Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Enchanting and crafting what do you want to see with enchanting?

In the title what do people want to see with enchanting how it will work with crafting or think about in including RNG, failure and possible destruction. Do you have new ways you might want to see with enchanting?

Comments

• Options
    L2 :)
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Monster Hunter endgame-style slots/sockets.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Azherae wrote: »
    Steven mentioned some sockets. Don't think I heard that before?
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    Steven mentioned some sockets. Don't think I heard that before?

I noticed this as well, but I don't want to get my hopes up too much. You know the design I meant, though, I think. The post was in response to a discussion we were having. (Not necessarily assuming you remember it, but I can find it if people think it is relevant to this discussion).

• Options
    Give more details I'm trying to bring discussion / disagreements so people can realize this is a big deal and start asking questions lol.
  • Options
    Are people fine with RNG gear destruction?
  • Options
    Have to ask an enchanter to enchant an item.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    From this post, edited and shortened from original post. This is what I want.

Sword A of Green Tier has 4 Enhancement slots. Sword B of Purple Tier has 8.

The crafter can put Attack into all slots, but the more Attack in each slot, the harder it is to get the next one in. This is based on total number, not 'number relative to the weapon'.

So it's equally easy to get an Attack +20 Green Tier sword as it is to get an Attack+20 Accuracy +20 Purple Tier sword, but it's really really hard to get an Attack +40 Purple Tier Sword.

But 'casuals' don't have enough Evasion, let's say, for the Accuracy to be necessary. It's nice, but it helps more in PvE or against other 'hardcore' players. The Accuracy 'doesn't affect the fight much'.

Now you have 'Green sword people' fighting 'Purple sword people' and the overall damage done is similar. An Attack +40 Purple Tier Sword would be a 'casual slayer', but would involve a massive investment for a sword that might not hold up in 'even' PvP as well.

I know you appreciate shorter posts, so I'll leave off the rest of stuff that follows on from that.

• Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Perhaps stronger/higher level enchantment scrolls could only be created by players who have achieved various higher ranks in their chosen religion. Each of the different religions could have their own type of special enchantment or enchantments.

An enchantment produced by a Bishop of the Order of Hope (for example) might add an additional +1 to magic attack penetration in addition to its other benefits, while a scroll made by a non-Bishop would lack the +1. If the enhanced item was used by a Bishop or Cardinal of the Order of Hope, they may receive and additional +1 or +2. The Order of Faith might work the same way with edged weapon attacks and the Order of Truth could impact ranged weapons.

Certainly, weapon type is only one possible type of application. There are a wide range of variables that could be applied here and maybe more than one could be on a scroll, so a Cardinal in the Order of Hope could create a scroll with a +2 magic attack, +1 mana regeneration and +1 cast speed, as an example beyond the scroll's basic +3 hit point benefit if it was created by a non-religious character...but the additional effects would only apply if the weapon was used by a player who was a Priest of higher in that Order.

So, the scrolls made by religious experts would be superior to those made by others. Also, the weapons used by religious experts of the same Order as made the scroll on the weapon would receive further advantages. This would make involvement in the religious Orders more attractive, and each Order would tend to be made up of different types of fighters. If the game ends up with religious conflicts, we could even end up with PvP between non-balanced parties, which could prove interesting.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    And just to be clear, this thread isn't supposed to cover 'Enhancing' right?

We don't have to have yet another huge OE discussion?

• Options

I do think Mag is trying to talk about exactly that, because the context is Steven mentioning that the itemization rng in Ashes comes from OE and potential destruction rather than crafting.

I was talking about both vertical and horizontal enchantment from L2. Vertical had the OE rng in the form of destroying the item and weapons/jewelry had horizontal (with a potential of slight verticality) enchantment of getting different effects, stats and resistances.

And both armor and weapons had elemental enchantments (def/atk respectively), which, I'd assume, would relate to atk types in Ashes.

Horizontal enchantments were rng as hell in L2 and elemental only had rng in the chance of the enchantment proccing (the value didn't go down on fail).

And I like that kind of system and all its parts :) Mainly because it all means a shitton of grind and I live for that shit.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Lots of information coming out of the Artisanship Preview livestream! We look forward to seeing all of the feedback, thoughts, and suggestions from the showcase <3
    community_management.gif
  • Options

IT is and anything related to that enchantment, etc. Trying to have people remember it is a thing so maybe we can get questions on a stream and know more about it what their plans are currently. I feel like not enough people are asking about it and it is a big mystery atm.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited December 2023
    sadly i havent watched the stream yet. but i will soon then update this if necessary ;3

ive never liked socketing too much in games. its like...ok i got my gear now i need to go and grind more stones/gems, etc because this is your "real" gear. however, there was a socketing system that i really enjoyed. it was ragnarok online 1 card system. it was mostly a flavor thing over gems i guess?

every monster would drop a unique card with a 0.01% chance (1 in 10,000). seeing that card drop after hours of farming was soo satisfying, even more than going to some crafting station and pressing E. sometimes you would be going from one area to another and killed 1 or 2 random mobs and got the card, that was awesome as well! and these cards were basically your gear. gear without cards was almost the same as being naked.

each card had a unique effect. for example 30% reduction against demi humans (pvp), 30% reduction against brute monsters, or fish, or angels, etc. resistance against freeze or stun or immunity, etc. some cards woudl jus give you attack, and some others would give you strength instead. you get the idea. each one was unique. the only problem was the mvp (boss) cards. they were really hard to get (remember 1 in 10000) but they were really overpower. probably the most famous one is the golden thief bug which would give you complete immunity against any magic (but you would lose the 30% reduction from thara frog that goes on your shield, so other things could kill you faster) and the boss wasnt even that hard to kill!. so probably dont add bosses cards, or at least not too op xD. some cards were kind of useless though

anyways, since ashes is about your soul / essence, etc. each mob could drop a unique type of soul (right now they drop glint, so we are very close) and that can be whatever you socket in your gear.

something that could go a bit more in-line with ashes, since crafting is important in ashes even though i wont like this idea im suggesting next, is that mobs drop a more generic "card" or essence. i suppose glint or a special glint? then you take that one to a crafting station and make the specific "card" or item to socket in your gear. this would help spread the population a little more and make it easier on the farm as well..
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like the system they featured in the crafting livestream today. certain materials are required for a craft and adding others changes the rarity and/or the secondary effects of the item.
  • Options
    darthaden wrote: »
    I like the system they featured in the crafting livestream today. certain materials are required for a craft and adding others changes the rarity and/or the secondary effects of the item.

With this post it is in relation to enchanting that has been talked about. Some people think it will be a system that if you fail a over enchant your gear gets destroyed (so rng). What would you think about that?
  • Options
    Talked about this in the RNG dev discussion and other threads like it.

Enchants should be a guaranteed direct effect for all gear regardless of combat or artisan.
    Having RNG procs on gear and weapons during combat for burst is dumb.
  • Options
    LineagerLineager Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    NiKr wrote: »
    L2 :)

I like this idea :p
  • Options
    I'd hope there nothing like gatcha and destruction mechanics associated with it. To me that never really made sense - an artisan might experiment with a cheap, mass produced piece of gear and risk its destruction, but lets say with this staff made with the crystal of some high end boss? No way. To be forced to repeat the same process of over and over again to rebuild a destroyed item or to get a lucky roll on an enchantment just screams "pointless timesink" to me, because that hides the stupidly high material costs.

If something is supposed to be hard to get, then do it through hard to get materials and blueprints or through a difficult crafting setting (e.g. making it to the Starforge atop this Lich infested tower at night, bring moonwood to fire the embers up there and combine to very exclusive materials there), but lucky rolls? No thank you, gathering and not getting the rare drops from that is already frustrating enough, don't need to lose all previous efforts to a destruction chance prog at the end of the process.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    Kilion wrote: »
    I'd hope there nothing like gatcha and destruction mechanics associated with it. To me that never really made sense - an artisan might experiment with a cheap, mass produced piece of gear and risk its destruction, but lets say with this staff made with the crystal of some high end boss? No way. To be forced to repeat the same process of over and over again to rebuild a destroyed item or to get a lucky roll on an enchantment just screams "pointless timesink" to me, because that hides the stupidly high material costs.

If something is supposed to be hard to get, then do it through hard to get materials and blueprints or through a difficult crafting setting (e.g. making it to the Starforge atop this Lich infested tower at night, bring moonwood to fire the embers up there and combine to very exclusive materials there), but lucky rolls? No thank you, gathering and not getting the rare drops from that is already frustrating enough, don't need to lose all previous efforts to a destruction chance prog at the end of the process.

When people say L2 they are wanting full destruction just so ya know.