Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Suggestion] Slurred Speech for Drunk Player Characters

TeylouneTeyloune Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited October 2023 in General Discussion
Hejo,

Wouldn't it be fun if our characters slurred their speech (when using text chat) when they are drunk?

The effect of slurring of speech would roughly last until the drunkenness effect wears off.
So, if you want the effect to last longer, simply drink more.
It would change up what a Player Character says in Chat, their text.

When I type: "So what were you saying about the dungeon?"
It might come out as: "Ssho what were you shayin' 'bout the dun...Hic! dun-dungeon?"
:D

Why add this to the game?
It would be amusing.
Fun.
It's good when games are fun.

On a basic level, it should be rather simple to impliment this, just some character replacement for text, introducing delays, and adding some hiccups.

Comments

• Options
    I'd be only ok with this if there's no gameplay impact from booze-type drinks/consumables.

If some "beer" gives you a stat that could be used in some circumstance and then it also messes up your chat - I'm against that.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Are we sure the toons will have speech?
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    Are we sure the toons will have speech?

It's confirmed chat bubbles will be a feature - while voice-acting will not.

Slurred speech seems highly un-needed, and reeks of feature-creep. Would oppose this.

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Oh no. I still remember the lag in Coronet from thousands of speech bubbles...Hoping technology has evolved enough to prevent the lag in Ashes.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    Oh no. I still remember the lag in Coronet from thousands of speech bubbles...Hoping technology has evolved enough to prevent the lag in Ashes.

At prime time I don't think I ever had more than 1 frame in Coronet. Good times
  • Options
    Teyloune wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be fun if our characters slurred their speech (when using text chat) when they are drunk?

Nah, not really.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Could be funny, could be irritating lol

In relation to speech bubbles. I imagine they're a proximity/range thing depending on method
    IE
    /say vs /yell
    /group vs /raid

obviously toggle on or off for each option as well.
  • Options
    WoW used to do this, and make it to where you couldn't run straight... Don't know if it still does that though
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited October 2023
    NiKr wrote: »
    I'd be only ok with this if there's no gameplay impact from booze-type drinks/consumables.

If some "beer" gives you a stat that could be used in some circumstance and then it also messes up your chat - I'm against that.

Everquest beer would give you a str bonus (i think stam too) and reduce ur int/wis and charisma by alot :P it would also fuck up your field fo view and stretch it out and u would wobble from side to side slightly lol
    Pretty sure it randomly inserted random letters in what you type aswell occasionaly

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Animations for being drunk would be fun.
    Players can mess around with their speech whenever they wish. No need for the game to provide that.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »

I have the opposite opinion. Drinking is a leisure activity you do at a tavern during downtime, not something you do right before a high-stakes raid. It should have its own affects that are conducive to RP or just mucking about.

To that end, why not have alcohol affect all your skills? Throwing a fireball while drunk could have it go zipping around like a deflating balloon. A forward charge could turn into a cartwheeling wipeout halfway through. Imagine a drunken barfight between two belligerent Dunir, or a contest to see who can down the most booze before blacking out.

If it's not going to impact gameplay at all, why even have it? RP is all well and good, but playing pretend in the chatbox can only do so much.
  • Options
    Solmyr wrote: »
    If it's not going to impact gameplay at all, why even have it? RP is all well and good, but playing pretend in the chatbox can only do so much.
    I meant positive buffs or anything of the sort. If drinks have any kind of positive gameplay effect - I don't want them to mess up all the other gameplay-related actions.