Skinning & butchering

NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited November 2023 in General Discussion
With the recent talk of glint, I went to refresh my knowledge on skinning and butchering, because that has to be a thing for the tanning and leatherworking and cooking professions I thought, and I had just forgotten about it. It turns out I didn't actually forget anything, because it looks like we have close to zero information about it.

Steven said this one time: "Like a large mine that's present and has a vein of mithril ore in it, or a herd of some type of animal that you can collect fur or wool from". So yeah, we get to collect fur and wool from wild animals. But as drops on top of glint? Or like a a resource node with a knife as a tool used on the carcass? The latter makes the most sense to me, but from that famous pig video, we see that Steven got pig meat and pig hide directly in his inventory when he killed the pig. No skinning or butchering required.

Hunting is supposedly a gathering profession, but it only really mentions taming as a sub-task and then goes on to animal husbandry and combat pets. Still, it could be that hunting is the main gathering skill for skinning and butchering, and it just hasn't been mentioned yet.

Am I missing something? Because until we know more, it looks like animals will drop hide and meat directly when killed, no skill required.

Comments

• https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Glint

replaces the certificates with rainbow tier glint stones same thing essentially.
    only really been discussed about being used as a currency to acquire commodities in recent video

most of what you're asking is essentially in the first points on the wiki.

What you're comparing is livestock vs wild beasts in terms of meat.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I've read that section, and that talks about glint. I understand glint :smile: My question is not about glint. Mobs also drop crafting materials.

Steven has said we will get fur and wool from wild animals, and my assumption is meat as well, but we don't know for sure without confirmation obviously.

My question is more about that process. If it's automatic like in that pig video, or if we need to actively perform a gathering action, and if I have missed some information about that.
  • Nerror wrote: »
    I've read that section, and that talks about glint. I understand glint :smile: My question is not about glint. Mobs also drop crafting materials.

Steven has said we will get fur and wool from wild animals, and my assumption is meat as well, but we don't know for sure without confirmation obviously.

My question is more about that process. If it's automatic like in that pig video, or if we need to actively perform a gathering action, and if I have missed some information about that.

oh haha. Yeah I haven't seen any confirmation on wild beasts dropping meat upon death. I want to say yes because of how commodities work? but livestock will provide more quality and abundance?

The main difference is the method used. The livestock (pig) was a hold button to perform the action of slaughter vs using abilities to kill and then preform a harvest. Should have to perform a harvest animation in my opinion.

Many games usually have both loot pool and harvest pool with professions having proficiency with yields but since how liberal professions currently are compared to other games, maybe? lol. Seems like almost anyone would be able to generally skin/harvest with a chance to drop glint on wild beasts.
  • from what I can tell there will be no skinning/butchering wild animals via hunting. just loot drops. Though I could see there being a skinning knife tool you can have crafted for hunting that allows you a chance to "double" loot a corpse for more meat/hides. I think that would be the best way to go about it, as you can scale the chance of it happening, have the hunter specialize in increasing the chance for rare materials through talent and gear choices etc.

Just need more info at this point though, I'm not really sure how they can justify calling it hunting if its mostly about getting live pets/livestock ya know?
    8vf24h7y7lio.jpg
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Sathrago wrote: »
    from what I can tell there will be no skinning/butchering wild animals via hunting. just loot drops. Though I could see there being a skinning knife tool you can have crafted for hunting that allows you a chance to "double" loot a corpse for more meat/hides. I think that would be the best way to go about it, as you can scale the chance of it happening, have the hunter specialize in increasing the chance for rare materials through talent and gear choices etc.

Just need more info at this point though, I'm not really sure how they can justify calling it hunting if its mostly about getting live pets/livestock ya know?

By that logic, Pokémon trainers are hunters then lol But I suppose tracking and taming can be categorised in with hunting by the same logic as hunting was the act of capturing and/or killing. Dead or alive!
  • Sathrago wrote: »
    from what I can tell there will be no skinning/butchering wild animals via hunting. just loot drops. Though I could see there being a skinning knife tool you can have crafted for hunting that allows you a chance to "double" loot a corpse for more meat/hides. I think that would be the best way to go about it, as you can scale the chance of it happening, have the hunter specialize in increasing the chance for rare materials through talent and gear choices etc.

By that logic, Pokémon trainers are hunters then lol But I suppose tracking and taming can be categorised in with hunting by the same logic as hunting was the act of capturing and/or killing. Dead or alive!

eh yeah I guess its just arguing semantics at that point so it *can* work. Im just used to using hunt in conjunction with the tracking and killing of animals for food, materials, sport, etc.
    8vf24h7y7lio.jpg
  • SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It might just mean killing something and getting a skin/meat drop in the wild. Like BDO. But in BDO you had to use a hunting rifle for example.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Neurath wrote: »
    It might just mean killing something and getting a skin/meat drop in the wild. Like BDO. But in BDO you had to use a hunting rifle for example.

oof. bdo hunting felt wrong.
    8vf24h7y7lio.jpg
  • edited November 2023
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Sathrago wrote: »

eh yeah I guess its just arguing semantics at that point so it *can* work. Im just used to using hunt in conjunction with the tracking and killing of animals for food, materials, sport, etc.

that's fair, :smile: It usually does result in tracking and killing. Live stock were originally wild species and kept alive through agriculture and breeding for domestication. Most of those farm species wouldn't be alive today as nature is quite cruel with survival. I usually consider hunting as the action and not result.

If you look up agriculture and live stock the term animal husbandry is evidently there haha
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

oh haha. Yeah I haven't seen any confirmation on wild beasts dropping meat upon death. I want to say yes because of how commodities work? but livestock will provide more quality and abundance?

kdgqp69pa8aq.png

Steven was answering a question specifically about monsters drop tables, so with "many things" other than glint and knowing mobs wont drop finished gear its safe to assume its mats/resources
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • edited November 2023
    Liniker wrote: »

kdgqp69pa8aq.png

Steven was answering a question specifically about monsters drop tables, so with "many things" other than glint and knowing mobs wont drop finished gear its safe to assume its mats/resources

Makes sense to have that in the loot pool or drop tables if you prefer haha.