Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Do we need a copper currency?

2»

Comments

• Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

In a game-world, you generally need an overarching currency system to tie everything together for ease, and so that you don't only appeal to experienced economists who like playing the spreadsheet-game. That doesn't matter so much in the real world.

I get that, and its a fantasy setting. Different currencies with exchange rates would complicate things. But you still have to suspend disbelief that 9 races mint the same coins or that there isn't a central authority doing so that they all are governed by.

I'm not going to lose sleep over it. It's just another smallish matter that when you examine it seems counterintuitive, even for the setting.
    The girl watched the last of the creatures die and murmured a soft 'Thank you' to her rescuer.

The stranger's eyes lifted to the blood red cloud on the horizon.

'We have to move. It's not safe here.'
  • Options
    Unless coins have weight, there is no game play reason to have different coins of different values. Different coins can help with immersion, but in terms of things that help with immersion it is WAY far down the list compared reputation or NPC reactivity. In the end, I couldn't care less because 1 [lowest value coin] is = to 1 currency unit regardless of whether we have copper, silver, and gold; just gold; or 'crowns' or some other non-material name.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @AnimusRex We don't have to pretend that all the different races and nodes minted the same coins, since they refer to them as types of metal. 1 ounce of gold, regardless if it has the face of an orc or an elf on it, is worth an ounce of gold. Same with silver and copper...it is the value of the underlying metal that is traded, not the image stamped on the metal.

In this the devs are smart, not to call the coins by names, but rather by their base metal.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    @tautau it just makes sense to have it as a numerical value opposed to physical coins representing fractions lol.

That would just irritate people in a video game having coins for halves, quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies.

Thus concluding that a dual denomination system is ideal. Bronze/copper is pointless as it's just another fraction of a fraction lol. A tri-denomination system is pointless other than "immersion".

Our currency bar/menu is going to be filled with various things from common currency, bound currencies such as religion and node. I'd rather have something unique for each coin representation visually.