Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Combat Feedback (minor)

Before I pose this question/request, I’d like to preface with the following: I’ve been loving what I’ve seen with the combat direction so far and know there’s still so much more to be known (augments, weapons list, skill trees, passives, etc.). Ashes being a ‘hybrid’ combat mmo was a huge plus to me. I normally play action combat games, but definitely appreciate a good combat system whether it’s tab or action. In fact guild wars 2 hybrid combat/action cam was among my most favorite. With that out of the way.
Being able to turn the camera via moving my mouse makes all the difference to me vs a click-to-drag camera style. I feel the melee weapon showcase and ranged weapon showcases are still my favorite to this day. I have noticed something however way over a year after these showcases. We rarely get to see the action targeting/action camera anymore. I think seeing some of both in each showcase will help/remind new viewers of this option and show that AOC isn’t PURELY tab. So could we please start seeing this at least to a minimal amount in combat scenarios. The switch back and forth between the two styles in the melee showcase did this perfectly, but it’s been a while and I’d like to see this with other archetypes.
Two things to note. First; Of course Steven is the one who’s playing and obviously will play to his preference and what is more comfortable and a better viewing experience as a result. I’m just proposing brief hybrid combat displays.
Second; there was a comment made by a dev in the original tank showcase in regards to combat being more of a targeting thing and clearing misconceptions. I’m aware of some info on the wiki as well, but wanted to see if this could happen and others felt the same.
- Nyce

Comments

• Options
    I've enjoyed both systems as well regardless of how nuance many games have become from original version to current in terms of hybridisation from all abilities to specific abilities.

Other than the way it's coded on the games side, TT is essentially auto-aim/tracking with limitations to execution between point A and B distance. The lightning arcing around the rock in the mage demonstration is a nice touch but is essentially the same thing as going through the rock in my opinion. Just looks nicer displaying that environment collision exists but ignores LOS to some degree which is still concerning to me. Reminds me of magic bullets and corners lol

Action combat with targeting can be a lot more fun especially if they put the effort into physics and collision which based on what I've seen may not be where I would have put it. I guess I prefer more skill based combat in that regards.

The augments and talents/skills is pretty common. Look at Diablo 3, cleanest UI augment I've seen over many games but that's about as far as my compliments go to that. Even the synergy across the classes isn't something new to me.
  • Options
    JC31JC31 Member
    edited November 2023

The lightning arcing around the rock in the mage demonstration is a nice touch but is essentially the same thing as going through the rock in my opinion. Just looks nicer displaying that environment collision exists but ignores LOS to some degree which is still concerning to me.

Action combat with targeting can be a lot more fun especially if they put the effort into physics and collision which based on what I've seen may not be where I would have put it. I guess I prefer more skill based combat in that regards.

I strongly agree that physics and collision with player characters and non player characters would be an extremely large improvement to the game. Steven has said it could lead to griefing. Player collision was in EQ and I have never been griefed in EQ because of player collision. If there are 10 people standing in one spot at a quest giver, become a bowling ball. It's simple.

If a mage can arc lightning around a large rock, i don't see why a tank can't block a character from moving through him like a ghost.

Let the tank become the large rock. How cool would it be for a mage to arc lightning around the tank.
  • Options
    collision is under used and a great way to balance tanks.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    JC31 wrote: »

The lightning arcing around the rock in the mage demonstration is a nice touch but is essentially the same thing as going through the rock in my opinion. Just looks nicer displaying that environment collision exists but ignores LOS to some degree which is still concerning to me.

I strongly agree that physics and collision with player characters and non player characters would be an extremely large improvement to the game. Steven has said it could lead to griefing. Player collision was in EQ and I have never been griefed in EQ because of player collision. If there are 10 people standing in one spot at a quest giver, become a bowling ball. It's simple.

If a mage can arc lightning around a large rock, i don't see why a tank can't block a character from moving through him like a ghost.

Let the tank become the large rock. How cool would it be for a mage to arc lightning around the tank.

In terms of combat..
    They do have inertia planned to knock players out of the way to reduce some player walling.

The spell physics and collision is a bit open ended currently. Some abilities travel through players to get to the target which we've seen in the PvE. Wouldn't want to make the players think too much about positioning and aiming when they can just mash buttons with aim assist instead.. :smile:

Indirect fire skills

Alpha-2 Chain Lightning arcing around an environmental obstacle.[135]
    Indirect fire skills are targeted skills where the projectiles may path around obstructions that are not in line-of-sight, so long as the maximum distance travelled for the skill is not exceeded.[136][135][137]

This is a prototype concept that is subject to testing and balancing.[137]
    A limited number of these may exist throughout different class kits.[137]

Some abilities might have indirect fire. So, if you have let's say a Archer or Ranger who has the ability to select a Mage as their secondary class; and they might want to augment a Snipe ability in order to go around a corner like an Arcane Archer might have... Some abilities might not care about that line-of-sight. They might care the distance to the target around the corner, or the path that it's taking; and if it's outside that path is too long it might not be able to reach them of course.[136] – Steven Sharif
  • Options
    Unreal engine 5 should be capable of complex physics. Look at Rocket league, that was UE3.
  • Options
    Bumping this as a hope that it’s not too late and I feel the ranger showcase is the perfect time to do so :)
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2023
    tbf we played and saw the action camera during A1, its not hard to understand, even throne and liberty is doing it, at this point I don't think anyone is confused about how it works the moment you say its a hybrid combat game,

also, keep in mind Steven is the one showcasing the game, and he is a tab target player so it would probably not be a very good idea to have him playing with the action camera when people already get annoyed about how he plays in tab mode, imagine with action mode ahah

maybe a quick demonstration during the time he is showing off the skills would be fine but personally, I wouldn't want to see him playing both if it's gonna showcase poorly
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »
    tbf we played and saw the action camera during A1, its not hard to understand, even throne and liberty is doing it, at this point I don't think anyone is confused about how it works the moment you say its a hybrid combat game,

also, keep in mind Steven is the one showcasing the game, and he is a tab target player so it would probably not be a very good idea to have him playing with the action camera when people already get annoyed about how he plays in tab mode, imagine with action mode ahah

maybe a quick demonstration during the time he is showing off the skills would be fine but personally, I wouldn't want to see him playing both if it's gonna showcase poorly
    Yea, I mentioned being a tab enjoyer. It is indeed a better viewing experience if he uses tab. I just found it interesting it hasn’t been shown or utilized on stream in so long. Obviously it still exist , but I often get questions about the hybrid / action camera and have to find stamps for people in a video OVER A YEAR OLD. Even went through gameplay showcases after that one and had no luck (ranged weapon showcase). I agree a small demonstration will suffice
  • Options
    arsnnarsnn Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    tbf we played and saw the action camera during A1, its not hard to understand, even throne and liberty is doing it, at this point I don't think anyone is confused about how it works the moment you say its a hybrid combat game.
    y9b43kuaul5g.png
    The quotes are relatively fresh.

We have seen the things marked as red. Those are the things you as describe as throne and liberty like targeting.

We have not seen the things marked in green, such as templated abilities and crosshairs.

During the plenty combat showcase steven has always answered the questions for action combat, with something like "there will be something like...".
    I dont think Steven had the opportunity to showcase the hybrid combat yet, because there was nothing to show.

As it stands now there is more to see other than just the action camera mode.
    I hope we are gonna see the skill shots this time.
    Or at least a final clarification on the hybrid combat system. Because unlike you claim there is no clear understanding of this.

Have you seen Steven play fortnite? He actually is really good at these kind of things.
    Probably much better than at tab targeting.