. I prefer my shoes being tied together or telling others the sun was in my eyes.

Always remember it's not your fault!
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    There are lots of friendly and helpful advice in this thread! Love to see it :)

Personally, I'd recommend making friends with people who are both patient and PvP lovers. Find out what excites them about PvP and what makes them good at it, and see if you can learn from them. When you're in-game, I believe you will have many opportunities to make friends like this :)
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    I recommend play with a group. PvP usually comes down to a numbers advantage. If you don't have a group to play with, there are many guilds in the guild recruitment forums and hopefully one of them share personalities that you enjoy playing with.
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    edited October 2023
    Large scale seige-type PvP has a different feel from one-on-one and can be a lot fun, win or lose. It's true that there are players that practice one-on-one with guildies or others and they can be quite good and effective, not to mention hard to beat, however, that aside, the larger group play PvP would be worth the time to try.
  • Options
    Caww wrote: »
    Large scale seige-type PvP has a different feel from one-on-one and can be a lot fun, win or lose. It's true that there are players that practice one-on-one with guildies or others and they can be quite good and effective, not to mention hard to beat, however, that aside, the larger group play PvP would be worth to time to try.

Everyone should take part in large scale in this game if your node getting attack you realy want to defend it so it definetly worth participating in large scale pvp content