Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Tulnar Architecture and Artistic Influence

ImoxatorImoxator Member
edited October 2023 in General Discussion
Hello! Looking into Tulnar, I noticed something interesting:
Aelean architecture has a French medieval influence.[109]
Dünir have a Nordic cultural influence.[110]
Empyreans have a Greco-Roman imperialistic feeling.[111]
The Kaelar have a European racial influence.[112]
The Niküa have a Polynesian influence.[113][111]
The Py'Rai have a Navajo Native American influence.[111] Py'Rai architecture has a woodland inspiration.[54][114]
Pyrian architecture has a Greco-Roman influence.[115]
The Vaelune have a Middle Eastern racial influence.[116]
The Vek have a Mesoamerican racial influence.[116]

There's plenty of talk about real-world influences for the races (excluding Ren'Kai, as a side note) that abandoned Verra, but there's no talk about what artistic influences have impacted the Tulnar, Verra's most loyal remnants. All I have found is: "In a similar fashion, their cultural markers are also going to be a combination of different influences, so they're very differently constructed culture than what is found in the other eight races."

What real-world influences could/should/will impact Tulnar racial armor and architecture? How do YOU think Tulnar racial armor and architecture should appear, based on their current factors of life? They are the only playable race on Verra that has had consistent access to the Essence for the past 1000+ years, after all.

b625kya3y5ut.png
yroop7496kwi.png

On a secondary note, I'm concerned that, from what we've seen (bone jewelry, wood/bone/hide structures, etc.), the Tulnar appear to be some Neanderthal, cave-dwelling race that, over the 1000+ year history between the Exodus and eventual return from Sanctus, devolved in the Underrealm instead of evolved. Do you think this is an intentional design choice? Do you think we're just seeing the basic renditions of Tulnar design and they're actually much more advanced than what we've seen? Do you like that this might be the extent of their artistic design? Or do you wish it was different?
u5l8c6eyozf7.png

Comments

• Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Tulnar don't have a culture to influence.

efqcqdtl9f67.pngsenji80nupmf.png

lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    PlasticLemonsPlasticLemons Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2023
    Tulnar don't have a culture to influence.

edit: serious answer: Steven has mentioned in the past that "Americans are like tulnar in a way" in the sense that the tulnar culture is a melting pot of lots of different smaller civilizations in pre-Apoc Verra.

Understanding this, and seeing that Py'Rai have "native american" influence and Vek have "mesoamerican" influence, that only leaves one other cultural influence to tap into it.

2000's era skinny jeans and flannels.
  • Options
    abe2mcwy4ic2.png
    u5l8c6eyozf7.png
  • Options
    TeylouneTeyloune Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2023
    I think that It would be nice to see their first few tiers of buildings start out rather simple. As they advance through the tiers, they could become much more creative in how they construct their structures. For example, they could use magical crystals to make their buildings partially levitate, giving their more refined structures a unique and distinct appearance.

I believe a concept that could work well for them is something akin to the Lizardmen from Warhammer, which is an intriguing blend of what I would describe as a "Primitive High Culture." They are often portrayed as a highly organized and advanced ancient civilization with profound knowledge of magic, technology, and complex societal structures. Simultaneously, they maintain a tribal and primal aspect in their culture, deeply connected to nature and possessing a strong warrior tradition.

It would be awesome to see elements like that reflected in the architecture of the Tulnar.
  • Options
    Gaul_Gaul_ Member
    edited October 2023
    Great starter post. I did do some digging and found that the some of the buildings in the Dream Nodes Concept art matches Sitari Sladeborne concept art from the March 2021 livestream. The watchtower is a match as well.

This seems odd since the Sladeborne avian race were noted by Steven as corrupted because they did not go in the Underrealm...v08jppengigf.png
  • Options
    The tulnar which are closer to lizards, might want to have part of their home with underwater rooms. Maybe with waterfalls.
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Gothic, Vodun (voodoo), and Shinto era japan.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2023
    leets keep expectations realistic, Tulnar was a Kickstarter stretch goal, a 'bonus' race not part of the core scope of the game,

don't expect them to have a unique architecture influence or racial armor appearance for launch, we have never seen/heard about it, 6 years in development if they were to have it we would have seen it, maybe post launch,

and keep in mind, this game is already massive, and we want a release before 2030
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »
    leets keep expectations realistic, Tulnar was a Kickstarter stretch goal, a 'bonus' race not part of the core scope of the game,

don't expect them to have a unique architecture influence or racial armor appearance for launch, we have never seen/heard about it, 6 years in development if they were to have it we would have seen it, maybe post launch,

and keep in mind, this game is already massive, and we want a release before 2030

Honestly, as a Kickstarter stretch goal I wouldn't be mad if they didn't have much known about them period at launch and the first expansion was a "deep dive" of tulnar stuff in terms of lore/architecture/racial stuff.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I expect Tulnar to have influences from all the other races, seeing as they are a mixed race from the other races.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Tulnar was a Kickstarter stretch goal, a 'bonus' race not part of the core scope of the game,

The purpose of the post is to bring attention to the lack of information we do have, as well as provide ideas to developers on how they could design Tulnar racial cosmetics and architecture. We haven’t seen much information on them yet because, exactly as you stated, they are a stretch goal. Same reason why naval warfare information is limited. But I disagree with the assumption that they likely won’t have unique architecture or racial armor.

However you look at it, Tulnar will have architecture and racial cosmetics at launch. They can’t not, even if it’s a carbon copy of Kaelar design. Would you rather have the designers go the lazy route and copy another race’s designs, or help them come up with something unique that thematically makes sense?
    u5l8c6eyozf7.png
  • Options
    Teyloune wrote: »
    I think that It would be nice to see their first few tiers of buildings start out rather simple. As they advance through the tiers, they could become much more creative in how they construct their structures.

I totally agree! I think the first few stages will be simple design. Things will really start to ramp up on their unique architecture once we hit the city phase. They’ve had access to the Essence for 1000+ years, whereas the other races are just now rediscovering it, so I think it makes sense their structures will have a more magical design to them.
    u5l8c6eyozf7.png
  • Options
    In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit Tulnar.

I'm not sure what to expect about their architecture, but, having spent a long time underground, it should have left an impact. Maybe they still prefer underground dwellings. It could be carved rocks "catacomb" like or the type with grass as a roof... turf house.

Derinkuyu-768x512.jpg

f7f1039ff879ac058434b9fe3e8b8e11.jpg

310f76411d.jpg

Fancier than those, of course.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    Gaul_ wrote: »
    Great starter post. I did do some digging and found that the some of the buildings in the Dream Nodes Concept art matches Sitari Sladeborne concept art from the March 2021 livestream. The watchtower is a match as well.

Awesome find! I bet you’re right and what we’re seeing in this image isn’t a true representation of Tulnar architecture. It’s likely just a basic rendition they threw out for us.
    u5l8c6eyozf7.png
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    I expect Tulnar to have influences from all the other races, seeing as they are a mixed race from the other races.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing a sort of mixing of the other influences with a touch of something else that makes the Tulnar aesthetic unique. I know that's probably easier said than done, but it'd make sense that the Tulnar would be influenced by their ancestors
  • Options
    So take little bits of inspiration from each of the other racial architecture designs and apply a “magical” touch to it?

That could get tricky to find something that actually looks good.
    u5l8c6eyozf7.png
  • Options
    ShabooeyShabooey Member
    edited October 2023
    The Tulnar are a really exciting race I think, looking forward to making one. If they were wanting to keep the racial influences from real world elements, they could have an ancient Egyptian theme as they were quite into animal/human crossover.

Just a random question for everyone, would you be happy if they made it so their racial style couldn't be a Node aesthetic just yet?
    If maybe they kept it a mystery until the first expansion, then they could really open up the underrealm and that's when you ser Tulnar archetectur? It might give them time to flesh out what their racial aesthetic is, like lots have said, giving them their own style might be tricky given the other stuff they have to do.
  • Options
    Percimes wrote: »
    310f76411d.jpg

Fancier than those, of course.

Good point.
    How will the tulnar influence the nodes on the surface?
    And how will all the other races make the underground nodes look?
    Will we have 2 versions for each race, with buildings meant to be embedded into rock and buildings on surface?
  • Options
    Shabooey wrote: »
    The Tulnar are a really exciting race I think, looking forward to making one. If they were wanting to keep the racial influences from real world elements, they could have an ancient Egyptian theme as they were quite into animal/human crossover.

Just a random question for everyone, would you be happy if they made it so their racial style couldn't be a Node aesthetic just yet?
    If maybe they kept it a mystery until the first expansion, then they could really open up the underrealm and that's when you ser Tulnar archetectur? It might give them time to flesh out what their racial aesthetic is, like lots have said, giving them their own style might be tricky given the other stuff they have to do.

I'd certainly be disappointed at first, but knowing it'd come later would lessen that. I'd rather the other stuff in the game be polished a lot more than for IS to feel rushed, for sure. It'd certainly seem a little jarring to see a Tulnar-influenced node change from one to the other after the application of an expansion, but...doesn't seem like that big a deal tbh.
  • Options
    Anyone familiar with 'The Elderscrolls' series? My hot take is that the Tul'nar will be something like the Falmer and House Redoran.
    MY Own NIckle Co-operates with an EYE. -Mīonikoī.
  • Options
    I think it's a very interesting question. I agree that there would probably be aspects that have been combined from the other races. But I don't think you should discount inspiration from some of pictures we've seen from the Underrealm: large open caverns with a lot of biolumenescence. I don't think they just tucked themselves away in little cracks in the rock. At least I hope not for the art team's sake.

They would want to hold on to what they knew from before on the surface, but eventually it would start to evolve and be influenced by what was around them. I'm interested to see what they do for the Tulnar.
  • Options
    I'd like biolumenesent mushroom hats to be a thing.
    MY Own NIckle Co-operates with an EYE. -Mīonikoī.
  • Options
    Mionikoi wrote: »
    I'd like biolumenesent mushroom hats to be a thing.

100%
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Imoxator wrote: »
    Tulnar was a Kickstarter stretch goal, a 'bonus' race not part of the core scope of the game,

The purpose of the post is to bring attention to the lack of information we do have, as well as provide ideas to developers on how they could design Tulnar racial cosmetics and architecture. We haven’t seen much information on them yet because, exactly as you stated, they are a stretch goal. Same reason why naval warfare information is limited. But I disagree with the assumption that they likely won’t have unique architecture or racial armor.

However you look at it, Tulnar will have architecture and racial cosmetics at launch. They can’t not, even if it’s a carbon copy of Kaelar design. Would you rather have the designers go the lazy route and copy another race’s designs, or help them come up with something unique that thematically makes sense?

I think they’ll be something like “Wise. Noble. Unmovable”

We could just delete the SPQR elves for Tulnar.
  • Options
    could just be an amalgamation of the other races ancient architecture with visual twists influenced by the underworld environment.