Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Player judgment honor system.

I was thinking about how most games and MMOs have "honor systems" that are related to finishing quests, gaining standing with factions or achievement hunting and PVP systems.

I wonder if there could ever truly be an honor system that is dictated by player actions and choices in game.

Kind of like a Good vs Evil meter that is influenced by your actions in game and can be influenced by actual players judging you according to your actions. Like a more robust version of the "Give a player props at the end of the match, or avoid them" options.

Example for good judgement: You help some strangers on a quest and after the questing is done a rare item drops, one that is both useful to you, but more useful to the other player. You decide to pass and let them have the item. This would be a good deed you have done for this person and the person can offer the chance to honor that good deed with an option or pop up.
The player who let the item go is then awarded some sort of honor point that slides there "good/evil" meter in the appropriate direction.

Example for evil judgement: You see two people questing, they are killing some mobs trying to level up, you overpower them in both level and gear. You make it your mission to make sure that these two know that this area is off limits and that they might as well log into another character as you plan on camping them.
This would somehow affect your standing in the negative direction. Eventually giving you access to items that only someone of this standing would be able to acquire.

As this meter moves in the desired direction is incentivizes the player to literally take on the role that they are trying to achieve. Certain item sets, titles, weapons and gear would be available to people who have achieved higher levels of honor through this system.

"Honorable cloak of the Order" for an item with good standing.
"Defiled cloak of the scoundrel" for an item with evil standing.

It would bring a whole new level or immersion into the game to be roaming the fields and seeing someone with a title that makes you legitimately worried that they might do something messed up to you, or with a title that shows they have a proven track record of helping people out.

Just thinking out loud here.

Comments

• Options
    If I do not like you, I'll just screw up your good/evil stat. How is it more robust?
  • Options
    Korela wrote: »
    If I do not like you, I'll just screw up your good/evil stat. How is it more robust?

Is this now how it works in real life?

Some people are just going to be jerks no matter what.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would put a pin in all the new ideas and suggestions and talk about it post-launch, its good to remember game was supposed to release before 2020, and now we hope to get it before 2030
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited October 2023
    GFKilla wrote: »
    I was thinking about how most games and MMOs have "honor systems" that are related to finishing quests, gaining standing with factions or achievement hunting and PVP systems.

I wonder if there could ever truly be an honor system that is dictated by player actions and choices in game.

Kind of like a Good vs Evil meter that is influenced by your actions in game and can be influenced by actual players judging you according to your actions. Like a more robust version of the "Give a player props at the end of the match, or avoid them" options.

Example for good judgement: You help some strangers on a quest and after the questing is done a rare item drops, one that is both useful to you, but more useful to the other player. You decide to pass and let them have the item. This would be a good deed you have done for this person and the person can offer the chance to honor that good deed with an option or pop up.
    The player who let the item go is then awarded some sort of honor point that slides there "good/evil" meter in the appropriate direction.

Example for evil judgement: You see two people questing, they are killing some mobs trying to level up, you overpower them in both level and gear. You make it your mission to make sure that these two know that this area is off limits and that they might as well log into another character as you plan on camping them.
    This would somehow affect your standing in the negative direction. Eventually giving you access to items that only someone of this standing would be able to acquire.

As this meter moves in the desired direction is incentivizes the player to literally take on the role that they are trying to achieve. Certain item sets, titles, weapons and gear would be available to people who have achieved higher levels of honor through this system.

"Honorable cloak of the Order" for an item with good standing.
    "Defiled cloak of the scoundrel" for an item with evil standing.

It would bring a whole new level or immersion into the game to be roaming the fields and seeing someone with a title that makes you legitimately worried that they might do something messed up to you, or with a title that shows they have a proven track record of helping people out.

Just thinking out loud here.

well, will your alignment points be given by the system or by the players? if poitns are given by the system, then yeah sure. if points are given by the player, then no.

in your second example, thats not an evil deed. just because i want to farm in this area and dont want people farming here doesnt mean im evil. im just trying to get exp and gold. i could say that the other 2 dudes are evil because they are ruining my experience. so it goes both ways. doesnt matter if im higher level or better geared, killing them doesnt make me evil. what if im trying to finish the same quest? from my pov, they are the evil players.

also people could just abuse it by giving points to each other. l2 had the recommend system. i dont wanna explain it so just google it. just know that before hi5 it didnt do anything, but in h5, it was abused for extra exp.

and for the rewards, i guess intrepid would decide. but i wouldnt be wearing a title, cloak, gear, cosmetics that yells "i attack people gathering", especially if im going out to attack people gathering. it would literally tell them "hey im coming so you better run before im close" and then id miss my chance to kill them. so probably only people with good standing will benefit from this system. like hey there Is a nice guy over there, let me ask him for help.

admit it, you just wanna see beforehand who is going to attack you :D

i'd prefer if points were given by the system. but i think we have an honor system already? idk
  • Options
    I get the impetus of your idea, but I can’t see it having a different endpoint than all social media: good and evil simply decompose into the pursuit of external validation and min/maxing stats by doing this ‘good’ thing and that ‘evil’ thing.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Honestly it's not player focused but your religious choices (assuming you pick a religion in game) has a duality path of light and dark that can directly affect your player through various augments etc.

I've played a lot of games where people get deserter debuffs or troll content, rage quit after a single death or wipe etc. Go onto another character like nothing happened or move onto a new group. Corruption is one thing... but to deliberately ruin other peoples time is an awful thing to disregard. There's a TOS for reason and if the studio's support ignores it then those kind of players are being enabled.

I believe these penalisations should be account wide and not specific to your characters. If you're in a situation where you need a pug or have to pug, somethings are hard to determine as gear and ratings can easily be manipulated depending on the design of the game. Lacking in skill is one thing but purposely toxic and what not... that's another.

But more specifically to your original post and subject matter, Good and Bad is subjectively perspective with moral bias which can be tied to many origins such as in-game religions which as you described with a moral compass meter haha
  • Options
    I'm not too much of a fan for making gear requirements like that and even though I am on record proposing a few "player judgement systems" myself, I think this one goes too far. The reason why I think that is, that these systems in my opinion function best when they are limited to be just between these two people and do not go beyond that. All benefits or drawbacks then still take effect if accumulated enough in either direction.

(For context: I suggested having a personal record book in which you can give players a "reputation rating" to keep track for yourself who you liked playing with and the other proposal was to be able to "block a person" [all characters of all their accounts, both of you can no longer chat or trade with one another not even over things like auctions where a crafted item of the other is offered])
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<