Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How to fix spell effects

Intrepid Studios has been generous in revealing a myriad of spell effects across various classes, showcasing their dedication to diverse gameplay experiences. However, as we've explored these effects, it's hard to ignore the feeling that they're just not good. Let's take a closer look together.
vnopdvz1zjf9.png
0b1yf4x0alu3.png
8tkqdurjbfw6.png

While it's tempting to attribute the issues to bloom, it's worth noting that some spell effects suffered from excessive light emission. While the allure of flashy visuals can enhance the epic nature of spell effects, one may question whether such intensity is essential, especially in basic spells and standard attacks.

My initial concerns about the spell quality in this game were put to rest when Intrepid Studios unveiled what can only be described as the holy grail of abilities. The recent showcase of the "snipe_v2" ability stands out as their most remarkable creation to date, and I believe many will concur with this sentiment. Let's delve into the details together and draw comparisons with previous spells.

Initial animation
While the previous snipe animation wasn't inherently flawed, it didn't quite capture the true power and essence of the spell, as illustrated below.
o739ir552gmb.png

The revamped snipe_v2 truly encapsulates the essence of unleashing a potent and impactful shot.
prvehw1bwu2h.png
8pg31kfgwhmt.png
44r4r4ubpn40.png

Arrow trail
Previously, the effects were overly bloomy and intense without apparent justification, making them challenging to observe comfortably.
0b1yf4x0alu3.png
ejoe1g1b2b74.png

While the arrow spell effect wasn't the worst among others, it still left much to be desired. Now, take a look at how they have beautifully reworked it.
wgi0zs40bpbc.png
bpowl9op3pl7.png
qdke0dz0ey5r.png

Light emission
As mentioned earlier, the issue of excessive light emission is evident in the example below. It not only lacks a natural aesthetic but also feels disconnected from the immersive world around it.
inw7hca0obor.png

Turning our attention to snipe_v2, it's evident that the spell emits light, but the execution is subtle, visually pleasing, and seamlessly integrates with the surrounding environment.
3m3cqsxk4ra2.png

Summary
Intrepid Studios is making commendable strides in the right direction. The cast animation of snipe_v2 is not only visually appealing but also aligns seamlessly with the spell's inherent power. The arrow's trail is well-executed, striking a balance between aesthetics and subtlety. The spell remains recognizable without overwhelming onlookers with excessive brightness. I believe that most of the spells should emit light, so it's refreshing to see a spell that emits light in a refined manner, as demonstrated by snipe_v2. I am hopeful that Intrepid will extend this level of quality to other spell effects in their future work.

Comments

• Options
    True, the spell soup has gotten better.

Its a natural progress. First you create visually epic spells. Secondly you tune it to work in a setting and with plural people. Great job, Intrepid!
  • Options
    ScarcticScarctic Member
    edited December 2023
    Also, tone down the excessive use of anime jumps, and backflips or you never get your floaty combat issues fixed. I need weight for my attacks when they count and when it makes sense for them to feel like that. At the same time do we need the flexibility to move around while doing combos and other lighter spells and abilities? You are on it with the fine-tuning I know it but the animations have to speak the same language and need to be toned to a degree where they fit the style of the world and lore.

I don't like too flashy light effects for no reason, and body movements with no sense of weight, meaning, and effectiveness.

(ranger jump while shooting down... and the fighter whirlwind attack... yes we know ranger jump around and fighter classes want to get dizzy like ballerinas... who the hell made that bullshit a common theme in the RPG genre?!...)

We can add a slight but noticeable progress curve in animations, where the more skilled you are in an ability the more effective and fine-tuned to the class fantasy it looks. Practice makes perfect. And immediately you know what level of proficiency you are up against in combat.
    Does anyone know the game Gothic? :p
    q79i8hmfb0bk.png
  • Options
    the color palettes are too florescent in some of these effects and could use some toning down
  • Options
    Scarctic wrote: »
    Does anyone know the game Gothic? :p
    Ah yes, famous polish game :)

• Options
    TryolTryol Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited December 2023
    IMO this is easily the worst looking part of the game currently, although only because almost everything else looks amazing.

I hope Snipe v2 is the new direction they are taking all the skill FX in.
    Down with the bloom & intense light emission! 🥳
  • Options
    @Snekkers archers are just bow casters. Rarely see a true archer design without magic imbued on everything these days.
  • Options
    @Snekkers archers are just bow casters. Rarely see a true archer design without magic imbued on everything these days.

exactly, and snipe_v2 gives me vibes of spell effect but not bow caster, which is cool. A lot of games that tries to do ranger not bow caster struggle to make good spell effects for ranger
  • Options
    Snekkers wrote: »

exactly, and snipe_v2 gives me vibes of spell effect but not bow caster, which is cool. A lot of games that tries to do ranger not bow caster struggle to make good spell effects for ranger

It's still a bow caster to me based on what I have currently seen. They are going for a flashy game and we have not even seen how augments affect them yet either. Every archetype is magical just like the other MMORPG'S. I get there needs to be some flair to the abilities but I suppose this is what they're going for.
  • Options
    SolunaSoluna Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Overall I´m okay with how the spells look so far. I don´t love them yet but imo they have definitely improved over the last months/years!
    There are still some spells that I don´t like at all (which is just my opinion ofc :smile: ) like the "Ball Lightning" skill (mage) and I hope that they´ll modify them a bit, too. What I don´t like there is that the ball is just huge compared to the characters and the environment.
    For the cleric (since I´ve always been a cleric main) I´d love to see some kind of "light channeling spell". Since light to me is the source of healing they could make a spell where the character maybe channels light with its hands to then release it to the group or something similar.

But yea, overall I still think that the combat and the spell effects are the weakest point in Ashes and that they still need the most work.
    Soluna_signature.png
  • Options
    I think they should add different pattern colors to the spells, and lower down the light, and add some shadows.. the ''spirits'' they are using it looks very indie, amateur, hopefully they will fix it
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Very well put together thread :) You did a great job of using visual examples to supplement your points!

As always, we appreciate your feedback and understanding that everything we show is Alpha gameplay, and a work in progress! <3
    community_management.gif