Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

AoC API for developers

The design of the game API is still under consideration.[110]

So, how far do we know about this?

There will be some kind of webservice where we can pull data and check market prices, nodes status, guild wars, etc, so we can develop websites and create our own online tools?
PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.

Comments

• Options
    I hope they give folks access to this stuff. It really helps communal growth and allows a different type of player to play the game in a completely unique way.
  • Options
    I dont like this. The info should be in game, not outside.
  • Options
    KilionKilion Member
    edited December 2023
    I guess this depends on how necessary Intrepid thinks such a tool would be.
    The "optimal" game in this regard is usually said to be the one that can relay all the data needed within its system. So if we don't have perfect data on things like node growth, guild involvement in a node etc I would at least suspect that Intrepid thinks we do not need these informations to make decisions they deem accurate enough to reach the respective goals behind those decisions.

With that being said: When it comes to ingame information like the one you mentioned, I personally would probably prefer to have the option to get this information in game. This could be done by establishing an NPC Information guild that has its information brokers reside in taverns offering this kind of information for gold (prices adjust with demand). Or it could be done in form of a policy which opens a new bureau in the town hall where such information is freely accessible to players.

The reason why I would prefer this is that with my limited knowledge on how all of this works, it seems that any type of physical (or digital) port to the outside is an additional weakpoint that makes cyber security measures more complicated and therefore costly. Since MMOs already have a lot of these opening from connecting each player to the server, it might not be conducive to export this "meta data" over those channels as well. Hence my - uneducated - prefrence for an "internal" solution.

Though I agree it would be nice to have some way to get your hands on such information.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They have said in the past they plan to limit how much of an API is put out there "in the wild" While many feel they have uses for it, there are others with more nefarious intentions. The plan from Intrepid is to develop needed tools in house to provide players with those functions without allowing others to pervert the intent of an API release. For example, being able to get market data to create blanket websites on what is being offered where, at what price, goes against their intended in game discovery mechanics. Having local markets with no connected central auction houses, except in the case of Economic metro superpower granting a limited world view is intended by design and allowing API data rips would not be intended.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    They have stated no API as of right now.
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited December 2023
    KingDDD wrote: »
    I hope they give folks access to this stuff. It really helps communal growth and allows a different type of player to play the game in a completely unique way.

I would actually say the community growth is better without it when people are figuring thing out in game/asking people or exploring rather and going to a wiki for all the answers.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Veeshan wrote: »

I would actually say the community growth is better without it when people are figuring thing out in game/asking people or exploring rather and going to a wiki for all the answers.

They'll probably go to a gamer made wiki anyways. The days of immersive fantasy gameplay at that level for MMORPG'S is essentially dying or dead unfortunately. A lot of gamers are mindless and just look up "how to" do everything. Design around resistance is good but it is what it is for a majority.
    Shitty age for gaming.
  • Options

They'll probably go to a gamer made wiki anyways. The days of immersive fantasy gameplay at that level for MMORPG'S is essentially dying or dead unfortunately. A lot of gamers are mindless and just look up "how to" do everything. Design around resistance is good but it is what it is for a majority.
    Shitty age for gaming.

i guess you didnt know of a website called gamefaqs who has existed since 1995 xDDD

anyways if people dont wanna check guides, then dont check the guides X_X

but sometimes it feels shitty being stuck on a quest for 2 hours because the quest marker wasnt put in the correct place, then you are just wondering if you did somthing wrong. sometimes the quest is just bugged. like damn either put the marker on the right spot or dont put any markers at all and just give me a hint of what gotta do! these websites will help you out in such cases.
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »

Shitty age for gaming.

i guess you didnt know of a website called gamefaqs who has existed since 1995 xDDD

but sometimes it feels shitty being stuck on a quest for 2 hours because the quest marker wasnt put in the correct place, then you are just wondering if you did somthing wrong. sometimes the quest is just bugged. like damn either put the marker on the right spot or dont put any markers at all and just give me a hint of what gotta do! these websites will help you out in such cases.

There shouldn't be a quest marker in a MMORPG!
  • Options
    BlackBrony wrote: »
    Depraved wrote: »

Shitty age for gaming.

There shouldn't be a quest marker in a MMORPG!

ok but if there is one, at least do it right.

also why not? as someone who hates questing and has ptsd from quests in ro and l2, i love markers.
  • Options

Shitty age for gaming.

however wiki will be somewhat harder to keep since all servers will be somewhat different depending on how world develops. Might see a politic map for each server be made games like darkfall ended up with those from players