Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Fishing Mechanics

Stardew Valley does fishing so well and I hope Ashes will have a similar system. Holding left-click for casting and timing it for max cast is simple but satisfying. Again holding left-click to keep your lure on top of the fish almost feels like you're actually fishing. The risk v reward of taking your lure off of your fish to catch a treasure is great design.

Also, I know they've said no afk fishing but I really enjoy RuneScape's style of fishing too. Maybe Ashes could have different ways of fishing where some fish are acquired through semi-afk methods like 2-3 minutes between interactions. So, say you're cathing lobsters with your pot and that would be afk where as catching bass with your fishing rod would be fully interactive.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Perhaps it might be possible to craft a fish trap (with sufficiently high fishing and crafting skills) that could be active at the same time as you are fishing? So, it is not AFK fishing but still is increasing your yield.
  • Options
    i suspect it be inline with Archeage with probaly some minor improvement atleast in regards to sport fishing.
  • Options
    the best fishing is the afk fishing
  • Options
    They've said they don't want any afk content, as they don't see the point in designing a game system for you to not play.

"We want this game to be played. If there are things that you can do to not play the game and still progress, we've done something wrong.[2] – Jeffrey Bard"
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    i know but still, i just hate fishing T_T
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited October 2023
    Depraved wrote: »
    i know but still, i just hate fishing T_T

Maybe you can be the Murder-Hobo who kills all the hateful fishers?! :D

Sounds like a 'Depraved' thing to do.
  • Options
    oh yeah, anyone i see fishing at their FH will be KOS. thats how i fish, by taking their fish.
  • Options
    Fishing for Fishers, not Fishies.
  • Options
    JerryDidrikJerryDidrik Member
    edited October 2023
    daveywavey wrote: »
    They've said they don't want any afk content, as they don't see the point in designing a game system for you to not play.

I'm not talking hours of afk just a minute or so untill your inventory has been filled then you run back to town to reset. It's very relaxing and allows you to enjoy a video on the side and enjoy the ambience of the world. Autorun is afk in that sense same with crafting or whatever.

• Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

I'm not talking hours of afk just a minute or so untill your inventory has been filled then you run back to town to reset. It's very relaxing and allows you to enjoy a video on the side and enjoy the ambience of the world. Autorun is afk in that sense same with crafting or whatever.

I guess that's something for the next Q&A, then :)
  • Options
    Stardew Valley does fishing so well and I hope Ashes will have a similar system. Holding left-click for casting and timing it for max cast is simple but satisfying. Again holding left-click to keep your lure on top of the fish almost feels like you're actually fishing. The risk v reward of taking your lure off of your fish to catch a treasure is great design.

Also, I know they've said no afk fishing but I really enjoy RuneScape's style of fishing too. Maybe Ashes could have different ways of fishing where some fish are acquired through semi-afk methods like 2-3 minutes between interactions. So, say you're cathing lobsters with your pot and that would be afk where as catching bass with your fishing rod would be fully interactive.

What do you guys think?

Afk fishing with the open world PvP ? Also afk fishing = bots fishing. I hope there will we plenty of mobs arround fishing spots for you can kill bots with mobs without getting corrupted.
  • Options
    Will Ashes be banning Livescope?
  • Options
    Will Ashes be banning Livescope?

Maybe that'll be a higher-tier passive?
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As long as they make fishing engaging and needed for high end cooking/alchemy there's no need for AFK fishing. the fishing system I've been suggesting on here for years is pretty similar to the one the OP put forward

Left click to cast and reel in the line. Right click to set the hook and net the fish once it's in range. Move the mouse side to side to make your bait move slightly to try to avoid snags.
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Now if they decided to go the WOW route and just make it click to catch the fish then I'd 100% demand AFK fishing because fishing in that game is mind numbing
  • Options
    If fishing for resources, then nets and traps are more efficient. Pole fishing will be more targeted or to reach less accessible areas. Trap fishing perfectly fits the AFK model. But it all depends on what you are fishing for.

I can also see fishing as a game within the game. Particularly angling. Different species, different locations, different baits or lures, different seasons and weather situations (air temperature, water temperature, barometric pressure, wind, rain, light, etc). Solar-lunar cycles. Topology, structure and cover. Water oxygen levels. Fishing pressure. Adaptation of fish to the variety of lures or techniques. Crafting of these new lures or techniques. Plus the fact that only about 25% of the fish in a given body of water may feed that day, depending on species of course, and of those something like 10-20% will feed in areas anglers can fish without technology.

Last thing I would want to see is a circle on the water stating the equivalent of “fish are here”. Unless we’re talking about bait fish or birds that signal where those bait fish are. However a lot of bait form balls under the water that are not as easily visible.

If you don’t want to take the time to do it right, then may as well place spammable barrels or “fishing stations” where you have a timed animation until a fish pops into your pack. I wouldn’t call that fishing, however. That’s why traps and nets may be more realistic (or immersive), because that’s essentially what you’re doing with those types of fishing. Nets being more immediate and traps having the opportunity for higher reward or theft of your catch.
  • Options
    I much prefer fishing in Read Dead Redemption 2 and Sea of Thieves. This game is in UE5, why not use the graphics and environments instead of creating another UI that pulls you away? I am very much against UI being in every aspect of a game because it isn't necessary. UI is best suited for things that are difficult to create mechanically and visually in the game world, like inventory/storage, maps, social tabs, or informational tabs.