Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Game Rating and how that will work (or not)

wiki
YouTube Interview

I'll be frank. I don't think AoC can manage to be a T rated game. I don't see this game being rated mature because of any content that might be added to it.

Being M rated because of an adult community? Yes. I don't foresee them allowing full on nudity, drugs, excessive gore, blood, and swearing.

I don't believe there are many MMOs that have enough adult content to warrant their rating.

However, adults as a player base is a different story.

What do you think? Do you want certain mature features in the game? Do you want certain things to not be left out?
Should it be toggle-able?

Will brothels be a thing in Verra? I am asking for a friend.
MY Own NIckle Co-operates with an EYE. -Mīonikoī.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2023
    https://www.esrb.org/ratings-guide/

I imagine nothing higher than a T rating considering the design of the game. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was E 10+. Game does feel like it's designed between E10+ and T. At least in the country I live in anyways.

gcta8tgy7bh0.png
    irg6n683k69p.png
    12hf2lyg63fx.png

• Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I suspect that, based on the maturity of most of the posters on this forum, that the preference would be that players are mature, certainly not 12-year-olds. I doubt that the game would appeal to them, the game will have a complex economy, difficult to understand systems, and certainly a lot more going on than many games.

None of this really applies to the rating, of course, but I don't think AoC is aiming for a young-teen player base.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    tautau wrote: »
    I suspect that, based on the maturity of most of the posters on this forum, that the preference would be that players are mature, certainly not 12-year-olds. I doubt that the game would appeal to them, the game will have a complex economy, difficult to understand systems, and certainly a lot more going on than many games.

None of this really applies to the rating, of course, but I don't think AoC is aiming for a young-teen player base.

It's based on the design of the game, not the age of people playing it. Lot's of adults that play Fortnite and it's not rated M... lol. The economy isn't going to overwhelm teenagers. Make currency and buy things with that currency.

Let's see..

Do the bodies of players turn to ash or corpses? piles of ash but i suppose we might see some corpses of fantasy beings.
    Is there blood and gore? nope. especially when it comes to combat. Minor things in cosmetics and "carphin" but that's about all we've seen.
    is there strong offensive language in the games design? nope
    Definitely not intense violence.
    Sexual content? most armour sets cover up everything considered "sexual",
    can we expect sexual innuendo? probably not.

Offensive language in chat? sounds like a parental filter feature can handle that.

The games design thresholds literally check the T Rating currently with some touching the E Rating.
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In my country it will likely get a mature flag, because of substance use and gambling mechanisms.

Our ratings seem to be the reverse of the USA where theirs are all about sexual content being the main rating focus.
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    @Natasha I'm guessing you around the EU?
    also... what gambling? Tavern parlor games?

I know they not doing loot boxes and what not afaik

but i guess it would be the PEGI system if EU?

https://pegi.info/what-do-the-labels-mean
  • Options
    Learned something new today.

sbqy1sqhsedy.png
  • Options
    So, establishing what the rating system is and what AoC will likely be, what do you all want?
  • Options
    Mionikoi wrote: »
    So, establishing what the rating system is and what AoC will likely be, what do you all want?

Ugly NPCs and nice baby zombies which run fast and grab you where it hurts.
  • Options
    Raven016 wrote: »

Ugly NPCs and nice baby zombies which run fast and grab you where it hurts.

Yeah, but I don't think AoC is blocky enough for that.
  • Options
    Steven was very concerned that killing the pig might be too brutal and asked if maybe it should be put to sleep.
    If they end up doing so, then I want ugly NPCs and clean zombies.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Steven was very concerned that killing the pig might be too brutal and asked if maybe it should be put to sleep.

brutal? literally no blood spray or wound, the pig just made a noise. It's not like we get to rip and tear through its organs lol. There was a little darkened skin blotch around the neck but that's about it.
  • Options
    It'll probably get the "teen" rating, given the violence. The subject of brothels came up in a Q&A in the Freeholds update when addressing "Inns", and the most it can be is an RP brothel - not a game-supported one.

Ratings shouldn't really depend on the possibility of lewd language and chat-subject content of an in-game chat. The now-defunct Free Realms was a kids' game - but that didn't mean that there was no possibility of adult-themed chat.

• Options

brutal? literally no blood spray or wound, the pig just made a noise. It's not like we get to rip and tear through its organs lol. There was a little darkened skin blotch around the neck but that's about it.

When we catch fish, can we do like Gollum?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqs2sd62ZQI
  • Options

When we catch fish, can we do like Gollum?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqs2sd62ZQI

Interestingly enough, outside of the ESRB standardisation for electronics/video games, the country I reside in is much more liberal compared to US for Television and Movie content ratings. I remember growing up and movies were Rated R in the US but were rated lower here such as Rated 18+ and 14+.

The US always had things rated more severely in comparison. Things may have changed over the decades though.
  • Options
    The US always had things rated more severely in comparison. Things may have changed over the decades though.

Aye, the US here is a bit backwards, compared to places like Europe and Canada. In those places, sexual content is introduced at much younger ages and is the more socially-acceptable content; A British kid will likely see his first love-making scene in a movie before his first on-screen shoot-out. In the states? We're exactly the opposite. Our kids' *cartoons* often have blood and violence.

• Options

Aye, the US here is a bit backwards, compared to places like Europe and Canada. In those places, sexual content is introduced at much younger ages and is the more socially-acceptable content; A British kid will likely see his first love-making scene in a movie before his first on-screen shoot-out. In the states? We're exactly the opposite. Our kids' *cartoons* often have blood and violence.

Quite true. I think even 4 kids does a lot of censoring especially for anime to this date.

mez41lca6mf5.png
  • Options
    Personally, I am okay with blood and gore. I would rather language be more inventive with their slurrs and insults. But my answer to Steven's question is... Let me rip it's head off and wear it as a hat while holding a beating heart kept going through magical electricity.

That kind of brutality doesn't bother me. I'm going to assume that AoC will be like ESO where there will be no children NPCs.
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Australia. But yeah, the tavern game gambling and the alcohol use will probably bump it up to an MA 15+ for us.

But with that you'd get away with a fair amount of gore, violence as well as sex scenes if they're not overly explicit.

Which is inverse to the united states which is much more puritan when it comes to nudity in videogames.
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Natasha wrote: »

Australia. But yeah, the tavern game gambling and the alcohol use will probably bump it up to an MA 15+ for us.

But with that you'd get away with a fair amount of gore, violence as well as sex scenes if they're not overly explicit.

Which is inverse to the united states which is much more puritan when it comes to nudity in videogames.

That's fair I suppose :smile:

I don't know really how the gambling will work in the parlor games. Obviously in-game currency and probably capped for betting so gold sellers and players don't break the economy as easily. I will say though, there is plans for mobile access via apps. This apparently includes the freehold, parlor games etc. last time I checked anyways.
  • Options
    I think, if it's ingame gold for in-game gold... It should be fine, yes? IRL you loose and gain nothing (other than time.)
  • Options
    I would prefer a Mature 18+ Rating simply because any underage players will most likely need their parents help to afford a monthly subscription fee, especially since most will need to use a credit card. If a parent or guardian wants to setup an account and let their children play then that is their determination. I would hate to see the game gimped in anyway simply to comply with a rating system that may or may not be actually informative.
  • Options
    Caww wrote: »
    I would prefer a Mature 18+ Rating simply because any underage players will most likely need their parents help to afford a monthly subscription fee, especially since most will need to use a credit card. If a parent or guardian wants to setup an account and let their children play then that is their determination. I would hate to see the game gimped in anyway simply to comply with a rating system that may or may not be actually informative.

I don't see how it gimps the game if they're designing it around a more friendly design already lol. Lot's of games sold account time cards at retailers online or in person. No credit card required, just a legal transaction.
  • Options
    MionikoiMionikoi Member
    edited November 2023
    Parental Filter-Viva La Dirt League skit
    I would be amused if Intrepid did this. Unleash a bunch of little psychopaths onto the world.
  • Options
    Parental Filter-Viva La Dirt League skit
    I would be amused if Intrepid did this. Unleash a bunch of little psychopaths onto the world.

They have got some pretty good skits over the years :smile: