Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Mob dies: is the loot on the ground or in mobs' "backpack"?

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new here and still didn't read the whole AoC Wiki page ^^ so I'm sorry if this was already discussed or even decided a long time ago, but I just wanted to double check if the system is already set in stone about how the loot "looks like" after the mob dies? Do I see the model of and the count of animal skin/skins dropped when I kill the bear on the ground when I hover over the mouse on the textured drop model (which in few seconds could be taken and lootable by anyone crossing the path) or is it more like wow's mobs' backpack? Saw this message in wiki, but don't know if I understood it correctly so please be free to :blush:

h86w57791yhd.png

Comments

• Options
    So far it looks like it's gonna be "backpacks". Don't remember if they ever mentioned changing that design.
  • Options
    As far as I know you cannot take someone elses loot just because you clicked faster. This has been primarily discussed in the primary context of group gameplay but will most likely hold true when doing something solo - because why develop a separate loot mechanic for that when you can just consider them a "group of one"?

So either loot right for a mob goes to the player with the highest contribution in its killing or it will be split amongst the contributors - if that is possible (might not always be the case).
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    unless something is hidden in the old prison wallet... chances are backpack with everything mentioned above haha
  • Options
    We currently don't know but i believe it will most likely be "backpacks" like most MMORPGs, because it is simply easier than making the 3D models of every single dropped item in the ground like Lineage 2 did.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    We currently don't know but i believe it will most likely be "backpacks" like most MMORPGs, because it is simply easier than making the 3D models of every single dropped item in the ground like Lineage 2 did.
    Also, the server load of keeping all those items tracked. And as Steven mentioned before, having the potential to have things on the ground would imply being able to throw things on the ground, and that's abusable.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    NiKr wrote: »
    Also, the server load of keeping all those items tracked. And as Steven mentioned before, having the potential to have things on the ground would imply being able to throw things on the ground, and that's abusable.

Like when Steven brought up how he covered the ground in mass loot to lag out the server so the opposing team couldn't win the battle. I forget which mmorpg he was talking about specifically though.. lol
  • Options
    Like when Steven brought up how he covered the ground in mass loot to lag out the server so the opposing team couldn't win the battle. I forget which mmorpg he was talking about specifically though.. lol
    L2 :D that and planting christmas trees were a classic way to mess up your enemies' performance and could in fact potentially fuck up the entire server.
  • Options

Understood. I guess it's a very personal thing, but I got so emotionally attached to the idea of how good the game design was made to "hear" the full drop in L2 when it's chance to drop is 1/350.000 (an example) and how much excitement and adrenaline rushes through the body at that point that I couldn't think about any other better loot drop design idea than this. I think it added such a huge extra layer on the game. But ofc, I am not a developer, so just an opinion as a consumer of a very particular game for a very long time.
  • Options
    Please just leave the mob's body there as lootable, like older mmo rpgs like wow classic did.

The feeling of actually looting the dead mobs body is so much better than clicking on a backpack of sack or something like that.
  • Options
    Ironhope wrote: »
    Please just leave the mob's body there as lootable, like older mmo rpgs like wow classic did.

The feeling of actually looting the dead mobs body is so much better than clicking on a backpack of sack or something like that.

In this discussion we refer to "backpack" what your mentioned classic wow did.
  • Options
    Understood. I guess it's a very personal thing, but I got so emotionally attached to the idea of how good the game design was made to "hear" the full drop in L2 when it's chance to drop is 1/350.000 (an example) and how much excitement and adrenaline rushes through the body at that point that I couldn't think about any other better loot drop design idea than this. I think it added such a huge extra layer on the game. But ofc, I am not a developer, so just an opinion as a consumer of a very particular game for a very long time.
    One of my core memories is dropping a DLE on the 5th floor of TOI as a solo SK. I was pulling one mob at a time, spending a shitton of time killing them and then sitting on my ass regening, but when that DLE hit the floor I almost fell out of my chair :D I called half my PC cafe to witness it, cause A grade was still a huge deal at the time B)

I wish Ashes went for the same design, but I understand why they probably won't.
  • Options
    ArnasPanikaArnasPanika Member
    edited October 2023
    Woah. So your stated experience did even evoke feels in me that can't be faked ^^ This sounds huge buddy, so much luck, such a low chance, and that sound of DLE dropping on those cold and dark stone floor in TOI..
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    One of my core memories is dropping a DLE on the 5th floor of TOI as a solo SK. I was pulling one mob at a time, spending a shitton of time killing them and then sitting on my ass regening, but when that DLE hit the floor I almost fell out of my chair :D I called half my PC cafe to witness it, cause A grade was still a huge deal at the time B)

I wish Ashes went for the same design, but I understand why they probably won't.

then someone pk you and took it xDDD

i get the sound hing, it happens to me as well, but at the end of the day im just pressing E on a mob or clicking lol.

i wish drops would go to my inventory automatically lol yes im lazy to pick them up T_T plus faster exping
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited October 2023
    Depraved wrote: »
    i get the sound hing, it happens to me as well, but at the end of the day im just pressing E on a mob or clicking lol.
    It's not just the sound. It's that fully rendered piece of gear that drops on the floor, instead of the usual mats and gold.

The sheer adrenaline and dopamine hit this gives you can push you to play the game for much longer. Seeing a new icon on a list is nowhere near close to that imo.

Also, one of the other core memories for me was finding a full Doom mage body just lying in grass under a tree. I was farming near to it and was simply spamming pick up button, when my character suddenly ran a bit too far and I saw what I picked up. This kind of thing wouldn't happen with backpacks either.

In other words, it's about the small things that keep you going even if the game might've started feeling a bit stale (or at least the grind has). I remember these events for a reason. They were huge spikes in excitement during my gameplay, and you need those in the game not only to have these kinds of stories to tell but to keep the game exciting.
  • Options
    yeah but the sound only happens when you drop a full piece of gear. but you can still drop the full piece of gear and loot it from the mob instead of it dropping on the floor xD

i think you wont be able to get full items from mobs in aoc though, just certificates
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    i think you wont be able to get full items from mobs in aoc though, just certificates
    Yeah, which only makes me wonder even harder how does Intrepid intent to prevent the game from feeling grindy as hell. We'll have to see.
  • Options
    nothing wrong with grinding ;3
    but i suppose most people dont like it.

i really like staying in one spot, killing mobs for hours (and the faster i can kill them the better). i prefer it over spending hours walking around questing.
  • Options
    unless something is hidden in the old prison wallet... chances are backpack with everything mentioned above haha

Prison Wallet ? OHHHHH !!! * Devil Artemis Zarbon Moan in the Distance *
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Aszkalon wrote: »

Prison Wallet ? OHHHHH !!! * Devil Artemis Zarbon Moan in the Distance *

That's where the rare items with low % drop rates are hidden when looting lol