Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Some type of DJ GM system...

Would it at all be feasible to implement some sort of system, where Ashes could hire people to specifically be a dungeon master over certain areas the game world throughout the day. Perhaps they could dynamically change the background music to something more calming or more epic sounding here or there. Maybe even dynamically control weather effects (rain, shine, cloudy, fog, etc...). Or even spawn events around a group of players where he thinks needs shaken up a little bit. Does that sound good to anyone else?... Like that would be a gigantic improvement over running the same 10 events that spawn in the same 10 places on every map? Or maybe liven up the game? Or am I the crazy one?

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Taaku wrote: »
    Would it at all be feasible to implement some sort of system, where Ashes could hire people to specifically be a dungeon master over certain areas the game world throughout the day. Perhaps they could dynamically change the background music to something more calming or more epic sounding here or there. Maybe even dynamically control weather effects (rain, shine, cloudy, fog, etc...). Or even spawn events around a group of players where he thinks needs shaken up a little bit. Does that sound good to anyone else?... Like that would be a gigantic improvement over running the same 10 events that spawn in the same 10 places on every map? Or maybe liven up the game? Or am I the crazy one?

puts a whole new level to the term of live service gaming lol

It's definitely feasible but not likely. Could just not hire people and have players sign up as DM. Either way, not likely to happen due to in-game issues occurring.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2023
    There are plans for a robust system of live service GMs (actual Intrepid employees, not volunteer players) already in place that will be handling tickets and problems in game. They have spoken to in the past of those people running individual events tailored to each server. Since they will have many, many servers it has to be an organized process to avoid the appearance of favoritism. If only Steven ever shows up on Server One, descends from the heavens and showers the populace with gifts, then those on Servers 2-10 are going to cry foul. So will you see some sort of live GM events? Yes, but they will be either announced, or planned as an overall thing that will hit every server in some way over the course of a period of time to avoid the issue of "my server never gets picked, and that server over there, cause they speak German, and we know Steven loves the Germans, they get more stuff than us!" (use as an example, we have no proof of a German loving Steven)
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    I think we have reached the stage where you don't need to employ someone for that. An automated system can do exactly the same thing for a fraction of the costs
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    And that is what the Event System they showcased last month is. The OPs question was will there be a live service component in addition to it. And from multiple statements from Intrepid there will be.

The direction that I'm taking Intrepid as a company in is that a significant portion of the revenue created by the game goes into not only creating additional content and updates for the game but also goes into I think caretaking, as I like to call it; and that caretaking is multiple things: It's having active and present GM's on servers. It's having a an interacting community team that is always present and on-call for participating in forum discussions and streams and updates.[4] – Steven Sharif

There will not be Game master (GM) run events initially, but the systems are in place to add these in the future.[10]
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    In Darkfall you occasionaly had a GM take control of a monster and attack player cities from time to time :p just casual Gm taking control of a fire dragon and do a fly by of a player city shooting fire at everyone inside was rather amusing was like o shit take cover in the closest building :D
  • Options
    spicing up the game to reduce the repetitive nature of some activities would be welcome
  • Options
    I remember during the introduction of air drops in Escape From Tarkov, the founder/developer apparently had a red button on his desk to deploy air drops across every open lobby simultaneously.

But that's kind of a different situation around design etc.
  • Options
    SweatycupSweatycup Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2023
    In asherons call the GMs took control from start to finish of certain storyline characters in events. The problem is that no matter what you do the players will find a way to break the system or plot. However as long as the players are fine with such a outcome it can work. It works particularly well for things like monsters that may be super powerful but require no particular storyline outcome. Not so good for story driven stuff (the GM will need to be able to stay on their tip toes. In some cases they may need to be on for over 24hours because of player choices unless they can force them to complete said thing. Its not easy!). I do hope to see this every now and again but probably don't expect to see any story driven stuff dependent directly upon players to complete. The fact players may choose as a server to withhold from various actions and do the damnest things, it has happened before in said scenario where GM’s have to literally force the players to complete or just end said event.
  • Options
    TaerrikTaerrik Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Honestly, for the days I get some RP going, would be pretty cool to be able to call on a GM to help set conditions and such for planned event. Could have he event DM be talking to the GM about things that could be done.

Monsters spawned, local weather change, etc.

Though to be fair, I am a lot more interested in the planned character sheets for RP in game than something like live service GM for player use.
  • Options
    AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    i have a strong suspicion you will find Stephen jumping from server to server to stir things up...
  • Options
    Yeah you don't need anyone to actually work on this in live. This will already be in place. Automated.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif