Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Suggestion] Small improvement to point lights

SnekkersSnekkers Member
edited December 2023 in General Discussion
I must commend Intrepid Studios for making the nights darker, a decision that was indeed a step in the right direction, and I appreciate that they listened to player feedback. However, with the darker nights, a new concern has come to light—one that I believed should be a relatively straightforward fix and could significantly enhance the nocturnal ambiance. The issue in question pertains to the lanterns in the village; currently, their emitted light is nearly negligible, and what little light they do produce is dense and doesn't spread naturally, lacking the realism one would expect in such an environment.
zevg1i9hpfaa.png

If we examine other games, it becomes evident that they excel in portraying nighttime lighting. I genuinely hope to see Ashes of Creation elevate its nocturnal atmosphere to match or surpass the standards set by these games. Wishing you a wonderful day!
v3w6p812im6w.png
chmspjvsf8z7.png
dv0y5s7s3lhj.png

Comments

• Options
    ScarcticScarctic Member
    edited December 2023
    I wouldn't call that excelling. But the second picture goes in the right direction. Is that Final Fantasy?
    A bigger range of light esp. under the Lumen system with evenly distributed lighting calculations would be the way to go.

I don't want fully enlightened environments with mere torches...
    There are natural limits in our heads to that.
    Look at the Red Dead Redemption picture that's too bright and the Resident Evil remake looks too bright too. If there isn't a full moon all the time I won't buy that.

Also, the blinding effect of dark and bright contrasts should be everywhere.
    I like how Intrepid does that already. They just have to put more lights and a little more range on them.
    Our fellow rogues and other sneaky folks out there want to be unseen in the nightly back alleys right? ;)
    Where is the sense of danger when everything is as bright as day at night...

OFC there should be ways to illuminate the path you are heading, with portable lanterns, torches, caravan lights, fireballs, etc.... so much night content from guarding to ambushing and night active creatures roaming the wilderness... "Never go into the forest alone at night", I always liked that quote. ;)
    q79i8hmfb0bk.png
  • Options
    Scarctic wrote: »
    I wouldn't call that excelling. But the second picture goes in the right direction. Is that Final Fantasy?
    A bigger range of light esp. under the Lumen system with evenly distributed lighting calculations would be the way to go.

I don't want fully enlightened environments with mere torches...
    There are natural limits in our heads to that.
    Look at the Red Dead Redemption picture that's too bright and the Resident Evil remake looks too bright too. If there isn't a full moon all the time I won't buy that.

Also, the blinding effect of dark and bright contrasts should be everywhere.
    I like how Intrepid does that already. They just have to put more lights and a little more range on them.
    Our fellow rogues and other sneaky folks out there want to be unseen in the nightly back alleys right? ;)
    Where is the sense of danger when everything is as bright as day at night...

OFC there should be ways to illuminate the path you are heading, with portable lanterns, torches, caravan lights, fireballs, etc.... so much night content from guarding to ambushing and night active creatures roaming the wilderness... "Never go into the forest alone at night", I always liked that quote. ;)

You are right, that's why I put the best example (It's actually LEGO: Fortnite) at the top. I think that is perfect example of light should be handled at night in ashes. I don't expect village to be bright, but I want to see the light from lanterns.
    i1wfbdaytejz.png
  • Options
    if the lighting is most likely flame-based it could use some flicker with a warm tone, if magic-based, who knows
  • Options
    I figured I will also add some real life reference.. I want nothing more than this
    wxrkyvofiqcu.png

Its not insane bright, village would still be darkish.. but imagine going through the village with lights like that and also imagine seeing those lights in the distance.. so good
  • Options
    Snekkers wrote: »
    I figured I will also add some real life reference.. I want nothing more than this
    wxrkyvofiqcu.png

Its not insane bright, village would still be darkish.. but imagine going through the village with lights like that and also imagine seeing those lights in the distance.. so good

is that a real life pic or is there some lightroom cc on it? i have used torches and they dont illuminate that much. ive also used gas lamps and lanterns and id say they look like nothing on the pics you posted. if anything, those pics seem artificial, but it is kind of necessary so people can actually see the game xD
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    wxrkyvofiqcu.png

is that a real life pic or is there some lightroom cc on it? i have used torches and they dont illuminate that much. ive also used gas lamps and lanterns and id say they look like nothing on the pics you posted. if anything, those pics seem artificial, but it is kind of necessary so people can actually see the game xD

im not sure if its photo or artifitial stylied to be photo, but light light from the torch is achibale if you have strong torch.. and probb some filters in photoshop, nevertheless, it looks good, ashes should aim for something similar
  • Options
    wxrkyvofiqcu.png

im not sure if its photo or artifitial stylied to be photo, but light light from the torch is achibale if you have strong torch.. and probb some filters in photoshop, nevertheless, it looks good, ashes should aim for something similar

yeah it looks good. but you gotta make up your mind. are we going for realism or believability? id say believability > realism. things would also be very difficult to see if we had lights exactly how they were in real, unless u have a lot of them like in the city pic.
  • Options
    wxrkyvofiqcu.png

yeah it looks good. but you gotta make up your mind. are we going for realism or believability? id say believability > realism. things would also be very difficult to see if we had lights exactly how they were in real, unless u have a lot of them like in the city pic.

we go for anything that looks authentic. So light spread should look authentic, amount of light should be balanced to make it look good and be usable.