Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

My Characters Story - Vosestian Agatsuma

VosphaVospha Member
edited November 2023 in Role-Playing Tavern
I wanted to make this discussion to show my story I have created that sets the scene for my character in the world of Verra, the reason I did this is because it adds a bit more immersion to the world for me and I feel like my character didn't just appear into existance. This is the first time I have ever done something like this so I apologies if some inconsistencies appear in the story, I did try keep everything in line with the lore of Ashes and other parts of the story.

I have to say a huge shout out to Trojan in Hand of Unity for essentially being my Quality Assurance for the story and a thank you to everyone else in hand of unity for reading my story and either enjoyed it or gave feedback. I also want to encourage others to repond to this with their own stories, I want to know who you all are going to be!

Please note: If you do not like reading, I will be creating a YouTube video on my channel which you can find my just searching for Vospha over the next few weeks reading this story. So if you'd rather listen to my awful story telling voice then you can wait for that haha

Enjoy the Story of Vosestian Agatsuma

Where it all started
In the first instance there was a populated land full of wonderful creatures known as Pyrian Elves. The Pyrian kingdom’s borders encompassed the great forest of Erinthia and within this forest was a group called the Agatsuma clan of 5 Members. Yavanna Agatsuma - a High Priestess and the healer of the party. Tara Konami - A Soul Weaver who was the support for the front liners. Holdir Kagetora - The Knight who kept the attention of any foes who dare challenge them. Auriel Ogami - A Scout which kept the party safe with constant recon of the area as they travelled. Vertius Agatsuma - A Shadowmancer with the affinity to manipulate the shadows to create summons and the leader of the Agatsuma clan.

This clan travelled together for around 10 years. The clan traversed Verra in search of adventure. Yavanna and Vertius got married around 9 years into their Verran travels and the clan was successful when it came to conflict in the world. Yavanna and Tara’s negotiation and de-escalation skills proved useful – Brutes were kept at bay. Vertius and Holdir preferred a violent approach to the resolution of conflict. Unbeknownst to both, this would cause the end of the Agatsuma clan.

Yavanna and Vertius gave birth to a child once married. Whom was named Vosestian. The dangerous group stayed together and continued on adventures. The dangerous group tackled wild beasts and monsters wherever found. Vosestian showed promise at a young age for the Essence and was capable of summoning from the age of 1. However the group got into a conflict at a small freehold tavern in the Kaela Riverlands. Vosestian saw his mother thrown to the floor by brutes and his father pinched to the wall with a blade to his neck.

A bright flash engulfed the Tavern in flames and the brutes were burned to a crisp with powerful fire magic; the clan barely escaped. Yavanna knew her child possessed great power and long arguments with Vertius erupted about Vosestians magical capabilities. Yavanna wanted Vosestian to live a normal life and not be used as a war tool. Yavanna stormed off with Vosestian and ran into the forests. Yavanna decided to take Vosestians to someone capable of a resolute Mortal Coil in which one couldn’t be a conduit for The Essence and couldn’t use magic.

The Disaster
Yavanna met with a mysterious woman who claimed she could speak to the Gods and had foresight into the future because of this. She would not seal Vosestian’s powers and the mysterious woman mentioned ‘The Great Calamity’. She encouraged Yavanna to let Vosestian undertake an apprenticeship. The mysterious woman wanted to raise Vosestian to achieve a destined outcome. Yavanna was enraged and ran into the forest once more. She began to return to the clan to calm down and thought about the possibilities.
Yavanna stalked through the forest with purpose but a man appeared from behind a tree. The mysterious man approached Yavanna and said “I can seal the child's soul and the child will live a life free of war. The bargain will cost a great deal however.”
Yavanna replied “I’ll do whatever I can to give my child a peaceful future.”
“Very well,” the mysterious man responded.
The mysterious man proceeded with his ritual and sealed Vosestian's soul. Vosestian no longer had a connection to the ‘Essence’ once the ritual was complete. Yavanna heard screams from the distance and saw flames engulf the clan’s camp. Yavanna took Vosestian and ran to the camp. Yavanna found the clan members burnt to a crisp. Yavanna knelt with concern and held Vosestian close; tears fell like raindrops and hearts shattered like glass. Yavanna discovered Vertius’ corpse due to the wedding ring on his hand. Yavanna felt a sharp blade brush across her neck with a faint whisper “This is the price.” A familiar voice said. “I’ll take the child.”
Yavanna fell to the floor, weakened and unable to move. Yavanna watched the mysterious man who’d sealed her childs powers and now walked into the distance.

The making of a Hunter
15 years passed and Vosestian’s 16th birthday was due to arrive. For 15 years Vosestian was raised by a religious group that goes by ‘Order of hope’. Vosestian was the only Pyrian within this organisation as it was an Aelan human order based in the capital city of Aela. Vosestian had never been to the city and the group had stayed hidden in the forest: Elves had colonised the Riverlands for around 50 years. Some humans never accepted the colonisation and Vosestian was kept hidden from the orders higher ranking members.
At the age of 16 the order sent the children out on adventure. The children put their education to good use in real life situations; many didn’t survive but the challenge showed how the world should be.

Vosestian was privileged thanks to the order leader. The mysterious man had tested Vosestian to see what Vosestian was capable of. The order found Vosestian was unable to use magic which was unheard of for an Elf. Vosestian tried different roles but no couldn’t gain enough strength to maintain the educational requirements. Vosestian was shunned by the Mages, shunned by the Warriors and welcomed by the Rangers. Vosestian was 10 when the first bow was bequeathed: Vosestian found affinities with the wild and synergies with the skills. Vosestian trained with the bow day and night. Vosestian perfected the craft at a young age and the honed skills gave Vosestian an independent edge.

Vosestian laid in bed one night and wondered about the lack of essence inside. Vosestian wondered why the essence was dormant within. Vosestian tried relentlessly but little ever changed. The night grew lighter and a spark ignited. Vosestian felt attuned. Vosestian felt alive. The spark came from his palm and looked like blue stars. Vosestian felt confused and struggled to replicate the feat. Vosestian wanted the ability to use the essence but couldn’t figure out how the essence was used.

Vosestian awoke and set out for adventure. Leaving the order behind but never forgot the education or the brotherhood. He had been uncertain of his desires but now Vosestian understood more about his destiny. He set out to learn of the essence and to discover how to become one with the essence.

The Ruins
Vosestian wandered for two weeks and began to wonder about the received education. Vosestian hadn’t seen a single soul and no monsters on the journey. Laughter erupted nearby and Vosestian decided to be cautious. Vosestian snuck closer to the laughter and sought to discover the source.

Bandits rested in some ruins and looked through loot bags; books and old relics were left in the mud. Vosestian was about to leave when an elven corpse inside a cage drew the attention; the corpse looked female and the end looked grim. Vosestian levelled the bow and flew over the ruins. Vosestian harnessed old lessons and practised ancient skills. Vosestian killed each bandit in turn and found the rage difficult to control. Bodies piled high and bodies were burnt fast. The elven remains were released and set in a proper grave. Vosestian turned to the bandit loot, books and old relics.

Vosestian was drawn to the books and old relics first. Vosestian searched for a hidden knowledge and discovered a hidden trove. The surprise shook Vosestian to the core. Vosestian had never heard others with the same last name, however, there the name was followed by ‘Agatsuma clan.’ The words were faded but legible. Vosestian read each page and devoured the contents.
He realised the books mentioned his name a few times. Discovering the names of Yavanna and Vertius. Vosestian understood both must have been his mother and father. He about his father who was a powerful summoner and about his mother who was a high priestess. Vosestian couldn’t understand why the essence lay dormant if both of his parents wielded the essence with great skill.
The book divulged the mythical monsters once tackled over the course of 10 years. How Vosestian’s parents had given birth around 9 years into their journey. Vosestian searched for similar books but could not find a single one a like. He craved the knowledge of why his parents had given him away.

The Great Calamity
Years passed but Vosestian found nought. He still couldn’t use the essence; it seemed like the gates of hell had been opened and the reason was because of beings known as ‘The Ancients’ and ‘The Others’. The Ancients flowed out of conduits that opened in the center of the harbingers which were comet-like celestial bodies that arrived in Verra and triggered the start of the apocalypse.

Vosestian hadn’t visited the Pyrian kingdom in all these years; yet, it was the closest major city. Vosestian ran into the city and saw the ‘Divine gateway’. The Divine Gateway had been granted by divine intervention from the Goddess of Creation. Vosestian and others fled through the gateways and sought refuge in a world void of magic; the world was named Sanctus.

Sanctus didn’t appear special to Vosestian as he still couldn’t use the essence. Vosestian found the matter filled with confusion as to why everyone was so distraught about not being able to use the essence in Sanctus. Vosestian was infuriated by the issues because Vosestian couldn’t find progress in the situation. Vosestian was concerned about the future but matters unfolded contrary to popular opinion.

Vosestian met with a strange woman in her 30s. The strange woman followed Vosestian for some time but Vosestian didn’t want to confront the strange woman. Vosestian wanted to avoid the strange woman where possible. The strange woman was persistent and appeared at breakfast in a tavern.
“You can’t use the essence can you?” The strange woman said with a smug grin on her face.
“We’re in a world void of magic.” Vosestian said. “Of course I can't use the essence”.
The strange woman appeared to be amused and the strange woman exuded maniacal laughter. The strange woman explained hidden knowledge and knew about Vosestian’s soul seal. The strange woman even confessed the soul seal could be removed. Vosestian demanded to hear more and invited the strange woman to eat.
“I’ll tell you about your seal.” The strange woman said. “I’ll tell you about your mother”.

The strange woman proceeded and explained how his mother could’ve stopped the great calamity. The strange woman proceeded further and explained his mother’s stubbornness had stopped Vosestian from greatness on Verra. Vosestian decided to listen and Vosestian trusted the strange woman. Vosestian was still keen to discover fresh leads. The strange woman promised to teach Vosestian how to remove the soul seal.
“The bargain will cost a great deal however.” The strange woman said. which gave Vosestian a chilld down his spine. “I never want to be alone.” She said. “So be it.” Vosestian responded.

Vosestian spent a lifetime with the strange woman; soon to be called Sarah. Sarah taught Vosestian how to remove the soul seal but was soon found on her deathbed.
“Thank you, Vosestian.” Sarah said. “You must search for Zanktis: Use his magic to break the seal as I have shown you; you lack other options and his magic is the only magic compatible with the seal now”.

The Homecoming
Vosestian searched Sanctus but couldn’t find Zanktis. Vosestian assumed Zanktis would be another elf. Millennia passed and the gateways became dormant. A myriad of calamities came until the ancient pylons awakened and paved the way home back to Verra. Upon passing through the gateways Vosestian set out to join a guild and search for Zanktis. The soul seals were still restricted and the soul seals still needed to be removed.

Vosestian still carried his parents' journal and continued to read about the Agatsuma Clan. He hoped to take after his father once his magic was released and wanted to learn how to use summoning magic. He went on many adventures and found affinities with amazing people. Vosestian created his own journal and documented his own adventures in hopes to share his travels with his children one day as his parents' had.